The Student Room Group

whats the nicest car a 17 year old could get insured on?

hi there,

just wanted to ask about what the best car a 17 year old could drive would be. im talking about a relatively sensible range where insurance wouldnt cost over 6-8k even though thats very expensive as well. Would a volvo s90 be insurable for a 17 year old for example. im looking at sedans rather than smaller cars most people at this age have.
Looking on comparison websites everyone situation is different. How big do you want the engine. Auto trader would be a good place to look.
Original post by zynnjah123
hi there,

just wanted to ask about what the best car a 17 year old could drive would be. im talking about a relatively sensible range where insurance wouldnt cost over 6-8k even though thats very expensive as well. Would a volvo s90 be insurable for a 17 year old for example. im looking at sedans rather than smaller cars most people at this age have.

Get a few quotes online for different cars.
Car insurance varies a lot depending on a lot of different factors. We cant say how much your insurance would be.
So yeah, try quotes for different cars online to see what prices you get.
In short, it doesn't work that way. You need to get quotes for your own circumstances as they will vary wildly.
Reply 4
hi there,

Personally i think a reasonable range for insurance is anywhere between the range of £500 & , if you're stretching at the upper end, around £2000. Hence, personally, I don't think "relatively sensible" and "6-8k" fall ANYWHERE in the same sentence.

I think you'd be much better off buying a small little runaround car that's cheaper to insure and maintain (look for toyotas, vauxhalls, mazda's etc) for a couple years while you build up your NCBs and save massively on insurance. Then you can really splurge for a nice vehicle with the money you would have saved not paying stupid prices for insurance + then cheaper premiums with your few years NCBs.

Now to answer your question, YES a volvo s90 would probably be insurable for a 17 year old. However, I wouldn't hope for many insurers (even after looking at price comparison sites) and the ones that do offer will charge you an arm and a leg for the premium, its a stupid price most of the regular population aren't meant to accept.

These are the worst things you can be in terms of insurance:
- Young (typically 17 - 21)
- Male
- Living in built up areas with previous histories of accidents
- No dependents (wife, children, OAPs, etc)
- No previous driving history / experience
- Insurance group. The volvo s90 (assuming base model Momentum) starts in insurance group 27, a group I'd personally find personally too high anyway (I'm 22 and have been driving since I was 18) to insure.
...and a few more too, these are just off the top of my head.

Not to mention if you aren't skint by the time insurance is done with you, you'll also have to keep up with maintenance for a premium vehicle, which certainly isn't cheap.

Summary: Yes you probably can get insured for that volvo, however i'd strongly reccomend you re-think your choice as at 17, there are a plethora of other things you can spend your hard earned money on / or will need for in the near future.

If you're dripping with cash, ignore my advice. I'm working with the assumption you're an average 17 year old like the rest of us once were lol.
Reply 5
hi there,

Absolutely lovely to see you're already considering a Volvo. I had a p2 s60 at 18, £700 for the year.

Generally any cars that aren't driven by young people are good. I currently pay £550 for my saab 9-3 aero and £400 for my 900, that's with six points, aged 21. Old man cars are the way to go.

not sure if the s90 would be affordable though as it's quite new, might be worth running quotes for older, middle aged people cars, eg. P2 Volvos, Saabs, Skodas (not hatchback ones, also admittedly not cool.)

Assuming it's affordable power you're looking for, a diesel could be the way to go, they're generally cheaper to insure, and the amount of torque vs a petrol engine makes them surprisingly nippy - the 200bhp (diesel) Volvo I had at 18 has a similar 0-60 as my 250bhp (petrol) Saab, purely because of torque and the turbo DUMPING at 2.5k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending