The Student Room Group

The ...It feels as if Im the only one waiting for a medical interview thread

Although I've read a number of last year s threads and also about how difficult people found it as interviews were given out , Im really surprised how hard the waiting is ...and let s face it ..it s only just begun !!
With 60 % of med applicants reportedly not receiving an interview( though I know that s not true of TSRians!! :tongue:) think Im going to need to find a balance between trying to keep things low key and yet prepping for a possible interview without developing that well known disease RSOTRYECF ( Repetitive Strain of the 'Refreshing Your Emails Constantly' Finger!!)

Is it just me ? Or are there others out there thinking these next few months are going to be endless??:eek:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fish On A Stick
Although I've read a number of last year s threads and also about how difficult people found it as interviews were given out , Im really surprised how hard the waiting is ...and let s face it ..it s only just begun !!
With 60 % of med applicants reportedly not receiving an interview( though I know that s not true of TSRians!! :tongue:) think Im going to need to find a balance between trying to keep things low key and yet prepping for a possible interview without developing that well known disease RSOTRYECF ( Repetitive Strain of the 'Refreshing Your Emails Constantly' Finger!!)

Is it just me ? Or are there others out there thinking these next few months are going to be endless??:eek:

wow! so I'm not the only one hehe :smile: I feel EXACTLY the same, i'm trying to force me not to check the unis' portals every day but it's almost impossible. Also I'm trying not to fool myself and hope too hard for interviews (so not to feel extremely bad in case of rejections) but man, it's so difficult :frown:
yeah...its the only thing on my mind these days... i feel like calling admissions every day like "have you seen mine yet?"
It's 60 that don't get an offer. Most people will get at least one interview.
Reply 4
I currently feel like this. People at my school already have 2 offers from their choices, then on TSR it feels like everyones getting interviews :frown: Checking my emails like a mad man XD
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a recently developed obsession with checking my emails :tongue: I'd be okay if none or one of my unis were giving out interviews at this point but now 3 of mine are! :eek: Guess I'm just going to have to be patient.
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a recently developed obsession with checking my emails :tongue: I'd be okay if none or one of my unis were giving out interviews at this point but now 3 of mine are! :eek: Guess I'm just going to have to be patient.

already? where av you applied?
Original post by sunshinesmile10
already? where av you applied?

Yep! I've applied to Birmingham, King's and Newcastle (all of whom have started giving out interviews) as well as Sheffield :smile: You?
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Yep! I've applied to Birmingham, King's and Newcastle (all of whom have started giving out interviews) as well as Sheffield :smile: You?

Durham, Oxford, Cardiff, Bristol.
Newcastle give interviews solely on UKCAT, so if you got a good score your virtually guaranteed an interview i think...
Original post by sunshinesmile10
Durham, Oxford, Cardiff, Bristol.
Newcastle give interviews solely on UKCAT, so if you got a good score your virtually guaranteed an interview i think...

Durham and Cardiff have both definitely been giving out interviews :smile:

I am aware of that. Doesn't stop me worrying :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by marty_smartie
wow! so I'm not the only one hehe :smile: I feel EXACTLY the same, i'm trying to force me not to check the unis' portals every day but it's almost impossible. Also I'm trying not to fool myself and hope too hard for interviews (so not to feel extremely bad in case of rejections) but man, it's so difficult :frown:

Just so you know ucas and particularly those portals aren't reliable for updating on time in regards to interviews. In fact I'm mot even sure ucas shows interviews...anyway point is, if you're gonna check something make it your email and don't forget the junk folder! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Rory_M
Just so you know ucas and particularly those portals aren't reliable for updating on time in regards to interviews. In fact I'm mot even sure ucas shows interviews...anyway point is, if you're gonna check something make it your email and don't forget the junk folder! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

thanks for that mate ...can you imagine missing an interview because it went in your junk folder??!!:eek:
Reply 12
thanks for that mate ...can you imagine missing an interview because it went in your junk folder??!!:eek:

That would be the worst thing of all time. To be fair I use gmail and never had anything go into junk that wasn't absolute garbage.
Reply 13
I haven't gotten an interview yet, and I know Durham have started to give them out. But we've got ages yet guys, till January! No sweat.
Reply 14
I know that feel guys, was in this exact scenario just a year ago. Remember that unis need time to process all info so they may take awhile and some take a really long time up till may...

In the meantime, do focus on your studies and not worry obsessively. ( or you can try distracting yourself from the endless inbox refreshing too by doing a part time job, volunteering or something like that :tongue:)

60% of applicants won't receive an offer. It's slightly different - try not to incite too much panic :wink:

EDIT: Ah, Hippokrates seems to have already pointed this out :congrats:
I think the official figures last year were ~35% get a place/~65% get rejected. In reality, probably more than 35% get offers, due to people missing grades/deferring entry/choosing another course etc etc, leaving the remaining 35% to fill up spaces.
Good luck everyone!
[QUOTE="AtomicMan;40199639"]I think the official figures last year were ~35% get a place/~65% get rejected. In reality, probably more than 35% get offers, due to people missing grades/deferring entry/choosing another course etc etc, leaving the remaining 35% to fill up spaces.[/QUOTE

Those are tough stats aren't they?! We re all praying/hoping we re part of the 35 %!!!

Original post by Alexandra's Box
Good luck everyone!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 19
A good point in one of the posts in this thread, does UCAS show interviews? Or is an email the only way to know if you have one? (except those uni's with separate portals like KCL)

Now I'm dreading that I might simply miss an email with an invitation for an interview.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending