The Student Room Group

Confused regarding MSc Finance

I'm currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in management studies from Mumbai, India. I'm studying at one of the top institutions in the country and my grades have been pretty good right from school.
I'm applying for the MSc Finance course to various universities. The thing is, giving the GMAT isnt exactly possible for me as I'm still studying (and my year ends in April). No GMAT knocks out LSE, Cambridge, etc. from my options list.
Currently I've applied to the finance courses at:
Warwick
Imperial
Cass
Manchester
Lancaster
(Also considering applying to Henley)

Some of these also might require a GMAT score I'm guessing. What I was wondering is, if I should accept any offers from the above universities granted I get, and if so, which ones. If I take the next year off and give the GMAT and apply for the 2014-15 session, I'm fairly confident I can score a 700+ on the GMAT. Is it worth taking the year off so I can apply to LSE, etc? Also, I do not have any work experience or internships as of now.
The views and opinions on reputation and courses are highly variable here and thus arent very helpful. I'd really appreciate any inputs
Warwick/Imperial

(gap)

CASS

Why? Because a substantial number of alumni are successful in the financial services industry, and they are all well ranked in the FT rankings.

Imperial course is more mathematical but at the same time very comprehensive (foundation/core/electives/project). WBS is on the up in rankings and is quite a decent course though not as comprehensive. CASS has a solid practical course but the students there are questionable.

Do you want to know anything else?
Reply 2
Yeah, that's the impression I've formed about Cass too. So say I get into Warwick/Imperial. Definitely worth accepting rather than deferring the offer and applying to LSE, Oxford, HEC, etc?
The rest (Manchester, Lancaster) are significantly inferior right? Like, it would make sense to take the year off rather than accepting?
Reply 3
Hi, Im a bit new to tsr.
Im currently doing bachelors in business economics(BBE) from University of Delhi.
My 2years average stands at 60.3%. and the modules i have studied are Micro,applied micro, macro, applied macro, financial accounting, investment management, econometrics, quantitative techniques, marketing etc. So yes I have knowledge in both finance and economics. And projects on econometric analysis as well.

Im considering applying at WBS for Msc in finance and economics
and At MBS for Msc in finance and business economics.

I donot intend to give GMAT. and my finals exams shall be in April-May.
Can you give me some insights whether do i stand a chance in getting approved for courses and univ above?
Also What about Durham? Hows the economics courses there?
Original post by fawaddalwai
Yeah, that's the impression I've formed about Cass too. So say I get into Warwick/Imperial. Definitely worth accepting rather than deferring the offer and applying to LSE, Oxford, HEC, etc?
The rest (Manchester, Lancaster) are significantly inferior right? Like, it would make sense to take the year off rather than accepting?

Oxford/Cambridge are definitely a league above the rest in terms of prestige, especially if you want to work in India. However getting a good GMAT score does not guarantee you admission into Oxbridge, so do you really want to risk a year out for these two universities?

LSE will not get you any more Interviews than Imperial/Warwick Business School as all these universities are equally targeted by the most prestigious companies.

I personally would not bothered with a school like Lancaster and Manchester as the finance programmes have no prestige.

I wouldn't bother with any of the continental schools like HEC. Do you really want to study for two years in a non english speaking country? For starters you won't be able to get a job in the country of study unless you are fluent in their first language.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Fair point. The language issue is why I'm hesitant about other European schools. Any other British universities you think are worth applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending