The Student Room Group

Cardiff or Southbank? Please help!

Hi everyone, I have a dilemma! I am currently choosing between Cardiff uni and London South Bank uni and I like them both equally… here’s my problem, I have predicted grades AAB and i would need AAB to get into Cardiff but I am very unlikely to get the B and my grades will likely fall somewhere between these: (AAC-ABD). I do have an unconditional offer from South bank which would be the easy option but because it’s unconditional if I firm the offer I lose my Cardiff application also. As the grade boundaries are lower for southbank I could firm Cardiff and then keep southbank as my insurance however I cannot wait around until results day as the accommodation for both will be booked up! Do I firm Cardiff and book accommodation while risking the last minute scramble for southbank if I don’t get in… or do I just accept my unconditional for southbank and risk being disappointed on results day if I did manage to scrape that B grade?? Please help!
Reply 1
It depends what is most important to you. Getting accommodation at your insurance or going to your preferred university? There's no problem getting accommodation at Cardiff so you need to do some more research perhaps to see how likely it is to get accommodation at South bank after results day. Also, Cardiff is very flexible with grades on results day so if you drop a grade or 2 there's a good chance you might still get in. Life is all about taking calculated risks for what you really want but those risks will be based on your priorities. No one here can decide that for you, only you can.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Makro
It depends what is most important to you. Getting accommodation at your insurance or going to your preferred university? There's no problem getting accommodation at Cardiff so you need to do some more research perhaps to see how likely it is to get accommodation at South bank after results day. Also, Cardiff is very flexible with grades on results day so if you drop a grade or 2 there's a good chance you might still get in. Life is all about taking calculated risks for what you really want but those risks will be based on your priorities. No one here can decide that for you, only you can.

Hi, thanks so much for your response- you make some good points! Interesting that you say that Cardiff is flexible as when I went to an applicant open days the speaker said that even if you are one grade below there’s a slim chance of getting in so I’m really hoping you are correct here!! I’ll do some research and reevaluate but thanks again for replying I’m super stressed lol :smile:
(Original post by Jessunievans)Hi, thanks so much for your response- you make some good points! Interesting that you say that Cardiff is flexible as when I went to an applicant open days the speaker said that even if you are one grade below there’s a slim chance of getting in so I’m really hoping you are correct here!! I’ll do some research and reevaluate but thanks again for replying I’m super stressed lol :smile:

What subject is tis for. Cardiff are strict about a few subject but less strict about others. Nobody will know until results days when universities find out how many have achieved their grades.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by Jessunievans)Hi, thanks so much for your response- you make some good points! Interesting that you say that Cardiff is flexible as when I went to an applicant open days the speaker said that even if you are one grade below there’s a slim chance of getting in so I’m really hoping you are correct here!! I’ll do some research and reevaluate but thanks again for replying I’m super stressed lol :smile:

What subject is tis for. Cardiff are strict about a few subject but less strict about others. Nobody will know until results days when universities find out how many have achieved their grades.

Hi, it’s for Media and Communications. Politics a-level is going to be my downfall :frown:
Original post by Jessunievans
Hi, it’s for Media and Communications. Politics a-level is going to be my downfall :frown:

I doubt they will be ultra strict over that
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
I doubt they will be ultra strict over that

Yeah I think it’s less the strictness and more the amount of applicants because their media and journalism campus is quite popular. Are you at university now?
Reply 7
Go to Cardiff.

LSBU is a third-rate Uni and not worth the money.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Go to Cardiff.

LSBU is a third-rate Uni and not worth the money.

I appreciate the honesty 😂 Thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending