The Student Room Group

What is considered a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Student
Which programming language will you learn? Are you starting out with HTML so you can do some web design? I only ask because I am also interested in learning code

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will start out with HTML yeah as web design is a particular interest-I'm thinking of using codeacademy and learning javascript as the site is great for beginners.
Cruise Management
Original post by sassy123

Childhood studies - Most employers would wet themselves that someone did this for 3 years.

You obviously have no idea about the childcare sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Film studies, media studies, business studies, sociology, tourism

I just don't think clever people study them
Original post by lascelles
You obviously have no idea about the childcare sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one needs to go uni to learn to look after kids.

No, not to be a nursery nurse or childcare worker, but to get much higher, yes you do. It is a requirement that at least one person in a childcare setting has higher than a level 3 relevant qualification. Usually childhood studies or early years.
Or to get into a school.
Or to then go on and do a PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Golf management' is right up there.
this, although it's not as bad as a "childhood degree", or one in women's studies
(edited 10 years ago)

You obviously are too stupid to know what a hospital nurse does when she works with kids.

Why would you spend £27,000 on a course which is not vital for the job and doesn't give you much competitive advantage over someone with experience. It's also too much of a specific degree to be useful anywhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by member591354
Theoretical Physics is the most useless degree ever and what can you do with a Zoology degree? Become a zoo keeper? ROFL. Arts and humanities FTW. /end intellectual snobbery

I know this is an old part of the thread BUT My friend did a zoology degree and now has a well paid job working with bears in Alaska, so it isn't completely worthless :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
It all depends on how you put the degree in use.
Original post by member591354
Theoretical Physics is the most useless degree ever and what can you do with a Zoology degree? Become a zoo keeper? ROFL. Arts and humanities FTW. /end intellectual snobbery

David Attenborough, Richard Dawkins, and others, studied zoology, as did many nature show presenters on TV, not to mention zoology academics and professionals (animal conservation charities, writers, zookeepers...). There's also a big crossover from zoology to other branches of biology.
One that you flunk in because you got too bogged down into what's "useless" and not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 596
I think Criminology is very overrated imo.

I know loads of people doing Criminology, by the time they all graduate there will be more criminologists than there is crime LOL
Media Studies, Photography, Fashion, Charity Development [Chichester offer this], Golf Management [Birmingham offer this]....
I think media is fine for the practical side. After all, all TV shows, radio shows and magazines need producers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VelveteenBee
I know this is an old part of the thread BUT My friend did a zoology degree and now has a well paid job working with bears in Alaska, so it isn't completely worthless :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true. You can do loads of things with a zoology degree pretty much, from a generic grad job to working with animals, a career in research, practical conservation, ecological consultancy.

I did a degree in zoology and I know people working all over the place in all different areas. Its just Biology without the human bits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending