The Student Room Group

Self taught A-Levels.

Hi,

I'm expecting to over achieve, meaning that i'll have higher A levels than the universities i've applied to need (UCAS went off with BBB, mid term predicts AAA. 5 Mid table offers). Because of this, I was considering taking a gap year and doing an additional A level, to boost my application a bit.

I'll have Maths, Physics, "Business & Economics" and General studies.

I'm looking to study Economics, so I thought perhaps AS Further maths?

What're your experiences with self teaching? Would you reccommend it? Any other qualifications I should consider?

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
Bump? :bubbles:
Reply 3
Original post by Economi
Hi,

I'm expecting to over achieve, meaning that i'll have higher A levels than the universities i've applied to need (UCAS went off with BBB, mid term predicts AAA. 5 Mid table offers). Because of this, I was considering taking a gap year and doing an additional A level, to boost my application a bit.

I'll have Maths, Physics, "Business & Economics" and General studies.

I'm looking to study Economics, so I thought perhaps AS Further maths?

What're your experiences with self teaching? Would you reccommend it? Any other qualifications I should consider?

Thanks.

Erm, I understand that top unis do like the good old Further Maths and would look good on the application.

However, you already have Maths which they require and I guess Business and Economics looks alright.

If you REALLY want to, and think you're dedicated enough, you can do it.

I'm in year 12 and there's a girl in my year who is 90% self teaching and has an online tutorial I believe and I think she'll probably get an A in January.

So yes, it is doable, just think about whether you're up for it.
Reply 4
Original post by ErHi?
Erm, I understand that top unis do like the good old Further Maths and would look good on the application.

However, you already have Maths which they require and I guess Business and Economics looks alright.

If you REALLY want to, and think you're dedicated enough, you can do it.

I'm in year 12 and there's a girl in my year who is 90% self teaching and has an online tutorial I believe and I think she'll probably get an A in January.

So yes, it is doable, just think about whether you're up for it.

I think I could do it considering I'll be out of school, so have all the time I need to do one subject. Is that girl doing the whole of Further maths in year 12?
Reply 5
Original post by Economi
I think I could do it considering I'll be out of school, so have all the time I need to do one subject. Is that girl doing the whole of Further maths in year 12?

then I'd say go for it!

No she's doing AS this year then A2 next year if I am correct, or maybe not A2 at all. She says it's quite stressful but that's with 4 other subjects.

Latest