The Student Room Group

Thinking of applying to Oxbridge?

I am considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge to study medicine, I am aware how competitive places are especially for medicine! What are the grades/work experience etc. I would need to even start to think about competing for a place? I am doing things like dofe, volunteering in a local care home, am studing biology, chemistry, maths and physics, also am participating in both chemistry and biology olympiad, maths uk challenge and a bunch of extra stuff. I understand that i will need to be aiming for 4 A's at AS with 95%> ums etc but is there anything they particularly like or look for in medical applicants? Any information much appriciated even if just about med schools/oxbridge in general. Also If anyone can recommend any other med schools I should look into please advise!
Reply 1
Original post by Medicine1234
I am considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge to study medicine, I am aware how competitive places are especially for medicine! What are the grades/work experience etc. I would need to even start to think about competing for a place? I am doing things like dofe, volunteering in a local care home, am studing biology, chemistry, maths and physics, also am participating in both chemistry and biology olympiad, maths uk challenge and a bunch of extra stuff. I understand that i will need to be aiming for 4 A's at AS with 95%> ums etc but is there anything they particularly like or look for in medical applicants? Any information much appriciated even if just about med schools/oxbridge in general. Also If anyone can recommend any other med schools I should look into please advise!

These links may help you, my friend whos looking to go into medicine has a ton of work experience in volunteering and hospital assistance.
These may help you:

Cambridge prospectus (entry requirements etc) - http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/

Oxford - http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine
This sounds very good. From what I've gathered, Cambridge care more about you getting very high UMS at AS and Oxford consider your % of A* grades at GCSE - what were your GCSE grades?
In terms of your applications to all medical schools, have you done any work experience or are you looking to get some?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending