The Student Room Group

Failed dissertation, ordinary/ non- honours degree need help

I’ve failed my psychology dissertation and retake. There’s multiple reasons for this, the pandemic, university being online for 2+years , teaching/lecturer strikes, financial issues mental health, lack of help from supervisor etc. But i’ve failed and i’m being told i can only graduate with a non honors degree as i’ve only achieved 330 of the 360 credits i need as ive failed my disso but passed everything else.
These past couple of years just seem like a waste of time and i’d always wished i’d pursued something else since starting uni. I know it’s not the end of the world but i also know my prospects decrease since significantly with a ordinary degree and that i won’t be able to apply to most graduate schemes.
Is there any advice anyone can give me as this is really affecting my mental health and i just feel so useless.
I heard some people mention open university and how you can transférer credits etc, but not too much else. How does this work exactly? Since i’ve failed only my dissertation would i have to complete another dissertation? Is everything online? Please help!! x
Original post by bADE_7
I’ve failed my psychology dissertation and retake. There’s multiple reasons for this, the pandemic, university being online for 2+years , teaching/lecturer strikes, financial issues mental health, lack of help from supervisor etc. But i’ve failed and i’m being told i can only graduate with a non honors degree as i’ve only achieved 330 of the 360 credits i need as ive failed my disso but passed everything else.
These past couple of years just seem like a waste of time and i’d always wished i’d pursued something else since starting uni. I know it’s not the end of the world but i also know my prospects decrease since significantly with a ordinary degree and that i won’t be able to apply to most graduate schemes.
Is there any advice anyone can give me as this is really affecting my mental health and i just feel so useless.
I heard some people mention open university and how you can transférer credits etc, but not too much else. How does this work exactly? Since i’ve failed only my dissertation would i have to complete another dissertation? Is everything online? Please help!! x

Two realistic choices. Phone the OU and talk to them, or get a job that isn't reliant on a degree. This is recoverable in the long term, but you need to crack on with something and not dwell. What career would you have had if you hadn't gone to uni?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Two realistic choices. Phone the OU and talk to them, or get a job that isn't reliant on a degree. This is recoverable in the long term, but you need to crack on with something and not dwell. What career would you have had if you hadn't gone to uni?

Thanks for the response. x
I am going to explore my options further and try not dwell on something i can’t change. I was originally looking into a career in ux research to start or anything tech related i can do with a psychology degree, if i hadn’t gone to uni i probably would have still completed something psychology related but would have tried to start working straight away or find a degree apprenticeship, i know there’s a chance i can still do these things though less likely. Im 21 and i have been employed since 2017/18 my first job was boots then some 4/5* hotels after that for a few years and since then agency work due to school, so i do have a bit of experience so far, way more than others who’ve never worked since starting uni. All i can hope for is that if this does come up, my entire academic transcript/ HEAR report will be considered due to the fact that i’ve passed every single module since starting but this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending