The Student Room Group

are my extracurriculars enough to stand out? i’m in year 10

hi!

i’m in year 10. my grades are 99998888777. is what i do outside of school enough for my application to stand out from everyone else’s ?

for context, i’m looking to study international relations and law (at a top uni)! i feel like i am gifted to speak and write.

here they are:

school’s junior leadership team member

debate mate contestant (currently 6th in london, 8th nationally)

ben kinsella trust youth ambassador

grassroots student advisor

wecanbe organisation member

local library volunteer

my pocket skill tutor (maths, english and science)

race and social justice club president

humdum charity volunteer

HPQ

badminton club member

awards:

headteacher’s award (outstanding contributions made to school life throughout the year)
excellence award
(high grades)
highest attainment in the year
(top 2% - 4th/180)

that’s all i can think of. tell me what you think!
Original post by studytee
hi!

i’m in year 10. my grades are 99998888777. is what i do outside of school enough for my application to stand out from everyone else’s ?

for context, i’m looking to study international relations and law (at a top uni)! i feel like i am gifted to speak and write.

here they are:

local library volunteer

humdum charity volunteer

HPQ

badminton club member

awards:

headteacher’s award (outstanding contributions made to school life throughout the year)
excellence award
(high grades)
(top 2% - 4th/180)

Focus on your GCSEs ...

What are you doing in your subjects outside the curriculum? UKMT challenges? Reading? MOOCs?
you are doing a lot imo which is good. one thing to know tho is that quality over quantity. unis want to see how ur extra curriculars have made you a better candidate. also make sure to prioritise getting all 9s as this will help the most early on at this stage.

i also suggest you look at uni websites as they often list the skills they are looking for. also do your own research at what skills are required for ur career. make sure all of them are covered with the best extra curriculars.
(edited 1 month ago)
Generally, no (sorry of that bad news)

Top universities are looking for super curricular rather than extra curriculars - ie what have you don’t extra for your subjects (international relations and law)

Have you been to any lectures? Attended court to see what goes on? Done work experience for a solicitor? Volunteered at citizens advice bureau? Learned another language? Read any books on the subject?

How can you demonstrate a love for the subject you want to know more about and how do your extra curriculars = super curriculars demonstrate this is the question you need to ask

Not that you need too worry as you are in year 10 and have bags of time but you do need to think about how you demonstrate an interest about the subject beyond attending lessons at school.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Generally, no (sorry of that bad news)

Top universities are looking for super curricular rather than extra curriculars - ie what have you don’t extra for your subjects (international relations and law)

Have you been to any lectures? Attended court to see what goes on? Done work experience for a solicitor? Volunteered at citizens advice bureau? Learned another language? Read any books on the subject?

How can you demonstrate a love for the subject you want to know more about and how do your extra curriculars = super curriculars demonstrate this is the question you need to ask

Not that you need too worry as you are in year 10 and have bags of time but you do need to think about how you demonstrate an interest about the subject beyond attending lessons at school.

okay,
i study french at school. i’m a native yoruba speaker.
every day, i complete lecture work from mitopencourseware. (intro to black studies)
i am currently doing a hpq answering ‘when should one country legally intervene in another, when it comes to human rights abuses?’ i feel this feeds into my future ambition. you need tons of sources, including articles and books, (top marks) so that’s my outer reading. (hpq is outside the curriculum)
my sister is a solicitor, she shows me the ins and outs of her job. sometimes, she’ll make me a case study and see how i go about it.
as you can see, i’m doing what is actually in my reach right now, at 15. i’m being realistic

thanks
Seems like you already know the answer to your question.
Was your OP just an attempt to get people to boost your ego?
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
if you actually read the replies, you’d see i’m getting valuable advice! hope this helps 😀
okay,
every day, i complete lecture work from mitopencourseware. (intro to black studies)
i am currently doing a hpq answering ‘when should one country legally intervene in another, when it comes to human rights abuses?’ i feel this feeds into my future ambition. you need tons of sources, including articles and books, (top marks) so that’s my outer reading. (hpq is outside the curriculum)
my sister is a solicitor, she shows me the ins and outs of her job. sometimes, she’ll make me a case study and see how i go about it.
as you can see, i’m doing what is actually in my reach right now, at 15. i’m being realistic

thanks
That’s good

This is the kind of thing I would mention

Good luck with your studies
Reply 8
Original post by Johnny Valentine
okay,

thanks
That’s good

This is the kind of thing I would mention

Good luck with your studies

thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by PQ

even if it was to boost ego, who cares? they should feel confident in their ability to perform and getting a look at where they stand in comparison to others in their cohort by posting online will be useful

they genuinely seem to have a passion and care for their subject, and they’re taking the advice well
Reply 10
hey!

i’d look into the christs college lpn summer school with university of cambridge if i was you. this is a good example of showing a super curricular as you get to study law for five days and see if you enjoy it. doing summer schools is very fun, you meet likeminded people and learn what it’s like to study at undergraduate level. but keep in mind that you shouldn’t have to pay for a summer school and any summer school you do have to pay for is probably a scam (companies rent uni accommodation during summer and hire their own lecturers, it’s not a legit thing of the university themselves)

unis will try to see the steps you have taken to develop your interests and based off of what you’re doing it all looks super good. when you’re writing a personal statement (not anytime soon so don’t worry i’m just trying to give you some perspective) they’re trying to see that you did x to learn about ‘specific niche in subject’ and you thought x, which confirmed/ changed your mind and lead you to research/do y. even if you didn’t like what you did or changed your mind that’s good as it shows you can reflect and analyse. critical thinking is really important

i don’t know much about ir but if you’re interested in that then look into lse student shadowing and you can do that when your eligible (perhaps when you’re older idk if a year ten can do it)

there’s some job simulations on forage and springpod that are virtual and you can have a go at completing or there’s young professionals and uptree for in person events you can attend.

seriously don’t stress about anything i have mentioned you’re already in a great position from a young age but i’ve given you some pointers to think about in the next couple years :smile: you’re doing amazing, don’t burn yourself out by keeping up with so much and focus on your gcses. it’s completely fine to give some of these up, if not all, when the workload feels overwhelming as i’m sure you’ve already learned what you need from doing it for a bit
Reply 11
Original post by rumxisx
hey!

i’d look into the christs college lpn summer school with university of cambridge if i was you. this is a good example of showing a super curricular as you get to study law for five days and see if you enjoy it. doing summer schools is very fun, you meet likeminded people and learn what it’s like to study at undergraduate level. but keep in mind that you shouldn’t have to pay for a summer school and any summer school you do have to pay for is probably a scam (companies rent uni accommodation during summer and hire their own lecturers, it’s not a legit thing of the university themselves)

unis will try to see the steps you have taken to develop your interests and based off of what you’re doing it all looks super good. when you’re writing a personal statement (not anytime soon so don’t worry i’m just trying to give you some perspective) they’re trying to see that you did x to learn about ‘specific niche in subject’ and you thought x, which confirmed/ changed your mind and lead you to research/do y. even if you didn’t like what you did or changed your mind that’s good as it shows you can reflect and analyse. critical thinking is really important

i don’t know much about ir but if you’re interested in that then look into lse student shadowing and you can do that when your eligible (perhaps when you’re older idk if a year ten can do it)

there’s some job simulations on forage and springpod that are virtual and you can have a go at completing or there’s young professionals and uptree for in person events you can attend.

seriously don’t stress about anything i have mentioned you’re already in a great position from a young age but i’ve given you some pointers to think about in the next couple years :smile: you’re doing amazing, don’t burn yourself out by keeping up with so much and focus on your gcses. it’s completely fine to give some of these up, if not all, when the workload feels overwhelming as i’m sure you’ve already learned what you need from doing it for a bit

these are so so so helpful! thank you a million times for your support ❤️
hi!

here they are:

local library volunteer

humdum charity volunteer

HPQ

badminton club member

awards:

excellence award
(high grades)
(top 2% - 4th/180)

Definitely. Very impressive. You have an amazing start and you definitely will be doing more extracurricular activities. Btw this part „my pocket skill tutor (maths, english and science)“ won’t be relevant.
The are impressive but to be honest with you they won’t make much of a difference to your offers.
hi!
here they are:
local library volunteer
humdum charity volunteer
HPQ
badminton club member
awards:
excellence award
(high grades)
(top 2% - 4th/180)
it is a wonderful start try and get your gcses up to all 9s. as you want to be at a top uni, so lets say oxford they want as many 9s as possible. other unis will give less emphasis, may look at your LNAT

do super curricular and work experience, moocs and more competitions should be fine. just do well gcse's wise and a level wise and I hope you get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending