The Student Room Group

C3 January 2013 25/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldenfish
answer sheet says >1, but dont understand how they got it.

Think about it this way: x/x-2 when x>2 must always be greater than 1, since x/x = 1, therefore x/something less than x must be greater than 1. For example, if x =1000, then we have 1000/998 > 1 and this would apply to any real number for x, when x>2. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by audacious-ant
Ah, no, it's Physics I've applied for, actually :smile: Oxford, Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol and Lancaster (already got offers from the last three)

Oh, is it 90+? That would be awesome, because I can do 90% and over but I doubt I could reach 95. Lol last year I only got over 95% in one Further Maths module - FP1. C1 and C2 were 90%.

I did S1 last year and swore to myself I would never do statistics again - which is silly of me, since I'm into quantum physics and that involves loads of probability! But yes, I'm focusing on mechanics modules. My Maths teacher doesn't like decision maths, so no one in my class is doing it this year.

Tbh we haven't started FP3 yet, since FP2 is taking a while and we were doing 4 modules at one time, anyway. I've had a look through the book, though, and basically, there's more integration and differentiation, really complex-looking trig and hyperbolic functions and matrices. Some people have told me it's hard; others don't think it's that bad. But I've been told by some older kids last year that FP3 is a really important module and "there's no point doing F. Maths if you don't do FP3". I'm sure it's not like that, but I guess it's one of those modules that really helps in the first year of uni :P

Oh fair enough then, I just assumed it'd be Maths as you've take both Maths and Further Maths however Physics does contain a lot of Maths in it so that'd make sense and that's pretty cool that you've already got some offers back which means you'll be able to attend the course next year aslong as you can achieve the grades which I'm sure you'll be able to :smile: I'm applying for Maths at university but the Msci/MMath course to Birmingham, Nottingham, Warrick and Manchester.

Also thats quite good really and I thought the same about the Statistics module even though it turned out to be my highest with 96/100 so I was quite pleased and I'm only about a 85% average right now but I'm determined to get that bloody A* grade!

See my year was the first with D1 and D2 so we wouldn't know what to think of it but after self teaching it I came out with an average of 90% which wasn't too bad so I was planning to take it in place for FP3. However if you're saying its a great thing to prepare you for first year at uni then I might as well teach it myself as it'd be a great advantage to me. :smile:
For A-level Maths, in order to attain the A* grade, I believe the key exam is C3. Achieving 100% in C3 means that only 80% is required in C4, as long as C1-4 + 2 optional units is greater or equal to 480UMS. The C3 result can either take a great deal of pressure off a candidate, or make it for a stressful summer. Good luck to all.
Original post by MathsNerd1
Oh fair enough then, I just assumed it'd be Maths as you've take both Maths and Further Maths however Physics does contain a lot of Maths in it so that'd make sense and that's pretty cool that you've already got some offers back which means you'll be able to attend the course next year aslong as you can achieve the grades which I'm sure you'll be able to :smile: I'm applying for Maths at university but the Msci/MMath course to Birmingham, Nottingham, Warrick and Manchester.

Also thats quite good really and I thought the same about the Statistics module even though it turned out to be my highest with 96/100 so I was quite pleased and I'm only about a 85% average right now but I'm determined to get that bloody A* grade!

See my year was the first with D1 and D2 so we wouldn't know what to think of it but after self teaching it I came out with an average of 90% which wasn't too bad so I was planning to take it in place for FP3. However if you're saying its a great thing to prepare you for first year at uni then I might as well teach it myself as it'd be a great advantage to me. :smile:

Well, it's what I heard, but yeah, it's definitely great to do an extra module if you've got the time. Since I'm going into Physics and going as far as M4, I think I'll probably go through the M5 textbook in summer right before uni - it's quite a thin book and apparently relatively easier than M4.

Ah, that's great! I'm sure you'll get into those unis, since you're so determined about that A* :smile: They're all top unis, too!

I really enjoy Maths - especially Further Maths - and all my friends wonder why I didn't go for a Maths degree. Tbh I'm not sure, as it actually is my favourite subject at school, but I think I prefer applied maths (e.g. mechanics).

F. Maths is pretty hard this year, but it's also much more fun! I know I definitely didn't go for the easy modules, but so far not regretting it :P
C3 will be the death of me. Any tips for not making stupid errors, and actually how to work through a trig identity?
Well, it's what I heard, but yeah, it's definitely great to do an extra module if you've got the time. Since I'm going into Physics and going as far as M4, I think I'll probably go through the M5 textbook in summer right before uni - it's quite a thin book and apparently relatively easier than M4.

Ah, that's great! I'm sure you'll get into those unis, since you're so determined about that A* :smile: They're all top unis, too!

I really enjoy Maths - especially Further Maths - and all my friends wonder why I didn't go for a Maths degree. Tbh I'm not sure, as it actually is my favourite subject at school, but I think I prefer applied maths (e.g. mechanics).

F. Maths is pretty hard this year, but it's also much more fun! I know I definitely didn't go for the easy modules, but so far not regretting it :P

Fair enough then, well I do love myself a good challenge! Also it would make sense that you're going strongly into Mechanics as it has quite a large influence of Physics in my mind and I'm only going to go to M2 but I can't see it being too hard really, see I really would like to carry on with Statistics but we were only allowed to go upto S2 even though I had an avarage of 90%.

Thanks about the support with the university choices and I'm sure you'll get into the course that you want to do at the university of your choice as you sound incredibly clever! You've got to love a challenge and the idea of getting an A* in Maths and Further Maths is just that for me as not long ago I was happy with just getting B's!

See my friends are also the same and currently I don't think they're happy with me as I want to resit an exam for which I acheived a B in which for them would be marvellous, but what they don't understand is that i'd not be happy until I've got the best score I possibly could which I know is better than a B.

And yeah Further Maths isn't for the non-committed, however its incredibly rewarding to achieve great results in it and proves to yourself, well atleast myself that I'm skilled in a subject. :smile:
Original post by The Bright Beast
C3 will be the death of me. Any tips for not making stupid errors, and actually how to work through a trig identity?

Which part of the Trig identities do you not understand or is it just the majority of them?
Original post by jqian
The plan is to do well in S2 so I don't need to do amazing in FP3 but Challenge Accepted! xD

I wish you the very best with your exams. By the way what subject are you applying for at uni?

Maths, you?

Apparently there was a boy in my college one year who was supposed to do a re-sit for some maths module (can't remember) and it turns out he put himself down for FP3 instead and he had to sit the exam!

Good luck to you too!
Fair enough then, well I do love myself a good challenge! Also it would make sense that you're going strongly into Mechanics as it has quite a large influence of Physics in my mind and I'm only going to go to M2 but I can't see it being too hard really, see I really would like to carry on with Statistics but we were only allowed to go upto S2 even though I had an avarage of 90%.

Thanks about the support with the university choices and I'm sure you'll get into the course that you want to do at the university of your choice as you sound incredibly clever! You've got to love a challenge and the idea of getting an A* in Maths and Further Maths is just that for me as not long ago I was happy with just getting B's!

See my friends are also the same and currently I don't think they're happy with me as I want to resit an exam for which I acheived a B in which for them would be marvellous, but what they don't understand is that i'd not be happy until I've got the best score I possibly could which I know is better than a B.

And yeah Further Maths isn't for the non-committed, however its incredibly rewarding to achieve great results in it and proves to yourself, well atleast myself that I'm skilled in a subject. :smile:

Thanks :smile: Nah, I'm not really that clever - you're the one aiming for A*s in both A Levels! We've got a couple of really clever kids in my class and I'm trying my best to keep up! What other subjects are you doing, by the way?

M2 is quite nice, especially if you found M1 fairly easy. Starts off with kinematics, which is really nice, and then just basics on centres of mass and stuff like that haha. And yes, Mechanics modules are definitely great if one's planning to do Physics in uni.

Commitment and determination will get you those A*s :biggrin:
Which part of the Trig identities do you not understand or is it just the majority of them?

I understand the ones we have to learn (like double angle formulae and the pythagorean identities etc) but it's the questions where you have to

'show x is identical to y'
Thanks :smile: Nah, I'm not really that clever - you're the one aiming for A*s in both A Levels! We've got a couple of really clever kids in my class and I'm trying my best to keep up! What other subjects are you doing, by the way?

M2 is quite nice, especially if you found M1 fairly easy. Starts off with kinematics, which is really nice, and then just basics on centres of mass and stuff like that haha. And yes, Mechanics modules are definitely great if one's planning to do Physics in uni.

Commitment and determination will get you those A*s :biggrin:

Well you sound quite clever to me just by speaking to you, so I'm sure you are and your just being modest and I always aim to be the best however I also have an extremely clever student in my class that just exceeds everyone in ability and skill and its so annoying that he makes it all look so easy, even though its obviously not that easy for others. I'm also taking Chemistry with Maths and Further Maths as I screwed up my As levels and only got AA (Maths and further) C (chemistry) and U (Biology) but in my defense my school did screw up our coursework so it could have been higher really, what about you? :smile:

'm now looking quite forward to Mechanics now as before it looked abit daunting really as past pupils haven't really enjoyed it but the teacher has stated as long as you can understand the basics and get your head around it all then you should be able to achieve high results which is what I'm aiming for!

Finally thanks! I must say that I sure do put a lot of effort in getting my grades but I'm the only person in my Sixth Form that'll actually go out of their way to achieve the best they can and to try and comprehend new areas of Maths like Number Theory, Proofs and so on. You could say I'm quite crazy about Maths! :biggrin:
I understand the ones we have to learn (like double angle formulae and the pythagorean identities etc) but it's the questions where you have to

'show x is identical to y'

Would those be the ones where you have both a RHS and LHS but in two different forms and you need to involve the identities to change one into the other form? Or would it be something different?
Reply 73
Original post by JWz
Ah same :smile: Usually need about 70ish marks for the A* on C3, hoping to get mid-90s UMS though to set me up well for C4. Easier said than done!
:smile:

seriously?! :O for some reason I thought it was likr 67/68 :s-smilie: gaah okay! if I dont make silly mistakes that should be okay for c3, cant speak for c4 yet. Also, do you have to have 90% in both A2 units, or can an AS high UMS compensate? so if I have As in both A2 papers, but overall of 90% would that still work out?
Reply 74
Original post by JWz
Ah, hate trig so much haha. I just know that I will slip up in the exam on trig! Any tips for me? :smile:

I was getting all the past papers and practice questions right, but just completely messed up the question in the exam. :frown: Main tip would be to do all the past papers you possibly can, and just focus on what you're finding difficult.

x

x

Original post by MedMed12
x

I've seen some wrong ideas about how you get an A* in A Level maths here...

You need to get an A overall, and at least 90 UMS in both C3 and C4.
Would those be the ones where you have both a RHS and LHS but in two different forms and you need to involve the identities to change one into the other form? Or would it be something different?

yep, those ones :frown: i just can't do them.
Reply 76
Original post by suncake
I was getting all the past papers and practice questions right, but just completely messed up the question in the exam. :frown: Main tip would be to do all the past papers you possibly can, and just focus on what you're finding difficult.

I've seen some wrong ideas about how you get an A* in A Level maths here...

You need to get an A overall, and at least 90 UMS in both C3 and C4.

:O ohhh :frown: I was hoping high AS UMS scores would compensate. Gaah nevermind I'll aim for an A*, so I have an A hopefully to fall back on.
Thanks!
Reply 77

know the basic identities, and tonnes of practice-it gets easier, I promise!
Original post by MedMed12
know the basic identities, and tonnes of practice-it gets easier, I promise!

should i just do every question in chapters 6 and 7?

I see well those questions can be quite tricky as you have to be able to identify the identities that you already know but in the cryptic form. My advice would be basically try to learn the identities off by heart so when you see the questions you'd straight away be able to see what you're dealing with and then doing as many past paper questions that you can find wouldn't help as it'd become a lot easier the more you practise them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending