The Student Room Group

Transfer from UCL to Imperial

Hi guys and girls!

I'm currently in my 2nd year at UCL studying MEng Chemical Engineering and was thinking of transferring to Imperial for my final year.

I would love to go to Imperial but the fees is what's keeping me off (I pay the £3000 fees).

So basically, should I consider transferring to Imperial or stick it out at UCL?
Original post by Ade9000
Hi guys and girls!

I'm currently in my 2nd year at UCL studying MEng Chemical Engineering and was thinking of transferring to Imperial for my final year.

I would love to go to Imperial but the fees is what's keeping me off (I pay the £3000 fees).

So basically, should I consider transferring to Imperial or stick it out at UCL?

Firstly, I do not think you would be able to transfer into the final year as universities usually require that you to have completed at least the majority of your years there in order to graduate.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you would gain from transferring. Unless you are very unhappy where you're at I can't see why you would want to transfer.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying! I thought this thread would go unanswered forever!

I'm not unhappy but I'm not too keen on the masters that UCL offer. The Imperial masters has a structure that appeals more to me.

But if I'm truly stuck at UCL, I can live with it. No biggie :smile:
Reply 3
It would be best to contact Imperial directly and find out if they even entertain transfers, they are not known for it. If they do in your subject don't be surprised if you are offered a start in the second year of the degree rather than the third year. Talk to your tutors at UCL, see if there are any revisions to content in upcoming years.

I would suggest sticking it at out UCL from a finance standpoint. You can always do a standalone Masters at Imperial later, although you might be subject to ELQ premium.
Original post by Ade9000
Hi guys and girls!

did you manage to transfer, in the end?
Original post by cortadita
did you manage to transfer, in the end?

Nah. I decided to stick it out at UCL. I may do another Masters at Imperial if I fancy it. Until then, UCL all the way!
Reply 6
Original post by Ade9000
Nah. I decided to stick it out at UCL. I may do another Masters at Imperial if I fancy it. Until then, UCL all the way!

would you happen to know imperial's transfer policy on chemistry? I'm going into my first year- but i'd like to transfer to imperial on my second year. I've gone onto their chemistry webpage and there's nothing there about transferring- but there is for the biology page- so i'm assuming you can't?
Original post by chocomoco
would you happen to know imperial's transfer policy on chemistry? I'm going into my first year- but i'd like to transfer to imperial on my second year. I've gone onto their chemistry webpage and there's nothing there about transferring- but there is for the biology page- so i'm assuming you can't?

I'm blank on this, mate. Sorry. Your best bet is contacting Imperial themselves.
Original post by chocomoco

Best to check directly but I believe universities such as Imperial do not encourage transfers, especially if you have applied to them and did not get an offer. It would have to be exceptional, like your results are tops and it is in their interests to steal you from UCL. You can always do a Masters at Imperial. UCL is an excellent university. Congratulations and just enjoy yourself there and not think about the proverbial greener grass next door.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending