The Student Room Group

Have I plagiarised?

Another source which has informed my thinking on my topic of broadcast media’s representation of black men is a report published by the Department for Communities and Local Government (2011) titled ’The Media representations of black young men and boys’ . This source supplied a widespread investigation in to the media coverage of black young men and boys in the British news and current affairs media. The key aims of the study was to recognize how the news media portrays black young men and boys, and in particular, to take into account whether there is proof of negative stereotyping of black young men and boys in the news media.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by faithsy89
Another source which has informed my thinking on my topic of broadcast media’s representation of black men is a report published by the Department for Communities and Local Government (2011) titled ’The Media representations of black young men and boys’ . This source supplied a widespread investigation in to the media coverage of black young men and boys in the British news and current affairs media. The key aims of the study was to recognize how the news media portrays black young men and boys, and in particular, to take into account whether there is proof of negative stereotyping of black young men and boys in the news media.

hi,

i think so.

speak to your tutor.

good luck with it.
No as long as you referenced the source.

All you have done is describe the main aim of the report so the use of written language would overlap as you are repeating the main aims.

However, perhaps work on your paraphrasing skills or directly quote if you cannot find a better way to phrase what is said.
Reply 3
you don't have to reference something directly within your paper if you're not using direct quotes/stats, but if you've taken themes or ideas from it which you've developed into your own opinions, you should still include it in your bibliography. well, all your wider reading should go in your bibliography. you're allowed to acknowledge and agree with other studies, its all part of developing research.
Reply 4
Original post by watse004
you don't have to reference something directly within your paper if you're not using direct quotes/stats, but if you've taken themes or ideas from it which you've developed into your own opinions, you should still include it in your bibliography. well, all your wider reading should go in your bibliography. you're allowed to acknowledge and agree with other studies, its all part of developing research.

Hmm, what are you studying? That's completely incorrect in my view, and is definitely plagiarism.

Unless you've just phrased that confusingly. Could you put an example of what you mean?
You know whether it was intentional or not - that is the most important part. If you have just took a description of key points in the source, and the wording is similar, then that is not really plagiarism since you're not trying to pass these ideas off as your own. But as previously said - work on rewording in future (i.e. the phrase "black young men and boys" is repeated a few times so I'm assuming this is taken from the source directly, so just try and rework it a bit more and write in your own words)
Original post by watse004

I must also say in my view that is completely wrong in both institutions I have studied at and you would be done for plagiarism.
Reply 7
Just get rid of it all and then you won't plagarise. The grammar isn't very good anyway.
Reply 8
If it is a quote or their idea, my uni wants me to reference.

Your extract when google searched makes it look like you have taken what was written and slightly changed the words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending