The Student Room Group

C1 Maths Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
Substitute y=5 and x=1 into your answer for (a) and this will give you the value of the constant of integration.

Now substitute x=1 into your equation.

Thanks, 1 more sneaky question please

(a) Evaluate (6.25) to the power of -0.5

(b) Solve the equation
4 (to the power of) x = 2 (to the power of) x+3

Thanks
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Thanks, 1 more sneaky question please

(a) Evaluate (6.25) to the power of -0.5

(b) Solve the equation
4 (to the power of) x = 2 (to the power of) x+3

Thanks

I'm getting fed up now!

(a) Write 6.25 as an improper (top heavy) fraction. Now negative powers tell you to take the reciprocal and a power of 0.5 means take the square root.

(b) Rewrite 4 as 222^2 and apply the rules of indices.
Original post by Mr M
I'm getting fed up now!

(a) Write 6.25 as an improper (top heavy) fraction. Now negative powers tell you to take the reciprocal and a power of 0.5 means take the square root.

(b) Rewrite 4 as 222^2 and apply the rules of indices.

is a 2/5

b x=3

Thanks for your help and sorry for annoying you with questions
is a 2/5

b x=3

Thanks for your help and sorry for annoying you with questions

Yes and yes and no problem. Don't think of any more questions just now!
Hi, I got this question in a past paper which seems to come up a lot - the area of a right-angled triangle on a graph. In the mark scheme it says "using 1/2(Xc - Xa)Yb" but I was never taught this formula! Using pythagoras gives me some funny answers so I believe the mark scheme but then I input the X and Y coords (I'm assuming the little letter signifies which coord) and I get a completely different answer from the mark scheme!

These are the points I have got so far, correct: A(0,4), B(8/3,0), C(-6,0)
so following the formula I get 1/2(-6-0)0 which must be wrong because I just get 0?

The mark scheme somehow gets 1/2(8/3 - 6)4

Could someone please explain this to me? I'm so confused and the exam is in two weeks, this has seriously thrown me back :frown:
Reply 25
I see, i just misread the question. The graph of y=(x-4)squared would move to the left 4 right?

Check direction, sub in some values to help with this if need be :smile:
J x
Original post by voodoo_child

so following the formula I get 1/2(-6-0)0 which must be wrong because I just get 0?

I presume that should say +6

Have you drawn a diagram

If, so you should be able to see the base of the triangle is the x-axis from -6 to 8/3 = 8/3+6 and the height is the y-axis up to 4

Area of a triangle = 1/2 base x height
Reply 27
Original post by voodoo_child
Hi, I got this question in a past paper which seems to come up a lot - the area of a right-angled triangle on a graph. In the mark scheme it says "using 1/2(Xc - Xa)Yb" but I was never taught this formula! Using pythagoras gives me some funny answers so I believe the mark scheme but then I input the X and Y coords (I'm assuming the little letter signifies which coord) and I get a completely different answer from the mark scheme!

Could someone please explain this to me? I'm so confused and the exam is in two weeks, this has seriously thrown me back :frown:

Hey, I struggle with these too! I've found the only way I can do it is if I split them up into two right smaller triangles, but, that gets even harder when the co-ordinates are fractions. :frown:

I've never learnt your way either. There's a way using a "Determinant" which is on the mark scheme which looks good, but, confusing... :frown:
Original post by HapHazard1

Hey, I struggle with these too! I've found the only way I can do it is if I split them up into two right smaller triangles, but, that gets even harder when the co-ordinates are fractions. :frown:

I've never learnt your way either. There's a way using a "Determinant" which is on the mark scheme which looks good, but, confusing... :frown:

In c1 they will always be straightforward 1/2 base x height triangles
Original post by TenOfThem
I presume that should say +6

Have you drawn a diagram

If, so you should be able to see the base of the triangle is the x-axis from -6 to 8/3 = 8/3+6 and the height is the y-axis up to 4

Area of a triangle = 1/2 base x height

No it's definitely -6 or I wouldn't have written the sign, but anyway you've cleared it up so thank you so much! I was clearly suffering from a lack of common sense -.- It should have been obvious that I just calculate the difference/distance between the coords. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Quick Reply

Latest