The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience of what a Fenners' first round interview involves?

Thanks
Reply 1181
This whole process is horrendous! This is a slightly impertinent question, but I'm just wondering what the CVs of those who have been invited to interview at criminal sets are like? ( congratulations!)

I just finished the BPTC. I had the top mark in my high school leaving exams, a 2:1 in law from a top 5, FRU casework, 5 minis, paralegal experience, volunteer experience at a youth offenders centre, placements with solicitors, mooting and other types of public speaking under my belt. I know it's not the best CV in the world, but I thought I was at least good enough to have a chat to! :frown:
Original post by Vitti*
This whole process is horrendous! This is a slightly impertinent question, but I'm just wondering what the CVs of those who have been invited to interview at criminal sets are like? ( congratulations!)

I just finished the BPTC. I had the top mark in my high school leaving exams, a 2:1 in law from a top 5, FRU casework, 5 minis, paralegal experience, volunteer experience at a youth offenders centre, placements with solicitors, mooting and other types of public speaking under my belt. I know it's not the best CV in the world, but I thought I was at least good enough to have a chat to! :frown:

Sounds like you do have a pretty strong CV! I was lucky enough to get three offers from criminal sets last year, and certainly didn't have as much experience as you - I hadn't been a paralegal yet or completed as many mini-pupillages. What sort of sets are you looking at? If they are the same as I interviewed at, I might be able to help.
Reply 1183
Original post by Legallucy
Sounds like you do have a pretty strong CV! I was lucky enough to get three offers from criminal sets last year, and certainly didn't have as much experience as you - I hadn't been a paralegal yet or completed as many mini-pupillages. What sort of sets are you looking at? If they are the same as I interviewed at, I might be able to help.

Congratulations! That' so fantastic- and thank you for replying! Still waiting on Carmelite, Chambers of John Coffey and 15 NBS ( looks like it's a silent rejection from 6KBW so stopped holding my breath for them!) In the middle of applying to Holborn Chambers and St Ives right now.

25 BR, 18 RLC, 2 Hare and 9-12 Bell Yard are the ones with no love for me- no visible mess in my application, so wondering what I should do to improve my chances if I need to do this again next year!
Reply 1184
Pallant Chambers interview received by telephone.
Pump Court Chambers first round invites out - status changed to 'First Interview' on gateway, but no email / call / letter yet.
Doughty street rejection in, has anyone heard anymore re: 9 gough square ? Not looking especially hopeful. Any more news on 3pb ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikeymikeyb
Pump Court Chambers first round invites out - status changed to 'First Interview' on gateway, but no email / call / letter yet.

Status changed to unsuccessful. Grrrrrrrrr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1188
Original post by mikeymikeyb

Mine has changed to first interview too, but with no way to book an interview like the others have had. Anyone with anything different,or heard anything from them?
Original post by LadyMerryBird
Doughty street rejection in, has anyone heard anymore re: 9 gough square ? Not looking especially hopeful. Any more news on 3pb ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a thing from 9GS or 3PB.
Also rejection from Pump Court Chambers. From speaking to a few rejects today it seems unless you really really truly want to do common, they don't want you. They can probably see right through the pure Family and Crime folk!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vitti*
Congratulations! That' so fantastic- and thank you for replying! Still waiting on Carmelite, Chambers of John Coffey and 15 NBS ( looks like it's a silent rejection from 6KBW so stopped holding my breath for them!) In the middle of applying to Holborn Chambers and St Ives right now.

25 BR, 18 RLC, 2 Hare and 9-12 Bell Yard are the ones with no love for me- no visible mess in my application, so wondering what I should do to improve my chances if I need to do this again next year!

It's frustrating. Those sets are all at the very top for crime, though. There will be candidates with multiple degrees, firsts, second careers, and internships etc that would blow your mind (I remember meeting a fellow interviewee who had just returned from drafting the constitution of Iraq). Usually not getting an interview from these places says more about the other candidates than it does about you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vitti*

I interviewed at Carmelite and was a reserve. They should really like your application as they seem to like strong extra-curricular and definitely a commitment to crime - I think that is what got me offers as I could demonstrate there was nothing else I wanted to do! PM me with any questions you can think of - its not a problem! :smile:
Original post by westie_98
It's frustrating. Those sets are all at the very top for crime, though. There will be candidates with multiple degrees, firsts, second careers, and internships etc that would blow your mind (I remember meeting a fellow interviewee who had just returned from drafting the constitution of Iraq). Usually not getting an interview from these places says more about the other candidates than it does about you.

Although most candidates will be excellent, at criminal sets I found they were not just interested in your academics and work experience - far from it. I do have a first class degree, but not from a Russell Group - only top 20 (just!). I had completed a few mini pupillages (not at the sets I had offers from though) and had done some volunteering here and there. I think what was more important was advocacy. I started the season thinking that, until I had some life experience and more work experience, I wouldn't even be looked at. But once you get to interview, it is all about the way you think on your feet etc. And in terms of getting an interview - there didn't really seem any rhyme or reason to it... especially final rounds!
Reply 1193
Thanks for replying guys. You're being really nice! Always helps to get some perspective.
Original post by TakeTwo
2012 interviews were panel of 4/5 - general application chat and an ethics question.

How has it already been a year, TakeTwo!? :smile:
Original post by Vitti*

It sounds like you have a really great CV, I woul be very proud and confident if I were you and that is a real shame about your lack of interviews, I'm sorry to hear it. I have interviews at four of the chambers you mention, and my CV is very similar to yours, I also have a 2.1 not a first, minis, experience essentially equivalent to yours. So I wouldn't, if I were you, necessarily conclude I needed to do different or more volunteering or extra-curriculars. Tricky to identify the issue! Of course the sift process is a bit of a lottery and so there might not be an answer. But one thing I identified as really key was to show awareness of "the reality at the criminal bar" and to show interest or at least awareness of the chambers' expertise in crime-related areas (regulatory, extradition, appellate etc). I think that applies to 2 hare court and 6kbw in particular of the ones you've mentioned.

Basically my impression is that your cv sounds very strong, and perhaps the place to look is your answers to "why this chambers" and "why crime. I am by no means an expert, and not of legallucy's level of achievement, but I have several interviews at criminal sets this year and I hope my thoughts are be helpful. Anyway, good luck with the ones you are still waiting to hear from!
Original post by 2214Decatur
It sounds like you have a really great CV, I woul be very proud and confident if I were you and that is a real shame about your lack of interviews, I'm sorry to hear it. I have interviews at four of the chambers you mention, and my CV is very similar to yours, I also have a 2.1 not a first, minis, experience essentially equivalent to yours. So I wouldn't, if I were you, necessarily conclude I needed to do different or more volunteering or extra-curriculars. Tricky to identify the issue! Of course the sift process is a bit of a lottery and so there might not be an answer. But one thing I identified as really key was to show awareness of "the reality at the criminal bar" and to show interest or at least awareness of the chambers' expertise in crime-related areas (regulatory, extradition, appellate etc). I think that applies to 2 hare court and 6kbw in particular of the ones you've mentioned.

Basically my impression is that your cv sounds very strong, and perhaps the place to look is your answers to "why this chambers" and "why crime. I am by no means an expert, and not of legallucy's level of achievement, but I have several interviews at criminal sets this year and I hope my thoughts are be helpful. Anyway, good luck with the ones you are still waiting to hear from!

Definitely. If you can show that 'commitment to crime' then you have a really strong chance.
Reply 1197
Original post by 2214Decatur

Congratulations on your interviews - I hope they go well! Thanks for the insight. If I have to do this again next year ( hope not - sob!) I'll certainly keep your advice in mind!
Original post by SevenAteNine
Really great advice today all, thank you.

Sorry to ask again - but I'm getting nervous about the interview. Any tips or tricks (even about interviews in general really!) would be really appreciated. Thanks all.

Where are you interviewing?
Reply 1199
Original post by SevenAteNine
No5 in Birmingham for 2014. Just finishing off my Law degree at the mo (City in September for the BPTC) and my scholarship interview was a mess of word-vomit (and received no ££££s as a result!) so I'm a bit terrified really!

I have an interview at No5 also & I am pre-bptc like yourself, don't no what to expect from No5 as there is not details on their interview policy on their website at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending