The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering help

I want to study chemical engineering and I'm currently in my first year of A levels doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History. I picked History because it interests me and I was told I could do 5 A levels, although I'll be dropping it this year. I would like to know whether you think I should do Biology next year just for the AS? Would it help me as it is recommended that you do Chemistry and at least one of maths, further maths, physics and Biology. So would doing Biology for one year prove useful and help me get into a top uni or would it just be pointless?

Also, what Unis are you thinking of going to? I was thinking of Edinburgh but I haven't heard anyone speak highly of it :frown: what other universities are good for this course? :smile:
Edinburgh is a good university for chemical engineering, not sure why you haven't heard people speaking highly of it.
Reply 2
I've applied to Newcastle, Nottingham, Bath, Edinburgh and Cambridge.
When deciding where to apply I looked at Chem Eng league tables?? I also went to a lot of open days and that helped me cross some universities off the "list".
Edinburgh is very good for Chem Eng!
I don't think it'd be necessary for you to do biology, to be honest. The offer is always three A levels, and you have both maths and chem, which are the important ones. Good luck!
Reply 3
Im currently doing A2 Further Maths, Maths, chemistry and physics.. To be honest, I don't think biology is necessary for you ( i was going to take biology as well but i thought that there will be too much work to do and it will affect my grades on other subjects, the subjects i have now are sufficient for chemeng).. Just concentrate on your four A2 subjects and that's pretty enough.....

Cambridge is the best for sure^^ Although it is highly competitive, do aim high and apply if you get straight As in your AS.
I heard loughborough is a good one although I didnt apply...
other good ones are imperial college, leeds, bath, manchester, newcastle, ucl etc..

Quick Reply

Latest