The Student Room Group

Monday 14 Jan 2013 - CORE MATHEMATICS ( Edexcel) OFFICIAL THREAD FOR DISCUSSIONS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Vorsah
Thanks

R u doing edexcel S1, if u are and your finding probability easy, can u give me some advice?

yes im doing C1,C2 and S1 in january how did you guess that XD.
i used to find s1 really hardd and confusing but im getting the hang of it now.
with probablity try to have an open mind and ensure you read the question very careful to know what statistic they are looking for and how to get it.
and remember the independent rule since thats likely to come up and its easy marks. the part i see people getting confused on is "find A given B", practise using the formula for it (its on the s1 formula sheet btw! ) :biggrin:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/S1/module.php
this website explains probablity quite well so check it if you havent already.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
All poster and contributing helpers give yourself a pat on the back for taking part in this C1 edexcel thread keep flooding the thread you learn of eachother and I wish you a good easy exam for all of us GOD(Allah) willing thanks very much and a Happy New Year few days before the exam on 14/01/13 the threads will be booming. I have a really busy schedule I will post when possible do not think I have abondened the thread keep navigating a becoming a part of TSR community. All vital EXAM info can be found on FIRST POST page 1. Nevertheless Happy New Years give thanks to GOD(Allah) and revise well. Couldn't say It better all the best GOD willing :smile:
#whatawonderfulcommunity
Just incase you were wondering Percentage marks to Grades Generally ever year however these could vary.
Note: They're Minimum requirements for the Grade.
80% - A Grade (Grade A Maximum for AS) (60 marks)
70% - B Grade(53 marks)
60% - C Grade(45 marks)
50% - D Grade (38 marks)
Note: these are minimum for that Grade so example.. An C is 60%(45M) anything below 60% is a D grade like wise for all other Grades.
70%.

Thanks very much Happy New Year any corrections are more than happy and will taken on board thanks hope this helps and eases a bit pressure ( maybe not) but its all for a good intention take care Ladies/Gents.
Reply 62
Original post by m4ths/maths247
I have posted these in the A Level thread but they may help:

Solomon A
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS8c-8fhVcdHmyuKi1OECKyuH6CuScu-n

Solomon B
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS8c-8fhVcdEr4lkPwX9OWrxnrJ2IGiWN

Full C1 revision playlist (with some long old videos!!)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS8c-8fhVcdESuHXQS1c0hYkja9yzrJoT&feature=view_all

May help some of you.
All the best with your exams :smile:

More great resources for me to use! God bless you, thank you very much!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Chris195
More great resources for me to use! God bless you, thank you very much!

You are welcome.
The other AS/A2 units I have done are at www.m4ths.com if you need any other help.
Good luck with your exams. :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by nmanvi
yes im doing C1,C2 and S1 in january how did you guess that XD.
i used to find s1 really hardd and confusing but im getting the hang of it now.
with probablity try to have an open mind and ensure you read the question very careful to know what statistic they are looking for and how to get it.
and remember the independent rule since thats likely to come up and its easy marks. the part i see people getting confused on is "find A given B", practise using the formula for it (its on the s1 formula sheet btw! ) :biggrin:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/S1/module.php
this website explains probablity quite well so check it if you havent already.

Do u think if u can remember the formulas for independence and A given B and the others u should be able to do every question?
Reply 65
Original post by Vorsah
Do u think if u can remember the formulas for independence and A given B and the others u should be able to do every question?

yea pretty much, they are are not hard to remember at all just do alot of question and it would soon stick in your head.
if P(A) x P(B) = P(A and B) then they are independent , these are usually 1 or 2 mark questions that are quite easyy if u remember that simple rule.
Im doing the C1 exam week after next and I have been doing lots of past papers, but I cant do some of the questions or I get stuck and Im really worried! I also make a lot of silly mistakes! :mad: Any advice or revision tips?
Reply 67
Original post by nivvy21
Im doing the C1 exam week after next and I have been doing lots of past papers, but I cant do some of the questions or I get stuck and Im really worried! I also make a lot of silly mistakes! :mad: Any advice or revision tips?

Make sure you have a very good understanding of why u do things in maths. Like why do u need to differentiate or why u need to find this point on the line. Having this nothing should surprise you in the exam, only just to think about what you know.
After going through several past papers you should have realised they are literally all the same. The same topics with very similar questions which are not so much varied. There won't be any trick questions or anything you haven't learnt, as long as your knowledge of the topics are to a good level you shouldn't have any trouble. I would recommend to go on exam solutions and answer the exam questions under the different topics, you should then be able to find your weaknesses.
Good luck!

(edited 11 years ago)
Can someone please help me with this question?
Factorise 4x-3x^2-x^3
The answer is x(1-x)(4+x)
I don't understand how they came to this answer :s-smilie:
Reply 69
Original post by Tee Logan x
Can someone please help me with this question?
Factorise 4x-3x^2-x^3
The answer is x(1-x)(4+x)
I don't understand how they came to this answer :s-smilie:

x33x2+4x-x^3-3x^2+4x take out a common factor of x so
x(x23x+4)x(-x^2-3x+4) factorise the bracket inside to get
x(1x)(4+x)x(1-x)(4+x)
Original post by Robbie242
x33x2+4x-x^3-3x^2+4x take out a common factor of x so
x(x23x+4)x(-x^2-3x+4) factorise the bracket inside to get
x(1x)(4+x)x(1-x)(4+x)

But how did you get the last bit? I understand the first 2 steps but i don't understand the last bit. Can you explain that in a little more detail please? :smile: Thanks
Reply 71
But how did you get the last bit? I understand the first 2 steps but i don't understand the last bit. Can you explain that in a little more detail please? :smile: Thanks
Sorry for being away I had a shower! anyway so we have x(-x^2-3x+4) we need to factor this so start of with (x)(x)(-x )(x ) we know from this that x-x multipled by xx gives us x2-x^2 further more we know that we need two numbers that multiply to give 44 If we look clearly at the numbers x-x multiplied by 44 gives us 4x-4x and xx multiplied by one gives us
1x1x then 4x+1x=3x -4x +1x = -3x which is part of the equation and 1x4=4 so factorised x remains on the outside for the cubic this means x=0x=0 if you were asked to solve and then graph it. can you see now how
x(x23x+4)x(-x^2-3x+4) goes to x(1x)(4+x)x(1-x)(4+x) ? if you actually expand the brackets inside you are given x23x+4-x^2-3x+4 sorry if it's not very clear negative quadratics require just a bit of experimenting, but they usually are the same two numbers that multiply to give 44 and then two numbers than multiplied then added together to give 3x.-3x.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry for being away I had a shower! anyway so we have x(-x^2-3x+4) we need to factor this so start of with (x)(x)(-x )(x ) we know from this that x-x multipled by xx gives us x2-x^2 further more we know that we need two numbers that multiply to give 44 If we look clearly at the numbers x-x multiplied by 44 gives us 4x-4x and xx multiplied by one gives us
1x1x then 4x+1x=3x -4x +1x = -3x which is part of the equation and 1x4=4 so factorised x remains on the outside for the cubic this means x=0x=0 if you were asked to solve and then graph it. can you see now how
x(x23x+4)x(-x^2-3x+4) goes to x(1x)(4+x)x(1-x)(4+x) ? if you actually expand the brackets inside you are given x23x+4-x^2-3x+4 sorry if it's not very clear negative quadratics require just a bit of experimenting, but they usually are the same two numbers that multiply to give 44 and then two numbers than multiplied then added together to give 3x.-3x.

It's alright. So we just have to experiment with which numbers fit? This is how we get them to remain in the same order right? Thank you for the help...i think i get the gist of it now :smile:
Reply 73
It's alright. So we just have to experiment with which numbers fit? This is how we get them to remain in the same order right? Thank you for the help...i think i get the gist of it now :smile:
Well not exactly experiment but try combinations that multiply to give 4 and then go from there, obviously there's a limited amount of whole numbers. But if you pretend and visualise you've written it down cross multiply across the brackets then you'll see whether it gives you -3x or not! No problem, I'm doing well at solomon papers so literally any question your stuck on I can help with :smile:!
Well not exactly experiment but try combinations that multiply to give 4 and then go from there, obviously there's a limited amount of whole numbers. But if you pretend and visualise you've written it down cross multiply across the brackets then you'll see whether it gives you -3x or not! No problem, I'm doing well at solomon papers so literally any question your stuck on I can help with :smile:!

Aw thank you :smile: i shall definitely ask u if i'm stuck! i just started solomon papers today...a bit harder than edexcel papers but i'm coping. So are you ready for C1? what else are you doing in terms of revision btw? all i'm doing are the solomon papers, the edexcel papers and questions from the text book but i feel like i need to do more :/ you see i'm never confident in maths no matter how much revision i do :frown:
Reply 75
Aw thank you :smile: i shall definitely ask u if i'm stuck! i just started solomon papers today...a bit harder than edexcel papers but i'm coping. So are you ready for C1? what else are you doing in terms of revision btw? all i'm doing are the solomon papers, the edexcel papers and questions from the text book but i feel like i need to do more :/ you see i'm never confident in maths no matter how much revision i do :frown:

dont worryyy, thats more than enough to prepare you for the exam!
do the papers and go over the topics you are weakest at and you should be finee.
Reply 76
I literally did so much revision at the start that put me ahead of everyone who did on and off revision, so now I'm doing 1 solomon paper a day leading up to the exam up to solomon paper I, being getting 60-75 but more close to 70-75 recently. Other revision is honestly non existent, I've exhausted x2 textbook load of questions.

I'm really ready for c1, aiming for 100 ums (and want to do maths at university)
if your losing marks on areas I'd definitely go to examsolutions, or just practice questions purely on that chapter past papers are always good, half the questions in the textbook help the understanding, with the exam it's application that's essential and understanding.. Only once in the holidays though did I need to practice on my asymptote skills other then that I've become very acquainted with c1, history unit 1 and economics unit 1, hoping to score 90%+ in all of them, what exams have you got and how are you feeling about them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nmanvi
dont worryyy, thats more than enough to prepare you for the exam!
do the papers and go over the topics you are weakest at and you should be finee.

Aw thanks for the reassurance :smile: hopefully it's enough.
I literally did so much revision at the start that put me ahead of everyone who did on and off revision, so now I'm doing 1 solomon paper a day leading up to the exam up to solomon paper I, being getting 60-75 but more close to 70-75 recently. Other revision is honestly non existent, I've exhausted x2 textbook load of questions.

I'm really ready for c1, aiming for 100 ums (and want to do maths at university)
if your losing marks on areas I'd definitely go to examsolutions, or just practice questions purely on that chapter past papers are always good, half the questions in the textbook help the understanding, with the exam it's application that's essential and understanding.. Only once in the holidays though did I need to practice on my asymptote skills other then that I've become very acquainted with c1, history unit 1 and economics unit 1, hoping to score 90%+ in all of them, what exams have you got and how are you feeling about them?

Well done you for thinking ahead and starting preparation early! That's really good marks you're getting with the solomon papers. Well seeing that you're trying extremely hard i'm sure it's possible for you to get 100 UMS :biggrin: Maths at uni? woah do you like maths that much? i've got just one other exam- chem unit 1. Prepared better for that than maths...that's why i'm really working my ass off for maths now. I did do more revision for maths than chem i guess from like the beginning of when school started that's why i concentrated more on chem during the holidays. Good luck with your exams then (:
Reply 79
Well done you for thinking ahead and starting preparation early! That's really good marks you're getting with the solomon papers. Well seeing that you're trying extremely hard i'm sure it's possible for you to get 100 UMS :biggrin: Maths at uni? woah do you like maths that much? i've got just one other exam- chem unit 1. Prepared better for that than maths...that's why i'm really working my ass off for maths now. I did do more revision for maths than chem i guess from like the beginning of when school started that's why i concentrated more on chem during the holidays. Good luck with your exams then (:
I really do love maths :biggrin: I was taking media this time last year and had my heart set on ICT and media alevel, then I realised how they don't actually do anything (no offence to people that do them) so instead I turned to maths, and then I started to love it after scoring DDB at gcse I was finally allowed in the alevel, and then I worked my ass off.
As I did with economics and history :wink: I've got to wish you good luck and hope you do very well! You should be fine just try not to get terribly worked up about maths, it will click in the exam :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending