The Student Room Group

Vet school application extra curricular

Hi, I’ve heard from a lot of people that unis look a lot at extra curricular activities that you do when applying, I’m in year 12 and have never done any extra curricular except from 2-3 years of figure skating because my academic life took over as I struggled at school a lot and only got minimal grades ( I even got a 3 in Spanish). Will vet schools reject me due to lack of extracurricular activities?
Reply 1
Extra curriculars aren’t overly important although will help strengthen your application. The main thing you need to get (regardless of actual requirements) is work experience, you need to atleast have an idea of what you are getting yourself in for. Most people have no idea what vets actually do besides the obvious stuff and so getting that WEX is paramount to not only getting your place but also lasting in vet school and making it a career!
Original post by Tiffanydee
Hi, I’ve heard from a lot of people that unis look a lot at extra curricular activities that you do when applying, I’m in year 12 and have never done any extra curricular except from 2-3 years of figure skating because my academic life took over as I struggled at school a lot and only got minimal grades ( I even got a 3 in Spanish). Will vet schools reject me due to lack of extracurricular activities?

When i applied i found that vet schools don't really care about extra circulars. What they care about is what you learned. So with my extra circulars i focused on my team building, problem solving, communication etc. You can tie all of that into vet school. If you can add things in like figure skating that may show you are more well rounded but it's about what you gained from experiences. I even spoke about things like helping at open days and stuff! They won't reject you purely on lack of extra-cirriculars (i also got a low grade in my language!)
Reply 3
Original post by flamingolover

When i applied i found that vet schools don't really care about extra circulars. What they care about is what you learned. So with my extra circulars i focused on my team building, problem solving, communication etc. You can tie all of that into vet school. If you can add things in like figure skating that may show you are more well rounded but it's about what you gained from experiences. I even spoke about things like helping at open days and stuff! They won't reject you purely on lack of extra-cirriculars (i also got a low grade in my language!)

Thank you so much for the information.
No, neither of my children did loads of extra curricular. As others gave said it is about using what you learnt in things you have done. Think about what you skills you need to be a good vet student and vet. E. G working in a team, time management, resisilence. Apply things you have done to those skills. You are starting to prepare early so that's good. Volunteer at school for helping at events or supporting younger pupils. Your figure skating is a way to relax and take a break from the pressures of studying - you don't have to be an elite athlete. Work experience(takes time to build up) :-Call in at the vets, many have a waiting list for taking on students. Other experience for animal handling. Don't just send emails phone or visit them. Do you have family or friends that know people who have a farm or work at a rescue centre. Who you know is often a big help. Good luck.
Original post by Tiffanydee

You are in year 12 just create a vet society or join a school club if you have a job you can talk about skills gained from that or you can do some volunteering or mentor a student in a younger group

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending