The Student Room Group

A2 6BIO4 SNAB 11th Jan 2013: Let's test each other

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ItsDatGuy
Are the 09 papers from the old spec? cause if they are would there be any point in doing them?

Parts of it may be. But even if isn't it doesn't matter because its all about practice! Ignore whatever thats not in the spec, Ive been doing 2001 papers for Chem, its still useful :smile:
Reply 41
Are the 09 papers from the old spec? cause if they are would there be any point in doing them?

It can't hurt to check them out but I had a quick look at the old specimen paper for 6I04? I believe and I could only attempt a small fraction of the questions that weren't based around the interpretation of data.

Does anyone know if specimen papers exist for this specification?
Reply 42
Original post by Shakaa
It can't hurt to check them out but I had a quick look at the old specimen paper for 6I04? I believe and I could only attempt a small fraction of the questions that weren't based around the interpretation of data.

Does anyone know if specimen papers exist for this specification?

Here you go. :wink:
Reply 43
Original post by AmirHabeeb

Ah that's fantastic.

Also if anyone's interested I found some superb notes here
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by AmirHabeeb

Cheers, is their a mark scheme for that?
Reply 45
Original post by Shakaa
Ah that's fantastic.

Cheers, is their a mark scheme for that?

Yup. Sorry forgot to upload. :redface:
Reply 46
Original post by Shakaa
Ah that's fantastic.

Thank you for the notes!

Wanna revise?
Reply 47
Original post by Shakaa
Ah that's fantastic.

Awesome notes dude
Reply 48
What is the difference between GPP and NPP? (3marks)
Reply 49
Why are there only 3-4 trophic levels? (3marks)
Reply 50
Original post by NilabKebab
What is the difference between GPP and NPP? (3marks)

GPP: The percentage of energy from the sun which is transferred into plant material

NPP: Percentage of the suns energy converted into plant Biomass

NPP=GPP-Respiration

Why are there only 3-4 trophic levels? (3marks)

Increasing small amounts of energy has passed onto the next Trophic level therefore organisms at higher trophic levels often have to cover greater and greater distances to get enough food to supply their needs, as you reach the 4th-5th trophic level the energy required to travel great distances aswel as find mates becomes greater than the energy available and thus unsustainable.
Reply 51
Original post by Shakaa
GPP: The percentage of energy from the sun which is transferred into plant material

NPP: Percentage of the suns energy converted into plant Biomass

NPP=GPP-Respiration

Increasing small amounts of energy has passed onto the next Trophic level therefore organisms at higher trophic levels often have to cover greater and greater distances to get enough food to supply their needs, as you reach the 4th-5th trophic level the energy required to travel great distances aswel as find mates becomes greater than the energy available and thus unsustainable.

Excellent answer for the first question. On the second question you could also mention:
-energy transfer is not efficient enough
-Not all energy available is eaten eg spikes/ roots, Energy is lost in faeces/bones and to surroundings by heat energy.
-Thus there are always less energy available at each trophic level- once it gets to 3/4th trophic level there just isn’t enough energy to continue the food chain.
Reply 52
Excellent answer for the first question. On the second question you could also mention:
-energy transfer is not efficient enough
-Not all energy available is eaten eg spikes/ roots, Energy is lost in faeces/bones and to surroundings by heat energy.
-Thus there are always less energy available at each trophic level- once it gets to 3/4th trophic level there just isn’t enough energy to continue the food chain.

Ah it crossed my mind whilst putting it in, I blame lack of sleep :P
Reply 53
He you guys being doing past papers? I have being doing poorly (losing nearly 30 marks) but still getting a* or high a according to the grade boundaries for BIOLOGY 4 in that year. Whats up? Are the grade boundaries different or something?
Reply 54
Original post by dineshn
He you guys being doing past papers? I have being doing poorly (losing nearly 30 marks) but still getting a* or high a according to the grade boundaries for BIOLOGY 4 in that year. Whats up? Are the grade boundaries different or something?

The grade boundaries are low but its all to do with how students across the country do. If youre getting A*s its a good sign :smile: Yh I dropped loads of marks on the jan 2011 paper lol :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
How do tubercles form? (3)
Reply 56
Don't want to jinx myself but Biology exams are "easy" in the sense all you have to do is put the time and effort in to learn the content there's very little in the way on concepts that you need to understand unlike physics or chemistry.
Reply 57
How do tubercles form? (3)

We seriously don't need to know stuff like this
Reply 58
Original post by Shakaa
Don't want to jinx myself but Biology exams are "easy" in the sense all you have to do is put the time and effort in to learn the content there's very little in the way on concepts that you need to understand unlike physics or chemistry.

find chemistry easier as its straight forward
bio = too much waffle

esp hate analysing graphs
Reply 59
Original post by Hdizzle
find chemistry easier as its straight forward
bio = too much waffle

esp hate analysing graphs

I am self teaching all my A levels, it's just speculation but I think having a tutor really pays off with Chemistry and maybe Math too, where as with Biology I genuinely think I am better off self teaching it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending