The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Housing Troubles!

Okay so, me and a flat mate really don't get on and there always seems to be tension around. I try to keep it civil but it recently took a turn for the worse. Our friendship groups are the same which has made the whole housing topic a very awkward one for next year.

Personally I don't feel as though I would want to feel unhappy for another year in my accommodation but if I don't suck it up and get on with it I have no one else to live with. They all do the same course which would already make it kinda hard to live with always being alone in the house at the same times.

What are my options in this situation I just don't want to end up in a one bedroom flat by myself
Reply 1
I am in a similar situation. It has now been resolved (only last night) by emailing a few people I know and asking if they have sorted out their accommodation yet for next year. I got a few people saying yes and then finally a girl I really like from a social group came forward with a really friendly message saying that she was sharing with a friend on her course but of course would love another to share with them - so I was really happy.
I discussed the options with my parents before this (have had a horrible weekend) and we decided that the plan was to apply for halls of residence for the 2nd year. In my Uni we realised that they seem to guarantee accommodation for 2nd years and keep them together if you apply in time (begin of Dec to end of Jan) and there was no deposit to pay until your accomodation is allocated and accepted. I would then keep an eye on the website within the Accomodation web page for my uni for people posting looking for flat mates (there will be quite a few as a lot of people will not yet have settled down properly and made their friends yet everyone sorting out flats for next year) and in the meantime to email/facebook a few people and talk to them at lectures etc if the occasion arose.
I'm sure that you can sort this out in the same sort of way - although the rules for your Uni may be slightly different. I wouldn't go along with anything and be unhappy next year. I was not given the choice and the 5 girls on my floor (in 2 flats) all decided to go together and 1 said to the others that I couldn't be invited and they all weakly went along with it. I was very upset but not can see that if invited, I would have gone along for the easy life but I'm sure will be happy in a flat/house for 3 with others. This particular girl is a not very nice, immature, controlling girl and has only just decided to make her dislike of me known because of the flat issue. I can easily live with this though now that I have my flat mates for next year sorted. I'm sure you can sort something out too with a bit of time and effort.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending