The Student Room Group

Derren Brown - Apocalypse

Scroll to see replies

Just enjoy the show man :unimpressed:
Original post by N_Thuduwage
Just enjoy the show man :unimpressed:

But it seems so fake!
Reply 22
I agree that some of the acting was terrible. Obviously the guy was chosen for his gullibility. I wouldn't be having any of it.
Reply 23
Terrible acting from the girl.

The guy doesn't seem overly scared either. He just looks like he is in mild shock.

Ian was a great actor though!

On a side note, not having it for a second that Derren Brown (or anyone) can send someone to sleep that quickly.
Reply 24
If he commits suicide then hopefully the pretentious smug ******* brown won't be on our screen anymore.
I've seen hypnotists put people to sleep, but it's taken them at least 3 or 4 minutes, usually with music in the background. No way can you touch someone and put them to sleep... unless Derren Brown happens to have sedatives embedded in his fingertips.
Original post by Dorito
Terrible acting from the girl.

The guy doesn't seem overly scared either. He just looks like he is in mild shock.

Ian was a great actor though!

On a side note, not having it for a second that Derren Brown (or anyone) can send someone to sleep that quickly.

Rapid hypnosis induction. It's fairly well known.
There's something kinda pathetic about a man-child being subjected to a big childish game of pretend in an attempt to force him to grow up. I don't really see what he will take away from the experience other than a "I thought I was in a zombie invasion once" anecdote to tell his completely disinterested co-worker as they drive around in the van.

As for fake or not, I think with Derren Brown shows you just have to go along with them. It's impossible to tell as a viewer. Have to admit I did wonder how much money would have been wasted if something went wrong at the last moment though.
Reply 28
Making that taxi driver forget where the london eye was when he was right next to it seemed more impressive than these 'spectaculars' which are all a bit samey now imo.
Fwiw he did a very similar one a few years ago where he had a chap believe a zombie videogame had come true.
Original post by Toomanyoptions
But it seems so fake!

Doesn't matter.
Sorry if this spoils anything for anyone, but looking at his brother's Twitter (Barry Brosnan), he's retweeted a comment that makes me feel suspicious: https://twitter.com/ChribHibble/status/261933565187596289
Reply 31
Obviously it's all a huge trick, everything Derren Brown does is, but it was amazing to see how believeable the whole situation was. It was cool to see the reactions of the man, yet it's not exactly ethically right to do that to someone i'm sure? :rolleyes:
It still amuses me how people literally worship Derren Brown like he's God or something.
I expect the big crescendo will involve a self-awakening for the TV audience that they will happily watch something that's all kinds of illegal and immoral if an authority figure tells them it's ok - a bit like Milgram's experiment on obedience.
Reply 34
I think it will be like condemned, the film where at the end there is a massive guilt trip for the audience.

They put a lot of money into setting it up, they simply wouldn't risk a random error messing the whole thing up by the letting the guy be oblivious to the truth. I think it's funny that when they announced they thought BACTERIA was on the asteroids and no one blinked an eyelid. That would be the most important discovery in the history of science! Also without the main character being an actor it would be impossible to get over legal barriers that would shut the show down. I mean total wipe out had to be filmed outside UK, but letting a man believe his whole world has ended is ok? When the first man first meets the girl, he could have easily just smashed her head against the wall and killed her, the risk is just to high to let a 'Saw' challenge be legal. Still enjoyable an interesting to watch and listen to peoples responses to the program which is ultimately what Derren brown is trying to achieve.
Reply 35
"Apocalypse unleashes Derren Brown's most audacious plan yet - to convince one person that the planet has been devastated by a catastrophic meteorite strike, that lethal infected now roam the land and he is one of a mere handful of survivors.

Our 'survivor' is someone who takes life for granted, and has yet to truly value what he has. The adventure that awaits him is meticulously crafted to give him the ultimate wake-up call, and teach him valuable life-lessons.

Will he rise to the challenge?"

Did anyone watch it last night? What did you think of it?

Here's a link to the first of two episodes if you want to see it:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/4od#3430559
LOL I cannot believe people actually fall for half the stuff he does.
I watched it and I wasn't quite sure what to think of it.

Like would a guy actually 100% believe it was true?

Part of me doubts it...
Reply 39

I'll delete this thread thead then

Edit: Don't know how to :/
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest