The Student Room Group

A Canadian Citizen Going to Europe for Medicine?

Hello all,

So I'm currently a high school student in Ontario, Canada, and I want to be a doctor. Over here we need to do 4 years of a Science undergrad and then 4 years of Medical School for a total of 8 years and then we start our residency/training/intern-ship. I know that in the EU (preferably places that teach in English) you study for 6 years from high school and then you can start your residency program.

I'm interested in going to the UK (or any English speaking member of the EU) for medical school because 1) it takes less time and 2) I want to live and work in Europe for the rest of my life anyway.

I am just wondering what the application process is, what Universities I can apply to (in Western Europe), how competitive it is to get it, when the application is due, if I'll need to write an exam or an essay to get in, and if this is overall a good idea.

I speak fluent English, so I'd like to study in that language. I'm 17 years old and will graduate high school in June. Any help would be appreciated, even if just about the life of European students compared to North American ones. I tried looking this information up, but everything is so confusing and there's lots of acronyms I don't understand.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending