The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology -17th January 2013 EXAM PREPARATION

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by RandomPeopleDancin
Sure :h: I'll start typing it up after I take my doggy out. :biggrin: It starts of about typologies but I can't remember what the actual title was @_@ I'll soon find out when I type it up :colondollar:

If its not too much hassle, can I have a look at it too please? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 81
Roughly how much normally is an A* grade for the 18 and 33 markers? About 16 and 30? :s-smilie:
I know you need to know your facts but it's so much essay style at A2 compared with AS. I was reading the reports and a lot of the time it's technique which brings the marks down. I've made the mistake of doing quantity rather than quality in my previous subjects at A2, so from now I'm going to basically state the obvious in the exam and evaluate anything that could be relevant. That's what I'm telling myself to make my lack of revision seem less awful anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by EmilyStrange13
Thank You, I like the way the information is set out... simple to go through yet not lacking in detail. xD

what do you think will come up for 18 and 33 markers this year?
any predictions? what hasnt come in for ages?
Reply 83
Original post by Daisia
Roughly how much normally is an A* grade for the 18 and 33 markers? About 16 and 30? :s-smilie:
I know you need to know your facts but it's so much essay style at A2 compared with AS. I was reading the reports and a lot of the time it's technique which brings the marks down. I've made the mistake of doing quantity rather than quality in my previous subjects at A2, so from now I'm going to basically state the obvious in the exam and evaluate anything that could be relevant. That's what I'm telling myself to make my lack of revision seem less awful anyway.

Original post by DotCom1
If its not too much hassle, can I have a look at it too please? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Sure :biggrin: Only 1 page left to type up now. Phew!
Original post by taslimmiah
x

Original post by omgg
x

Original post by DotCom1
x

It is on the growth of religions and spiritual organisations :smile: I hope the comments appear ok as I converted it to an old Word format :s-smilie:
Original post by Daisia

I know it is 30 for the 33 marker. Not sure about 18 though :colondollar:
Reply 87
Original post by sharon800

Working out what might come up on the exam is my version of revision :biggrin: Seriously, I could be an exams investigator. I went through the spec and put the exam dates next to any of the topics that have had questions and this is what got left(ish) out:

Theories of religion -> Marxism (functionalism and feminism have been done) and science.

Social change there have been questions but they are quite broad, so nothing specifically about Marxism, Weber and feminism yet. Not very helpful, sorry:colondollar:

Age and religion

Secularisation (it has come up and recently, just not often)

Postmodernity

I've also got religious organisations, sects etc. written down but they've been done a lot so I don't know why there there, but there you go.

I know some of them are unlikely to have an entire question devoted to them, like the social change ones, but that's just what hasn't come up.

Don't tell me that I've got the wrong specification or something :tongue: Revision's revision anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
I'm gonna leave out social change!
Reply 89
Original post by Daisia
Working out what might come up on the exam is my version of revision :biggrin: Seriously, I could be an exams investigator. I went through the spec and put the exam dates next to any of the topics that have had questions and this is what got left(ish) out:

Theories of religion -> Marxism (functionalism and feminism have been done) and science.

Social change there have been questions but they are quite broad, so nothing specifically about Marxism, Weber and feminism yet. Not very helpful, sorry:colondollar:

Age and religion

Secularisation (it has come up and recently, just not often)

Postmodernity

I've also got religious organisations, sects etc. written down but they've been done a lot so I don't know why there there, but there you go.

I know some of them are unlikely to have an entire question devoted to them, like the social change ones, but that's just what hasn't come up.

Don't tell me that I've got the wrong specification or something :tongue: Revision's revision anyway.

I really wish some 33 marker on sects and cults doesnt come up! and some science and ideology doesnt come up either! I think im prepared for the rest :smile:
Wait did you say the above ones HAVE ALREADY come before or they havent come?
I think they probably give a question for 33 marker on secularisation or social change and conservative! I love them both :biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by RandomPeopleDancin
It is on the growth of religions and spiritual organisations :smile: I hope the comments appear ok as I converted it to an old Word format :s-smilie:

Thanks a Billion! :biggrin:
Reply 91
I really wish some 33 marker on sects and cults doesnt come up! and some science and ideology doesnt come up either! I think im prepared for the rest :smile:
Wait did you say the above ones HAVE ALREADY come before or they havent come?
I think they probably give a question for 33 marker on secularisation or social change and conservative! I love them both :biggrin:

It's what hasn't/hasn't come up in a while :smile: I really don't want a sects and cults question either, it's what I gloss over the most when studying and also when revising. Secularisation and social change would definitely be nice though!
Reply 92
Original post by Daisia
It's what hasn't/hasn't come up in a while :smile: I really don't want a sects and cults question either, it's what I gloss over the most when studying and also when revising. Secularisation and social change would definitely be nice though!

How far are you with your revision? Do you make essay plans and do times practice?

I have done essay plans but not sure if they are completely right. Also, i have to still revise over types of organisations, age and religion and science and ideology.

I am fine with everything else wishfully!
The thing is i dont know how to start any intro's for 18 markers! how much evaluation is needed for 18 and 33 marker? I know 33 marker is like 18 marks for evaluation and 15 for A01, for what about 18 marker?
Does it matter if we put like less evaluative points in 18 marker?
Reply 93
Original post by omgg
can you send me that too please? What unit is it for?

yes please!
Can someone please post a good essay structure on here ! I know alot of people have been complaining they do not know how to go about answering the Q's! Thanks !!!!!x
Reply 95
Original post by The Lolly Pop Guy
Can someone please post a good essay structure on here ! I know alot of people have been complaining they do not know how to go about answering the Q's! Thanks !!!!!x

Hey this is my problem too! I have been crying because although i have the knowledge i do not know how to structure it in essays! I have done some essay plans, but i wish i knew how to write a good structure to an essay :frown:

Anyways here is an essay plan for this one question :-
Evaluate the view that new cults and sects have taken the place of traditional religions as a way of expressing and experiencing religious beliefs in society across the world.

Define sect and cult
Bruce - due to process of secularisation eg rationalisation new cults and sects have come to replace traditional religion
another reason for sects and cults replacing trad religion is religious diversity ( Berger ) undermined the plausibility structure of religion and hence sects and cults have taken the place.
Bruce sees these as weak forms of religion resulting from modernisation and secularisation in society
A02 :- alternative to secularisation theory, stark and bainbridge argue that there is a continuous cycle of religious decline, renewal and revival. Old churches decline and give way to new forms of religion - the religious market theory
demand for religion is always constant because people are naturally rleigious and it is in human nature to avoid costs and to seek rewards. therefore sects and cults have replaced traditional religion.
A02 :- beckford :- stark and bainbridge give an unsociological explaination because they fail to explain why people make choices they do.
Drane argues that traditional religion is also been replaced by new age movements not only sects and cults. define new age :- explain why they are more attractive to people than trad religion.
A02 :-? im not sure if this is a relevant A02 point ( bruce argues that growth of new age hasnt compensated for a larger decline of trad religion )
Sociologists such as norris and inglehart argue that traditional religion may have declined in european countries, but there is still is vitality of trad religion elsewhere in world- depends on the existential security we have - low EST = higher religious participations etc
A02 :- vasquez argues that norris and inglehart use quantitative data = not valid
Nanda also sees that there is higher levels of religiosity in india - greater need of trad hinduism

conclusion - depends on where we look in the world
Reply 96
Hey this is my problem too! I have been crying because although i have the knowledge i do not know how to structure it in essays! I have done some essay plans, but i wish i knew how to write a good structure to an essay :frown:

Anyways here is an essay plan for this one question :-
Evaluate the view that new cults and sects have taken the place of traditional religions as a way of expressing and experiencing religious beliefs in society across the world.

Define sect and cult
Bruce - due to process of secularisation eg rationalisation new cults and sects have come to replace traditional religion
another reason for sects and cults replacing trad religion is religious diversity ( Berger ) undermined the plausibility structure of religion and hence sects and cults have taken the place.
Bruce sees these as weak forms of religion resulting from modernisation and secularisation in society
A02 :- alternative to secularisation theory, stark and bainbridge argue that there is a continuous cycle of religious decline, renewal and revival. Old churches decline and give way to new forms of religion - the religious market theory
demand for religion is always constant because people are naturally rleigious and it is in human nature to avoid costs and to seek rewards. therefore sects and cults have replaced traditional religion.
A02 :- beckford :- stark and bainbridge give an unsociological explaination because they fail to explain why people make choices they do.
Drane argues that traditional religion is also been replaced by new age movements not only sects and cults. define new age :- explain why they are more attractive to people than trad religion.
A02 :-? im not sure if this is a relevant A02 point ( bruce argues that growth of new age hasnt compensated for a larger decline of trad religion )
Sociologists such as norris and inglehart argue that traditional religion may have declined in european countries, but there is still is vitality of trad religion elsewhere in world- depends on the existential security we have - low EST = higher religious participations etc
A02 :- vasquez argues that norris and inglehart use quantitative data = not valid
Nanda also sees that there is higher levels of religiosity in india - greater need of trad hinduism

conclusion - depends on where we look in the world

I think that's a fairly good structure youve got there...you should be able to gain top marks with that plan, if written well.
Can anyone help me on NAM and NRM?
Any notes that you could copy and paste and I would be forever grateful!
I'm so stressed, by the way I'm doing beliefs in society

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by taslimmiah
I think that's a fairly good structure youve got there...you should be able to gain top marks with that plan, if written well.

Really? thank you
yeah i wish i get a A OR B in this unit
Reply 99
Original post by Heatherplumpton
Can anyone help me on NAM and NRM?
Any notes that you could copy and paste and I would be forever grateful!
I'm so stressed, by the way I'm doing beliefs in society

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you with essays? how much practice have you done with it?
also could you please explain to me what has fundamentalism got to do with cultural defence or clash of civilisations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending