The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by River85
It is the person who ultimately gets the job, based on their abilities and work experience. University name is typically of little to no importance, though there are obviously exceptions.

Prestige is abstract and to some extent subjective.

For example, didn't you once say that Warwick isn't well known outside the UK? Strange, then, that most of the international students obsessed with prestige and recognition of UK universities overseas actually place Warwick as

Any major employer will be aware of all universities in the country, particularly Russell Group universities. In fact, some of the largest, most targeted universities in the country are not in your list.

In fact, in global employer reviews universities universities such as Durham, Warwick and Bath are higher, or as high, than some of the universities in your list.

So where did you pull your list from?

I created my list based on my perceptions as an international student, and I consulted all of the UK newspaper league tables along with world ranking sites.

You're right that I do not value the likes of Durham, Warwick or Bath the way that I do the universities in more prominent international cities but I have a reason for this. From my understanding of the public university systems in place in the UK and Canada, universities in larger thriving communities manage to raise more funding for research and expansion. While Oxford and Cambridge certainly will continue to prosper I do not see other universities in small communities like Durham, Warwick or Bath continuing to grow, rather I suspect each of the institutions will run into substantial financial trouble in the coming years. These are institutions with limited potential for expansion and few people have heard of them outside of the UK, I had to put the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester above them. Add to this that the Golden Triangle of universities which are historically the most prestigious English universities and St. Andrews which has established itself with the English elites and there you have my table.

Highest total research income for British universities (2010/11)
University Research income (£,000)
1 University of Oxford 376,700
2 Imperial College London 299,200
3 University of Cambridge 283,700
4 University College London 283,383a
5 University of Manchester 196,242
6 University of Edinburgh 180,990
7 King's College London 147,099
8 University of Glasgow 128,047
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Okupator
Go and look at world rankings such as QS rankings, in order to get a better picture, because they rank unis on the basis of citations, international outlook, teaching, research and inovation and reputation with employera..while domestic rankings concentrate on the feedback of current students and how satisfied they are, and many unis force theyr students to fill these out. Manchester for example does not, and therefore it does not do too well on domestic rankings.

It isn't because Manchester doesn't force students to fill in the surveys. Students do, they just invariably give it a modest write up.

This isn't unique to Manchester but is seen across many large universities where students are dissatisfied with large class sizes, limited contact time and limited feedback.

And student satisfaction isn't the only the criteria used in domestic tables, as they also considering things such as research, but it is given a reasonably weighting.
Original post by jnkesd
I created my list based on my perceptions as an international student, and I consulted all of the UK newspaper league tables along with world ranking sites.

You're right that I do not value the likes of Durham, Warwick or Bath the way that I do the universities in more prominent international cities but I have a reason for this. From my understanding of the public university systems in place in the UK and Canada, universities in larger thriving communities manage to raise more funding for research and expansion. While Oxford and Cambridge certainly will continue to prosper I do not see other universities in small communities like Durham, Warwick or Bath continuing to grow, rather I suspect each of the institutions will run into substantial financial trouble in the coming years. These are institutions with limited potential for expansion and few people have heard of them outside of the UK, I had to put the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester above them. Add to this that the Golden Triangle of universities which are historically the most prestigious English universities and St. Andrews which has established itself with the English elites and there you have my table.

Whilst I don't know much about Warwick or Bath, Durham is the 3rd oldest university in England and actually is described as a 'public research university'. They recently added Queen's Campus in Stockton which was a very significant expansion. Durham has a collegiate structure similar to that of Oxford and Cambridge. Durham is one of the most important historic towns, whereas industrial cities like those you've mentioned only really began to thrive in Victorian times. Yes, they are bigger cities, which are well known outside of the UK, but I think it's impossible to argue that being a bigger city makes their university more prestigious than one of the original universities of the country.
Reply 23
Original post by jnkesd

You're right that I do not value the likes of Durham, Warwick or Bath the way that I do the universities in more prominent international cities but I have a reason for this. From my understanding of the public university systems in place in the UK and Canada, universities in larger thriving communities manage to raise more funding for research and expansion.

Erm, not really.

The amount of research money they get is partly determined by their research output. The universities in larger cities also tend to be larger universities, often with medical schools. This is why.

You do realise that LSE has the smallest research income of all Russell Group universities (it certainly did before the recent expansion of the Russell Group). LSE is a social science institution, which doesn't attract as much funding as the sciences. But does this mean it's in financial trouble and can't expand?

While Oxford and Cambridge certainly will continue to prosper I do not see other universities in small communities like Durham, Warwick or Bath continuing to grow, rather I suspect each of the institutions will run into substantial financial trouble in the coming years.

:rofl: Oh dear.

Sorry, but you have no idea who university funding works.

These universities are not in financial trouble, no more than larger universities, and can (and are) "expanding".
(edited 11 years ago)
Ridiculous thread.

What does prestige matter? Or even mean, in relation to universities?

Funny thing is, Warwick and Durham kill half of those names on that list.
Reply 25
Any idea whats better for accounting and finance? Durham or bristol?
Depends on what subject
Reply 27
Original post by River85
Erm, not really.

The amount of research money they get is partly determined by their research output. The universities in larger cities also tend to be larger universities, often with medical schools. This is why.

You do realise that LSE has the smallest research income of all Russell Group universities (it certainly did before the recent expansion of the Russell Group). LSE is a social science institution, which doesn't attract as much funding as the sciences. But does this mean it's in financial trouble and can't expand?

:rofl: Oh dear.

Sorry, but you have no idea who university funding works. You're clueless and I just can't be arsed any more.

These universities are not in financial trouble, no more than larger universities, and can (and are) "expanding".

That's all I have to say about this utterly absurd thread.

I didn't set this thread up because I'm some sort of expert on university funding, and yes in some areas I am clueless like we all are, I was just trying to see what people's personal opinions were on the most prestigious universities in the UK. Instead I got a bunch of people who are unwilling to participate in the thread in how it was intended and are only interested in attacking my personal opinions which I will admit are sometimes misguided. When my beliefs are under attack I have to defend them until I either accept that I am wrong or I prove that I am right. In this case I feel that there is nothing wrong with either my rankings or the premise of this thread, so I choose to try and defend what I've already posted.

I would be willing to bet you or anyone on this board that in 10 years time the 10 universities I have selected will be the 10 best universities in the United Kingdom, and I'm not just talking about prestige.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Charlotte49
Whilst I don't know much about Warwick or Bath, Durham is the 3rd oldest university in England and actually is described as a 'public research university'. They recently added Queen's Campus in Stockton which was a very significant expansion. Durham has a collegiate structure similar to that of Oxford and Cambridge. Durham is one of the most important historic towns, whereas industrial cities like those you've mentioned only really began to thrive in Victorian times. Yes, they are bigger cities, which are well known outside of the UK, but I think it's impossible to argue that being a bigger city makes their university more prestigious than one of the original universities of the country.

Well that's why I'm in the process of applying to Durham, it doesn't mean I think it's a top 10 university tho. They probably don't want me there anyway.
Reply 29
Original post by jnkesd

I would be willing to bet you or anyone on this board that in 10 years time the 10 universities I have selected will be the 10 best universities in the United Kingdom, and I'm not just talking about prestige.

And what on earth what makes you say this?

For a start there is not now, nor will there likely ever be, a definitive "top ten" best universities in the United Kingdom. Universities are big, complex things with different strengths and weakness'. It's not possible to select a top five/ten/twenty. All of the Russell Group multi-faculty universities are arguably of a broadly comparable standard. Oxford and Cambridge the exceptions.

Even if you mean the top 10 in league tables, this ignores the simple fact that the league tables vary, often considerably. Moreover, neither of us can predict the future or even know what criteria are going to be used in the league tables in ten years time. Even if the same criteria are used, we can't accurately predict how universities will perform. Student satisfaction is currently used in league tables, have you seen Manchester's student satisfaction score? What makes you think this will get better, and the scores at Durham and Bath will get significantly worse?

I'm willing to bet 10k (and adjust this for inflation accordingly in 10 years time) :hat2:

Given that you admit you're ignorant of UK universities and funding, how can you be so confident?

And if this thread, which has limited discussional value and has been done a million times before, continues in this same vein (with people "attacking you") I will close it. Please do a forum search if you really want to know peoples opinions.

However, personal experience tells me that, in the last three or so years, it goes something like this: -

Oxford, Cambridge
UCL
Warwick, Durham, St Andrews

Plus Imperial and LSE.

Then any of

Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter, Bath, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds, Sheffield, KCL plus probably one or two others I've forgotten.

As for your comment that universities in smaller cities (and Coventry is not a particularly small city, by the way) cannot easily expand, what do you mean by this?
(edited 11 years ago)
1. University of Cambridge
2. University of Oxford
3. Imperial College London
4. London School of Economics
5. University College London
6. University of St. Andrews
7. University of Durham
8. King's College London
9. University of Bristol
10. University of Edinburgh
King's should definitely be above St.Andrews
Reply 32
Unis with the best students doesn't really mean prestigious, but if you're interested in that pointless ivy league tag then: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8635891/Top-students-concentrated-in-just-12-elite-universities.html

Manchester, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton.

I think prestige comes from age of university, citations, quality of teaching etc.
Original post by fnm
Unis with the best students doesn't really mean prestigious, but if you're interested in that pointless ivy league tag then: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8635891/Top-students-concentrated-in-just-12-elite-universities.html

Manchester, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton.

That's pretty well as misleadingly written an article as I've ever seen, this for the disingenuous equivocating between brute numbers and proportions that seems to have taken you in as it will have done many others.

There's a reason for which Sheffield takes more students with AAB than does the LSE or Imperial, and that reason is that its first year cohort is several times as large. It cannot be extrapolated from this that it is one of an elite group of 12 bagging the best students.

It is suggested here only that these 12 large universities take half of the students achieving AAB or more while "...the rest are shared between 145 other institutions". My aunt fanny. I'd be frankly astonished if they are sensibly shared between more than 30 others.

Original post by fnm

I think prestige comes from age of university, citations, quality of teaching etc.

Most people have no notion of how many citations a university is generating, still less of the quality of the journals in which these appear. I think most academics couldn't confidently guess at this for their own universities, though they could likely do it for their departments. The age of a university is incidental detail and plainly should have nothing to do with it (and see Caltech, UC Davis, and Stanford for compelling counter example). Quality of teaching is little weighted in most surveys, sad to report.
Strange. 2 years ago and we'd be into 10 pages by now

Good to see the Warwick obsession hasn't gone away.
Reply 35
Original post by River85
It is the person who ultimately gets the job, based on their abilities and work experience. University name is typically of little to no importance, though there are obviously exceptions.

Prestige is abstract and to some extent subjective.

For example, didn't you once say that Warwick isn't well known outside the UK? Strange, then, that most of the international students obsessed with prestige and recognition of UK universities overseas actually place Warwick as

Any major employer will be aware of all universities in the country, particularly Russell Group universities. In fact, some of the largest, most targeted universities in the country are not in your list.

In fact, in global employer reviews universities universities such as Durham, Warwick and Bath are higher, or as high, than some of the universities in your list.

So where did you pull your list from?

This is a load of balls.

Durham and Bath are unheard of outside of the UK. Warwick in western Europe, I agree. The only world brands we have are Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and possibly UCL and Edinburgh to some degree.

In other news, the OP did not say prestige mattered, the OP only asked for your opinion on their ranking. So many people here have not read the thread correctly.
It's funny that these discussions about prestige are always based on the subjective consensus of a bunch of people who mostly don't have jobs and almost entirely are not responsible for employing people, or on the various league tables from newspapers.

I've never seen anyone either put together a cogent argument that it's inevitable that employers would have graded university preferences or shown statements from employers demonstrating that they do.
Reply 37
I wish users who start threads like these would get an automatic ban :moon:

FYI, OP, your opinion means **** all. Have a nice day
Original post by MancStudent098

I've never seen anyone either put together a cogent argument that it's inevitable that employers would have graded university preferences or shown statements from employers demonstrating that they do.

Employers certainly do this. However their grading system is very much less fine-grained than is supposed here and amounts to bunching 140 odd universities into 4 or 5 groups that we can most of us likely guess at.

You're dead right that it is a total nonsense when people on here ask whether their employment prospects will be better served by going to Nottingham or Bristol or whatever it is. It is as well a bit misguided when people try to ride trends in the table "I see Exeter is up 4 places" - the employers' notions of where's hot and not were fixed in about 1988, which is when they were applying to university.
Original post by River85

Oxford, Cambridge
UCL
Warwick, Durham, St Andrews

Plus Imperial and LSE.

Then any of

Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter, Bath, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds, Sheffield, KCL plus probably one or two others I've forgotten.

As for your comment that universities in smaller cities (and Coventry is not a particularly small city, by the way) cannot easily expand, what do you mean by this?

What makes you place UCL higher than any other multi-faculty RG uni's?

Prestige is misplaced because some uni's are leading in certain departments, such as Southampton in Engineering.

Latest

Trending

Trending