The Student Room Group

BT Apprentices 2012/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I start on Monday, going away for my induction, being given my kit, phone and other stuff, and meeting all the other Apprentices...
Congrats Brucey, my start date couldn't come sooner, I'm actually rather eager to just get started now. It has been like 3 months since being told I have the job!

As for the conference call, I just a got a reply email (about me not being able to attend) and I was told it's mainly to speak to everyone to make sure they are able to attend Yarnfield. So have they got travel planned and not to forget driving license amongst other things.

As for getting there well I do own a car and would have no problem driving, but then again I suppose it depends on the rest of our (Ipswich) group. I'm guessing we will discuss it on the 7th and share lifts or just all meet up and go via train. Who knows.
Reply 42
So I applied for this apprenticeship last summer and finally got a call the other week inviting me to a hub day. I've attended and sat my interview, which I think went very well, and am now waiting for a response from them. They said it could take anything up for 3 weeks :-/ the start date I've been told is mid April so not to long away. But to my surprise today I received another email from them inviting me to another interview, is this normal?
Any help with this would be much appreciated as I'm a little thrown.

Thanks in advance

Kyle
Original post by KyleHill92
So I applied for this apprenticeship last summer and finally got a call the other week inviting me to a hub day. I've attended and sat my interview, which I think went very well, and am now waiting for a response from them. They said it could take anything up for 3 weeks :-/ the start date I've been told is mid April so not to long away. But to my surprise today I received another email from them inviting me to another interview, is this normal?
Any help with this would be much appreciated as I'm a little thrown.

Thanks in advance

Kyle

Glad to hear it went well.

During communications with managers/current apprentices they have mentioned about on going Hub Day's and interviews for other new starters, so I take it that is you, so there is a lot going on. If I was you I would either call someone (if you have a number) or, if not, email the apprentice address.

Don't hold me to this but I think that the email you received is just an auto email that they send out and so you can just ignore it. I mean I was told I had the job and next thing I know I get another email, albeit a month later, telling me I have been matched to a vacancy. But to be safe, I would contact them.
checked the train prices and theyre insanely expensive, may be able to drive but ill let you know.
Original post by Matthewpburke
checked the train prices and theyre insanely expensive, may be able to drive but ill let you know.

I've looked from Ipswich (not my closest station but by far the cheapest) and found several to Stone, Stoke and Stafford but a lot won't get there on time or are really (REALLY) expensive. But I have found one!

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/IP144AW/SNE/250313/1054/arr?sps=IPS

First train of the day to get to Stone at 10.05, then just a 10 min taxi, and it's only £68.

But I also worked out that Yarnfield is 176 miles from me so at 23p per mile I have £40.48 to get me there. Should seem doable for my car. It's just whether or not I won't the unwanted miles on my car. I mean it'll just just as long, maybe 10-20 mins quicker, to get there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Hey everyone,

My name is Gary from Cumbria, was just wondering if anyone was travelling down from near the Carlisle area to Yarnfield on the 25th? I was going to go on the train and was seeing if anyone on here was doing something similar.

Figured it would be way less of a hassle to go down with someone else and then at least we would know someone for when we were down there.

If anyones interested just get in touch with me via messages on here and we can hopefully sort something out!

Also like to say congratulations to the other apprentices and good luck to those applying in the future. :smile:
Hi Gary, nice to talk to someone else who will be at Yarnfield at the same time.

Me and 4 other apprentices had a brief meeting today with current apprentices (in their 3rd year) and they passed on lots of info and what we could expect. We also had the chance to discuss travel to Yarnfield and we are currently sharing lifts. But without the current apprentices we would be nowhere. So a big thanks to them.

So all I'd say is try and get in touch with your line manager, or someone relevant, and ask if they mind passing over details about other apprentices in your area. Then go from there really.
Reply 48
Hey nice to meet to Whitey and thanks for the info.

Yeah their are on about a conference call so I am guessing we will speak to some other people then, I am sure something will be sorted out by then.

I would drive but my car doesnt do well on fuel so the train would be the safest bet for me.
Reply 49
I've just logged into my e-mail and received an invite to an interview, it starts at 2:30pm so wondering if it is a Hub day, did other people attend only in the afternoon... i'm confused!

Interview
Good News You’ve been selected to attend an interview for an Advanced BT Apprenticeship.
The role on offer is: A ‘Managed Install Engineer’.
Initially you will be trained to install and repair broadband and BT TV in customer’s premises (business and residential) and then expanding your skills to include installation and repair within the BT network. You will be required to climb telegraph poles and go down manholes, drive a BT vehicle and carry out work in customer’s houses on your own.

When & Where?
Your Interview will be at 14:30 on Wednesday 20th March
Reply 50
Hi, Can anyone tell me what type of quiz or online exam one has to go through if the application is accepted. Is it a technical skills based quiz?
I wish to apply for the Software Engineering (IT) apprenticeship. I dont have much idea about how the recruitment process works :confused:
alright whitey? just wondering if you'd heard anything about whos driving? im in the middle of devon contryside this week so cant get or send texts but will txt james when im back friday. im then off to to malaga for the week before we go.
i guess we can either have 1 person pay the petrol and claim it back or take turn with the trips. by the sounds of the email we travel there and back 3 times over the month?
Reply 52
Original post by ec2596
I've just logged into my e-mail and received an invite to an interview, it starts at 2:30pm so wondering if it is a Hub day, did other people attend only in the afternoon... i'm confused!

Hey mate, this is a hub day interview. Nothing major goes on, it's just a case of turning up taking a quick quiz then going to sit your interview. Nothing else goes on during the day. Just make sure you turn up with plenty of time. My interview was in the morning and was there for about 2hrs and 30 minutes.

For mine I was greeted by other apprentices, stayed with them for a bit while they copied all my Qualifications, Driving License and Passport. Did a quick colour blind test and then went up for my interview. Normal interviewing procedures, ask lots of questions and get as much information out of them as you can. Really keep them talking if you can :-)

just waiting to hear back from mine but I think it went really well! You get plenty of time beforehand to talk to current apprentices too, so find out as much about the job as you can, I found information quite limited on the Internet for that particular role.

anyway, good luck for your interview!

Kyle
Reply 53
Anyone heard anything in glasgow??
Reply 54
Original post by Mrunal_15
Hi, Can anyone tell me what type of quiz or online exam one has to go through if the application is accepted. Is it a technical skills based quiz?
I wish to apply for the Software Engineering (IT) apprenticeship. I dont have much idea about how the recruitment process works :confused:

It's a basic maths and English test around GCSE level. If you're a little rusty (like I was) I'd recommending refreshing your knowledge using a GCSE revision website such as BBC GCSE Bitesize etc. I suggest doing it in a quiet room where you won't be disturbed and prepare yourself with a calculator and writing paper as you only get one shot at it.

The recruitment process usually works like so...
Online application > Hub day / interview > selected for appropriate role in your area.

The hub /day interview is a chance to express where you'd like to be in BT so they can hopefully match you with a suitable job role and there are tonnes of IT / Computing roles in BT. The thing is BT is such a large and diverse company that if you do wish to change job roles / receive a promotion you always can if you apply yourself :smile:.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by ec2596

Interview
Good News You’ve been selected to attend an interview for an Advanced BT Apprenticeship.
The role on offer is: A ‘Managed Install Engineer’.
Initially you will be trained to install and repair broadband and BT TV in customer’s premises (business and residential) and then expanding your skills to include installation and repair within the BT network. You will be required to climb telegraph poles and go down manholes, drive a BT vehicle and carry out work in customer’s houses on your own.

When & Where?
Your Interview will be at 14:30 on Wednesday 20th March

It could be either a hub day or just an interview depending on numbers etc. remember to dress smart and fully prepare :smile:
Reply 56
Hi all I had an interview on the 4th of march and they said they would be in contact with in 2 weeks I felt as though I did well in the interview and I rang them up of Friday 15th to see if their was any updates? as I am very impatient and they said it could take up to another couple of weeks? anyone in the same boat of knows what to do or what happens from past experience? thanks
Reply 57
Hi all,

I have been invited to an interview on 25th March 2013 at 12:30pm in martlesham at the adastral park site. The job role on offer is 'A managed install engineer'. If anyone has attended an interview/hub day for this particular role in the past I would be most appreciative if you could contact me by PM.

Any information about what to expect would be great :smile: Also if anyone else is attending on this day please contact me :smile: I'm sure it would be good for all of us to know some names beforehand and get to know each other, especially if we take part in team building exercises.

thanks for your time guys
Jack Noon
Original post by Matthewpburke
alright whitey? just wondering if you'd heard anything about whos driving? im in the middle of devon contryside this week so cant get or send texts but will txt james when im back friday. im then off to to malaga for the week before we go.
i guess we can either have 1 person pay the petrol and claim it back or take turn with the trips. by the sounds of the email we travel there and back 3 times over the month?

I've only just returned from my holidays to so haven't spoken to anyone. I think just as everyone was leaving on the Thursday we decided two would drive. I think it's best as 5 in 1 car, all with luggage and the fact we bring home our uniform, would be a squeeze. Now I'm pretty sure James said he would drive and I think they said you were happy to also. So we just need to organise when and how we are getting picked up.

Also, I'm not sure about the others but, I don't mind if everyone wants to take turns driving. So when we return myself and someone else drives so you and James don't have to do it all.

Oh and I don't know if we have some late joiners because on the latest email we received (telling us our managers contact info) for our manager John there are another two people.
(edited 11 years ago)
i cant drive as the car is else where for the week? ive got a lift with james, am in malaga for the week so cant contact too much but will try get on here each day. youve got my number, drop me a text if anything changes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending