The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PauLLL
Very very expensive to run. Cheap to buy but insurance isn't all that bad. I'm only 21 and I've been quoted about £800 a year fully comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where did you get that quote from, if you don't mind me asking. I am looking to buy one long as I can get insured for under £1500 being 21 atm.
Reply 21
Original post by faz0110
where did you get that quote from, if you don't mind me asking. I am looking to buy one long as I can get insured for under £1500 being 21 atm.

You should reconsider........ yes the car is cheap to get but theres a reason why.
It costs a lot to run around and to maintain....... I recall it had a certain engine issue and poor miles per a gallon.
Reply 22
Original post by Iqbal007
You should reconsider........ yes the car is cheap to get but theres a reason why.
It costs a lot to run around and to maintain....... I recall it had a certain engine issue and poor miles per a gallon.

I can get insured on one for £800 and i'm 19 with 1 years NCB :biggrin:.

My mate had one (recently sold it to get a bike) and the fuel consumption was awful. He'd be lucky to get double digit MPG numbers in the city.
It's horrible and Japanese. Rotary ****el engines sound crap. It doesn't have any torque. It has crap fuel economy.

*Bloody swear filter... ****el isn't a swear word!*
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDudeson
It's horrible and Japanese. Rotary ****el engines sound crap. It doesn't have any torque. It has crap fuel economy.

There's nothing wrong with Japanese cars :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I have just gone to comparethemarket.com and the cheapest one is
Your one off payment£23,632.12

Or pay 9 monthly installments of £2,234.28 plus a £3,548.57 deposit

it is a rip of as the car is only worth a £1000
Original post by brown90
I have just gone to comparethemarket.com and the cheapest one is
Your one off payment£23,632.12

Or pay 9 monthly installments of £2,234.28 plus a £3,548.57 deposit

it is a rip of as the car is only worth a £1000

Its not so much about insuring the car for you. Most about insuring others around you.

One of these cars is about the same to insure as my daily.
Original post by CaptainDudeson

Torque is over rated. My daily has all its torque available from 2000rpm and tbh. Despite the fact its a group 17/20 (previous grouping system) its slow.
Original post by Sam Walters
Torque is over rated. My daily has all its torque available from 2000rpm and tbh. Despite the fact its a group 17/20 (previous grouping system) its slow.

Overrated? I don't think so. How much torque does your car have and how heavy is it?
RX8 has LOADS of problems, not worth the trouble. They're not quick either.
Reply 30
Original post by Camoxide
It's not really a 1.3.

How is it a 2.6? It is a 1.3. It's the volume of the engine, so isn't 'basically' anything.
Reply 31
Original post by Geo_cos
How is it a 2.6? It is a 1.3. It's the volume of the engine, so isn't 'basically' anything.

Because the swept volume of a ****el engine isn't really analogous to the swept volume of a reciprocating engine. For a start, a ****el engine doesn't have the 'dead' reciprocation of a 4 stroke. Camoxide is correct.
If you like it go for it but insurance will be high. I have a Toyota Auris in the UK and a Subaru Impreza WRX STI in Canada. I've got insurance but its high. Especially for the Subaru
Reply 33
I have one of these 231 bhp and i have had her for quite some time and after sorting the hot start issues and replacing a sensor in the engine, a cheaky service and keeping an eye on the oil. This is an awsome car that can turn any frown upside down when driving. I would highly recomend buying one of these after checking the car over thoroughly picking the previous owners brains and finding out how well he has looked after his, you can normally smell the bulls**t if its there.

Hope this helps
Original post by Stacyf85
I have one of these 231 bhp and i have had her for quite some time and after sorting the hot start issues and replacing a sensor in the engine, a cheaky service and keeping an eye on the oil. This is an awsome car that can turn any frown upside down when driving. I would highly recomend buying one of these after checking the car over thoroughly picking the previous owners brains and finding out how well he has looked after his, you can normally smell the bulls**t if its there.

Hope this helps

I think the time for advice may have been and gone.
Reply 35
where did you get the £1200 quote? and do you have no claims? you must have no claims...
It you want an expensive to insure girls car then go ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sandvika
It you want an expensive to insure girls car then go ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile

Girls car :rolleyes:
this Gif will help explain why many say the rotary in the rex is technically a 2.6; due to the setup it just means that half of the capacity is working exhaust whilst the 'working' capacity of 1.3 remains.

it also shows why things such as tips simply don't last very long...
Reply 39
Sometimes it'll come under 2.6 on the logbook or 1.3. If it's 1.3 you're lucky as many insurance companies will just look at the engine size and add an extra premium on top of.

Latest

Trending

Trending