The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial new Medical Biosciences

Hi guys I’m currently a year 1 Medical Biosciences student at Imperial. It has been 5 weeks since we started, however, things are not as good as expected so if you are considering this course, you might want to think twice before you apply.

The website says ‘The course has been re-designed and it’s more lab-focused’.

-You won’t have any lectures, seminars or even tutorials.

I knew most of the contents of this course is delivered online by e-modules before I came but I thought there would be tutorials or other forms of interaction with your professors. No, the only thing you get is Face-to-face session where you sit in a large classroom with about 70+ students and you discuss questions in your team (5-6 students). For each module, you will only have 10 multiple-choice questions and 2-4 so-called application questions which basically you just go on google and find the information you need. I can hardly learn from our teammates when there’re only 12 questions and most of my teammates feel the same.

-E-modules

You have to complete the e-module before you go to the face-to-face session. However, the e-modules are not in details and you could even get mistakes in it. This course starts in 2017 and I would be truly surprised if no one found and pointed out those mistakes before. That would cause a lot of misunderstanding of the contents. Most of the time, you will need to search for other resources on YouTube or Wikipedia to fully understand. In this case, why don’t we simply learn from Coursera or Khan Academy? At least they cover almost all the things you need.

-Lab pods

We only have 2 lab sessions so far, so I would say it’s alright at this point.

-Time schedule

We only have two 3-hour face-to-face sessions and a 9-5 lab session so for most of the time, you are free. It sounds nice but bear in mind that all the other students have back-to-back lectures, seminars and tutorials. My friends are all busy af and they have so much to learn, while I was there in the library going through the books on the reading list as currently I have no other e-modules to learn! It makes me wonder where all those money goes? £9250 for home students and £30,000 for international students?

My personal experience is that I don’t feel satisfied with the new teaching method. Imperial is one of the top universities in the country and I was expecting a well-organised course. The fact is that our course, medical biosciences, is like being forgotten. We don’t have enough resources and support comparing to other students. I’m not the only one feeling this, I know some people transferred to biochem or other courses and people complaining. I had offers from UCL and KCL but I chose IC because I want to do research in the future and I thought a more lab-focused programme might help. Right now I feel being left behind by all the year 1 biomedical students in the country.

So, please, do think twice before you apply.

Scroll to see replies

damn dude.. now i dont know what to do..
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Thanks for the info, I’ve heard this from other people as well :frown: sort of wish I’d applied to biochem and not biomed now !
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys I’m currently a year 1 Medical Biosciences student at Imperial. It has been 5 weeks since we started, however, things are not as good as expected so if you are considering this course, you might want to think twice before you apply.

The website says ‘The course has been re-designed and it’s more lab-focused’.

-You won’t have any lectures, seminars or even tutorials.

I knew most of the contents of this course is delivered online by e-modules before I came but I thought there would be tutorials or other forms of interaction with your professors. No, the only thing you get is Face-to-face session where you sit in a large classroom with about 70+ students and you discuss questions in your team (5-6 students). For each module, you will only have 10 multiple-choice questions and 2-4 so-called application questions which basically you just go on google and find the information you need. I can hardly learn from our teammates when there’re only 12 questions and most of my teammates feel the same.

-E-modules

You have to complete the e-module before you go to the face-to-face session. However, the e-modules are not in details and you could even get mistakes in it. This course starts in 2017 and I would be truly surprised if no one found and pointed out those mistakes before. That would cause a lot of misunderstanding of the contents. Most of the time, you will need to search for other resources on YouTube or Wikipedia to fully understand. In this case, why don’t we simply learn from Coursera or Khan Academy? At least they cover almost all the things you need.

-Lab pods

We only have 2 lab sessions so far, so I would say it’s alright at this point.

-Time schedule

We only have two 3-hour face-to-face sessions and a 9-5 lab session so for most of the time, you are free. It sounds nice but bear in mind that all the other students have back-to-back lectures, seminars and tutorials. My friends are all busy af and they have so much to learn, while I was there in the library going through the books on the reading list as currently I have no other e-modules to learn! It makes me wonder where all those money goes? £9250 for home students and £30,000 for international students?

My personal experience is that I don’t feel satisfied with the new teaching method. Imperial is one of the top universities in the country and I was expecting a well-organised course. The fact is that our course, medical biosciences, is like being forgotten. We don’t have enough resources and support comparing to other students. I’m not the only one feeling this, I know some people transferred to biochem or other courses and people complaining. I had offers from UCL and KCL but I chose IC because I want to do research in the future and I thought a more lab-focused programme might help. Right now I feel being left behind by all the year 1 biomedical students in the country.

So, please, do think twice before you apply.

Hi any update on how you are finding it now?
Reply 4
There are people who transferred to biochem on the very first day and also across the first 3 weeks. Don’t worry, if you get in and do not like biomed anymore, you have a chance to transfer.
Reply 5
Original post by marie4612
Thanks for the info, I’ve heard this from other people as well :frown: sort of wish I’d applied to biochem and not biomed now !

There are people who transferred to biochem on the very first day and also across the first 3 weeks. Don’t worry, if you get in and do not like biomed anymore, you have a chance to transfer.
Reply 6
Hi any update on how you are finding it now?

E-modules:

The two modules we have done this term (Chemistry of Biological Interactions and Molecular and Cellular Biology) are ridiculous. We found more mistakes after I start this thread. Some of the contents are completely copied and pasted from the textbook in our reading list added several links of YouTube videos. Khan Academy is more detailed than our e-modules. Some of the students I know just go directly to YouTube videos and that's much more efficient.

One of the professors is unbelievably poor at explaining questions. The most ridiculous thing we found is that we have something online -Padlet - to ask questions. They said at the very beginning of the term "We'll answer every question you posted". Saw someone posted "'m not quite sure about xxx, could you please explain more?" They answered "No sorry, we can't do this". Lmao.

The online test system ALWAYS goes wrong and they seem to be unable to fix this thing completely.

Lab pods:

Lab is awesome this term. Professors and Teaching Fellows are always there to help and they explain things well.

However, this is not worth of your money. (£30,000/£31,000 for good lab and awful teaching?) I strongly recommend that people who are not into research or lab practice choose other courses. Our course is not accredited so you won’t be able to work in the NHS (remembered that’s how they told us).

Have you got any specific questions? I’d love to answer :smile: can’t stand to see more students who look forward to getting into uni and studying biomed ended up here suffering.
Reply 7
E-modules:

The two modules we have done this term (Chemistry of Biological Interactions and Molecular and Cellular Biology) are ridiculous. We found more mistakes after I start this thread. Some of the contents are completely copied and pasted from the textbook in our reading list added several links of YouTube videos. Khan Academy is more detailed than our e-modules. Some of the students I know just go directly to YouTube videos and that's much more efficient.

One of the professors is unbelievably poor at explaining questions. The most ridiculous thing we found is that we have something online -Padlet - to ask questions. They said at the very beginning of the term "We'll answer every question you posted". Saw someone posted "'m not quite sure about xxx, could you please explain more?" They answered "No sorry, we can't do this". Lmao.

The online test system ALWAYS goes wrong and they seem to be unable to fix this thing completely.

Lab pods:

Lab is awesome this term. Professors and Teaching Fellows are always there to help and they explain things well.

However, this is not worth of your money. (£30,000/£31,000 for good lab and awful teaching?) I strongly recommend that people who are not into research or lab practice choose other courses. Our course is not accredited so you won’t be able to work in the NHS (remembered that’s how they told us).

Have you got any specific questions? I’d love to answer :smile: can’t stand to see more students who look forward to getting into uni and studying biomed ended up here suffering.

Accredited by NHS meaning? Accredited courses help pursuing medicine later?
E-modules:

Lab pods:

dude.. did other students complain to the school? or is the department working on improving their e-modules? are there still hopes..? thank you!

Thanks, that’s good to know! Is it difficult to transfer to biochem, though? Like, are they really picky about who gets to transfer?
E-modules:

Lab pods:

I am very worried about your posting and that you are so keen to put everyone off the course. I absolutely love the course!
I am very worried about your posting and that you are so keen to put everyone off the course. I absolutely love the course!

Hi! I applied to medical biosciences this year and was just wondering what you like about the course?
E-modules:

Lab pods:

Hi, any more updates on how you're finding it now? is it still as bad?
Reply 13
Is it really that bad do u feel like you arnt learning anything
Reply 14
Can you share some more info please? is it the case that you really have no teaching or contact hours other than lab supervision? It sounds more like online learning with a one-day lab practical per week? thanks for any info you can share - Ive applied but from what you're describing it really sounds like a bad way to spend three years and a lot of money...
I’m an offer holder and I’m interested in research, would you say that UCL’s biomed course is better than Imperial’s BMB? Originally I preferred Imperial, but after seeing your post and hearing from others I’m starting to think whether I should go to UCL instead
Reply 16
Original post by jncw
I’m an offer holder and I’m interested in research, would you say that UCL’s biomed course is better than Imperial’s BMB? Originally I preferred Imperial, but after seeing your post and hearing from others I’m starting to think whether I should go to UCL instead

I am in the same boat. Offers from Imperial, UCL and King’s. Not sure now
Reply 17

Could you tell us please what you love about this course? And also whether you share any reservations of your co-student? Thank you
Original post by Munrhe
I am in the same boat. Offers from Imperial, UCL and King’s. Not sure now

heyy! Can I ask if there is a formal offer letter or Imperial Gateway account email that they will send after admitting you? I've just got UCAS track update and a confirmation email but I was wondering if there is a formal offer letter? Thank you!!
Reply 19
I only got the UCAS update a d an invitation to an offer holders event

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending