The Student Room Group

A level options

I am a year 11 student and i am picking what a levels i want to do and at the moment i have applied to sixth forms with geography , psychology and business but im thinking about doing biology as i love it so much. However i have heard bio is so hard and really full of content and if i did it i would replace it with business. I am worried by doing this that i will have 3 very content heavy subjects and they might be quite hard. but i do really enjoy all 3 and find them interesting but can be hard at times. can someone please give advice if doing these subjects. Thank you!!
Original post by roms2007
I am a year 11 student and i am picking what a levels i want to do and at the moment i have applied to sixth forms with geography , psychology and business but im thinking about doing biology as i love it so much. However i have heard bio is so hard and really full of content and if i did it i would replace it with business. I am worried by doing this that i will have 3 very content heavy subjects and they might be quite hard. but i do really enjoy all 3 and find them interesting but can be hard at times. can someone please give advice if doing these subjects. Thank you!!

Given that you say of Biology that you "love it so much", then you should absolutely take it. Sure, it's content-heavy, but it's content you love. Much better that than a subject you're only taking because of a perception that it might be easier.

I know you're only in year 11 right now, but have you given any thought as to what you might like to do after A levels? University? An apprenticeship? Employment?

The reason I ask is because it might be worth checking that you can do what you want to do after A levels, given the subjects you're thinking of choosing.
Reply 2
So you want to do a subject because you think its 'easy' (also known as 'boring') - not one you actually enjoy?

Hi there

I think if you are genuinely interested in these subjects then you should take them.

Throughout A levels, it is important to stay motivated, and it would really help if you enjoyed the course. I took biology during A levels, I would agree that it is content heavy, however, it is a really enjoyable subject. If you put in decent amounts of work load, you could achieve good grades. I think that combination of subjects is also good in terms of a future career, or if you were to apply for University.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Given that you say of Biology that you "love it so much", then you should absolutely take it. Sure, it's content-heavy, but it's content you love. Much better that than a subject you're only taking because of a perception that it might be easier.

I know you're only in year 11 right now, but have you given any thought as to what you might like to do after A levels? University? An apprenticeship? Employment?

The reason I ask is because it might be worth checking that you can do what you want to do after A levels, given the subjects you're thinking of choosing.

Thank you for your help, yeah i do love biology but i think also doing biology may be a little useless unless i do chemistry along side it (which i am definitely not doing😂) as i don’t see myself going down the science route at uni. I think i would be more likely to do a geography degree so maybe it wouldn’t be the best option. but thank you for your advice.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
So you want to do a subject because you think its 'easy' (also known as 'boring') - not one you actually enjoy?

i do enjoy all the subjects im thinking of taking, my thoughts are that i want to do subjects i know i can do well in and therefore get high grades in order to get into better unis. business and bio are both interesting subjects for me but i was considering bio as i like it at gcse but i don’t think i would enjoy it at a level.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

I think if you are genuinely interested in these subjects then you should take them.

Throughout A levels, it is important to stay motivated, and it would really help if you enjoyed the course. I took biology during A levels, I would agree that it is content heavy, however, it is a really enjoyable subject. If you put in decent amounts of work load, you could achieve good grades. I think that combination of subjects is also good in terms of a future career, or if you were to apply for University.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you so much for this advice, i do agree that doing subjects i enjoy will motivate me and biology is the only science i feel motivated to revise for currently. yeah i do think the combination is good but i am scared they will all be so content heavy subjects so i need one to balance the heavy content (business as i feel it might be easier). i know that all alevel subjects are heavy in content and are just hard overall so it is difficult but i am jusy trying to do the subjects i enjoy and i also do the best in them right now so that is good.
Thank you for your help, yeah i do love biology but i think also doing biology may be a little useless unless i do chemistry along side it (which i am definitely not doing😂) as i don’t see myself going down the science route at uni. I think i would be more likely to do a geography degree so maybe it wouldn’t be the best option. but thank you for your advice.

You say that "doing biology may be a little useless", given that you're thinking if doing a Geography degree. Are you sure that a Business A level would be useful for such a degree.

Also you say, "i was considering bio as i like it at gcse but i don’t think i would enjoy it at a level". Is that simply because someone's told you it's content-heavy?

Quick Reply

Latest