The Student Room Group

Couch Surfing for Second year?

I currently study in the University of York and have major concerns of finding affordable accommodation for my second year. Friends have offered to allow me to couch surf in their house until I find a spare room. Would you recommend this? Of course I'd help pay the extra bills but I'm pretty sure student houses don't allow for extra people staying there. Can I couch surf and then just dodge the day a landlord is expected to come in to avoid troubling my friends or is it just not worth it.
Original post by Fynite
I currently study in the University of York and have major concerns of finding affordable accommodation for my second year. Friends have offered to allow me to couch surf in their house until I find a spare room. Would you recommend this? Of course I'd help pay the extra bills but I'm pretty sure student houses don't allow for extra people staying there. Can I couch surf and then just dodge the day a landlord is expected to come in to avoid troubling my friends or is it just not worth it.

Don't do this, this is a terrible idea. You need your own space! Try to find student accommodation and get in touch with the housing service of your university for help.
Sleeping rough while studying is going to be very challenging to manage (you need to be well rested to reach your potential academically, and believe me - sleeping on a couch is not going to allow you to be well rested, no matter how comfortable it may seem at first), and also there are social aspects where you will be sacrificing a lot of social capital with your friends (i.e. you may damage your friendships by taking up this offer for extended periods).

As above, get in touch with your uni about accommodation now as there may be some other options they can help you with in advance, also speak with your student union if you are currently sleeping rough in this manner as well, as they will have resources to help try and support you :smile:
Couch surfing while studying is going to be very difficult. I really wouldn't recommend it. Have you spoken to your university to ask for some advice and support? They may be be able to signpost you to useful services at the uni and/or around york.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Personally, I think this would be quite a bad idea. For one thing: where do you expect to keep all your stuff? Idk if your parents help you move your stuff on move-in days/move-out days but most parents would be concerned if their offspring didn't take anything to uni with them.

Like the above responses say get in touch with student support ASAP - the uni will probably have a hardship fund and various bursaries to help students out :hugs: Are you eligible for a maintenance loan? (because something here isn't quite adding up)
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending