The Student Room Group

Starting AS with confidence booklet - errors!?

Hello, I saw this booklet linked to on here.

00 Starting AS with confidence 2008 booklet.pdf

I'm working through it and finding it useful. It's about the right level for me. (I did maths O-level 40 years back, and am thinking of trying A level)

HOWEVER I have a problem with the errors in it!
(I'm only up to exercise 6 and found 4 errors so far.)
Some are pretty obvious, but as you get further on they start to be harder to get your head around.
Are they deliberate? (I wouldn't have thought so?)
Anyone else noticed this?
Original post by mortarmonster

Doubt if many people are using it. It was produced by Uckfield college, and the website ref at the end goes to an invalid page, so I doubt if it's being maintained/corrected.
With many texts you will find a number of errors with some being reasonable and some being simply awful.
I dont think it detracts from a book too much if there are some slight mistakes in the workings but often pupils can lose confidence if the book is riddled.
An example of one riddled is the M1 Edexcel book which has a number of awful errors in worked examples that have you sayinf "Surely someone spotted that before it went to print"
The booklet you have posted would/could be a nice bridge from GCSE to AS Level as a 'preamble' for the course.
Some of it seems very obvious though and perhaps not required.
Reply 3
Original post by m4ths/maths247

The booklet you have posted would/could be a nice bridge from GCSE to AS Level as a 'preamble' for the course.
Some of it seems very obvious though and perhaps not required.

It's quite good for someone like me who's been away from maths a long time, as it gives me the confidence that I haven't forgotten it all!

But those errors in textbooks etc make me wonder about errors in marking exams?!

Quick Reply

Latest