The Student Room Group

University Options - Computer Science

I'm looking into my university options based on current grades at AS. Right now I'm working at:

A* - A Level Maths
A* - A Level Physics
A* - BTEC National ICT (Both years completed, 2 years ago)

GCSE Results

4 A*'s
4 B's
5 C's

I would have taken Further Maths, however they don't run the class at our school as no other student would take it. BTEC National ICT is the only ICT course offered, and I can't get an A Level option sadly. My options are between Imperial College London and Oxford University. I've already checked with Imperial, and they're fine with my BTEC. Would Oxford be fine with my BTEC or would they be asking for another A Level at A*/A?

I also actively take part in a role of a friends company, designing and developing in a variety of languages - just to mention although the CompSci course isn't all synonymously based on programming.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Pirus
I'm looking into my university options based on current grades at AS. Right now I'm working at:

A* - A Level Maths
A* - A Level Physics
A* - BTEC National ICT (Both years completed, 2 years ago)

GCSE Results

4 A*'s
4 B's
5 C's

I would have taken Further Maths, however they don't run the class at our school as no other student would take it. BTEC National ICT is the only ICT course offered, and I can't get an A Level option sadly. My options are between Imperial College London and Oxford University. I've already checked with Imperial, and they're fine with my BTEC. Would Oxford be fine with my BTEC or would they be asking for another A Level at A*/A?

I also actively take part in a role of a friends company, designing and developing in a variety of languages - just to mention although the CompSci course isn't all synonymously based on programming.

Could you be a little more specific about your BTEC National, please -- there are a whole host of qualifications that go by this name. It might be best if you can identify the qualification from the UCAS tariff tables http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/. We will accept the Extended Diploma plus A Level Maths; and we would accept the Diploma or 90 Credit Diploma plus your two A Levels; but if you're doing the Subsidiary Diploma then we'd be less happy and we might want you to boost your qualifications a little. I'm also a bit confused by your prediction of an A*: I thought all the BTECs received grades like D or D*.
Reply 2
Original post by gavinlowe
Could you be a little more specific about your BTEC National, please -- there are a whole host of qualifications that go by this name. It might be best if you can identify the qualification from the UCAS tariff tables http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/. We will accept the Extended Diploma plus A Level Maths; and we would accept the Diploma or 90 Credit Diploma plus your two A Levels; but if you're doing the Subsidiary Diploma then we'd be less happy and we might want you to boost your qualifications a little. I'm also a bit confused by your prediction of an A*: I thought all the BTECs received grades like D or D*.

D* = 2 A*s at A Level - It's not a diploma, it's a BTEC National Certificate. Also, that has already been achieved. Wouldn't my industry experience be taken into account also?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Pirus
D* = 2 A*s at A Level - It's not a diploma, it's a BTEC National Certificate. Also, that has already been achieved.

I see: the NQF rather than the QCF scheme (I've only just worked out the difference; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualifications_and_Credit_Framework). Yes, that plus your two A Levels would certainly be acceptable.

Wouldn't my industry experience be taken into account also?

It would certainly be taken into account as part of your overall application; but it wouldn't affect your offer (if your application were successful).
Reply 4
Seems they advise me not to apply as I haven't taken the Further Mathematics A-Level. I'll still consider applying, but really I'm looking for the best university between Oxford and Cambridge that will accomodate my current qualifications.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pirus
Seems they advise me not to apply as I haven't taken the Further Mathematics A-Level. I'll still consider applying, but really I'm looking for the best university between Oxford and Cambridge that will accomodate my current qualifications.

Not quite sure where you've go that from. We recommend Further Maths as the best preparation for one of our compsci degrees, but we do understand that not all students have the option to take it. It's fair to say that the vast majority of our successful A-Level taking candidates have done Further Maths, but most years we take a couple of candidates that haven't done FM to A2. Further Maths would be likely to make your application more competitive, but it's not the last word.

We talk more about our thoughts on Further Maths here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending