The Student Room Group

Volunteering and extra curricular.

How much volunteering or extra curricular work do you actually need to get in at a university like Manchester for genetics or chemistry? My college keeps saying that without either you've got no chance. Is this true?

Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
extra curricular stuff related to your degree is invaluable and will be a great help

extra curricular stuff in general... won't make much of a difference, grades are far more important
Reply 2
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
extra curricular stuff related to your degree is invaluable and will be a great help

extra curricular stuff in general... won't make much of a difference, grades are far more important

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by didgeridoo12uk

I disagree. Obviously grades for Science based subjects are important, as are related experiences (which becomes even more important to keep up while you're at uni), but non related things can also show you're a well rounded person.
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
I disagree. Obviously grades for Science based subjects are important, as are related experiences (which becomes even more important to keep up while you're at uni), but non related things can also show you're a well rounded person.

yes and maybe good for job interviews. BUT ask any university admissions tutors and grades will always win
Reply 5
I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to write a personal statement without having done any extra curricular stuff.
Original post by deadwing
I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to write a personal statement without having done any extra curricular stuff.

You can always spin out your hobbies to fill the space. It really is not hard to write a good personal statement with little extra curricular activities.
Reply 7
Original post by Politics Student
You can always spin out your hobbies to fill the space. It really is not hard to write a good personal statement with little extra curricular activities.

I would have said hobbies basically are extra curricular activities...
Original post by deadwing
I would have said hobbies basically are extra curricular activities...

I should have said 'limited hobbies'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending