The Student Room Group

Is Sussex good for Mechanical Engineering?

My A-level were quite decent and I could have gone to places like UCL, Manchester, Birmingham to do Mechanical Engineering. But not quite Oxbridge or Imperial yet. However, when I told my family that I would go to Sussex, they were very disappointed. I mean, is Sussex that bad? I don't want to live in London cause it's too busy and expensive so UCL is off my list. When I looked at the syllabus at Manchester, they only include 1 small module related to electrical and I probably can't work or transfer into electrical related fields like robotics or mechatronics after graduation, where as Sussex has lots of options and the program seem quite balanced and I would get to do more projects which is what I want to do. For Birmingham, I went to see the Uni and I didn't feel like it. The place is big but quite grim and serious to me for some reasons. Also, Birmingham don't seem to include Strength of Materials in the course which is an important subject for ME?
Right now, Sussex just seem quite the perfect place for me. It is in Brighton which has a beach, more places to go. But like, I have heard it from people that it's only good for Humanities or Law but not for Engineering? Will I be employable after I graduate if I go to Sussex? Please share your thoughts, cheers.
Original post by Ponpoungpet
My A-level were quite decent and I could have gone to places like UCL, Manchester, Birmingham to do Mechanical Engineering. But not quite Oxbridge or Imperial yet. However, when I told my family that I would go to Sussex, they were very disappointed. I mean, is Sussex that bad? I don't want to live in London cause it's too busy and expensive so UCL is off my list. When I looked at the syllabus at Manchester, they only include 1 small module related to electrical and I probably can't work or transfer into electrical related fields like robotics or mechatronics after graduation, where as Sussex has lots of options and the program seem quite balanced and I would get to do more projects which is what I want to do. For Birmingham, I went to see the Uni and I didn't feel like it. The place is big but quite grim and serious to me for some reasons. Also, Birmingham don't seem to include Strength of Materials in the course which is an important subject for ME?
Right now, Sussex just seem quite the perfect place for me. It is in Brighton which has a beach, more places to go. But like, I have heard it from people that it's only good for Humanities or Law but not for Engineering? Will I be employable after I graduate if I go to Sussex? Please share your thoughts, cheers.

Sussex Mechanical Engineering graduate here.

It was honestly the best decision of my life going there (and I'm not just saying this I actually mean it). You will not go wrong and Brighton is awesome.

Any questions feel free to ask :smile:
I tried their robotics MSc and it was bogus. Go to a better uni (preferably a russel group)
Reply 3
Original post by trapking
Sussex Mechanical Engineering graduate here.

It was honestly the best decision of my life going there (and I'm not just saying this I actually mean it). You will not go wrong and Brighton is awesome.

Any questions feel free to ask :smile:

another comment below said robotics was rubbish was that your experience?
Reply 4
Original post by Ponpoungpet

below post says robotics wasn't good was that your experience?

Quick Reply

Latest