The Student Room Group

Paramedic science undergraduate degree questions...

Currently, I work as a Healthcare Assistant at my local NHS Trust in T&O and there are no apprenticeships on offer that I can apply for, which is unfortunate but they are working on this. I have been in Healthcare for 3.5 years with some gaps due to having children.

I understand I need a CAT 1 and undergo a physical assessment. However, I am unsure whether my qualification will be enough? My highest degree is PGCE in Post Compulsory Education and Training, followed by a BA (HONS) in Textile Design. Prior to this I did BTECs in arty stuff and achieved enough GCSE's A*-C (old system) including triple science, english and achieved adult numeracy level 1 and 2 whilst studying my PGCE.

Would this be okay? I know each university is different and I would need to work round my children, but my other concern is placements? Do they organise this with local hospitals and Trusts? I know the hours of travel can go up to 1.5 but is that from your residency or the campus?

Depending if I meet the requirements, whether commuting is best or moving closer to University. I have a while to plan and sort myself out and go to open days etc...
Original post by Kbowdy
Currently, I work as a Healthcare Assistant at my local NHS Trust in T&O and there are no apprenticeships on offer that I can apply for, which is unfortunate but they are working on this. I have been in Healthcare for 3.5 years with some gaps due to having children.

I understand I need a CAT 1 and undergo a physical assessment. However, I am unsure whether my qualification will be enough? My highest degree is PGCE in Post Compulsory Education and Training, followed by a BA (HONS) in Textile Design. Prior to this I did BTECs in arty stuff and achieved enough GCSE's A*-C (old system) including triple science, english and achieved adult numeracy level 1 and 2 whilst studying my PGCE.

Would this be okay? I know each university is different and I would need to work round my children, but my other concern is placements? Do they organise this with local hospitals and Trusts? I know the hours of travel can go up to 1.5 but is that from your residency or the campus?

Depending if I meet the requirements, whether commuting is best or moving closer to University. I have a while to plan and sort myself out and go to open days etc...

Hi, sorry if I misinterpreted the question. But if you are asking about applying to paramedic science, I’m a third year student paramedic so can help out.

The C1 category on your licence isn’t compulsory for applying to the course, you just need to hold a provisional C1 when applying for a job as a newly qualified paramedic. The C1 provisional licence requires a medical checkup from a doctor and an eye assessment.

Placements: you are given a mentor who works at a station you apply to do your placements at (normally the closest station to where you live). You just follow their rostered shifts. Normally you can have around 10-12 weeks of placement in each academic year for most paramedic science courses.

However, if you wish to work for the ambulance service, a paramedic science degree is not necessary. You can apply to your local trust as an Assistant ambulance practitioner (AAP) where you will receive training before working on ambulances. From this you can apply for an EAC course and then progress to doing your paramedic course. This was you can learn and work simultaneously

Quick Reply

Latest