The Student Room Group

MEng or BEng Computer science??

Im applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bath and one more which is still undecided (for CS). I know for Cambridge you cant choose a masters, but for UCL and Imperial specifically, is there any competitiveness between the different types of courses? I believe i have a pretty strong application, but still would like to maximise my chances.

I know that if youre on the masters course, you can transfer back to a bachelors after second year or around that, but can you do it the opposite way?

Basically i just want to know if there is any way of maximising my chances by picking one certain qualification over the other.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
If the entry requirements are the same for the BEng or MEng then they are probably considered as one group and there will not be a 'quota' for each - but they only way you can be sure is to email each Uni and ask.

If you are applying to all of these mega competitive Unis for CS, you will need a very realistic lower grade Insurance choice.
Reply 2
My understanding based on the open days at Imperial last year was that they treat such applications equally, i.e. you can't maximise your chances of entry by choosing a specific Computing course. This was based on the assumption that you should be able to switch between the 3/4 year courses in the 3rd year, based on the grades achieved. Even if you applied for a 4 year course, if you don't get the required grades you can't do the Masters. Similarly, if you apply for the 3 Year course, you have the flexibility of opting for an extra year (and Masters degree) if you secure the required grades.

In general I have heard that one shouldn't apply for Masters upfront unless you (and your school) consider yourself as a strong applicant as it may backfire. But I may be wrong here.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
If the entry requirements are the same for the BEng or MEng then they are probably considered as one group and there will not be a 'quota' for each - but they only way you can be sure is to email each Uni and ask.

If you are applying to all of these mega competitive Unis for CS, you will need a very realistic lower grade Insurance choice.

Yeah ive decided that Bath and Sheffield are going to be my safer options, and have worked out that my offers for these unis will be AAAB and AAB, which i think is reasonable considering ive been predicted 4A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending