The Student Room Group

AQA AS History Tsarist Russia Jan 2013

Haven't seen anyone talking about this exam so I thought I'd see if there's anyone else out there revising for it!

Does anyone know what came up in May/June 2012? I know for Alexander II they seem to alternate between reforms/opposition, and that they like questions about the Provisional Government. It'd be interesting to see (and form conspiracy theories about what might come up of course) :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Totally irrelevant but I took that exam in 2009. Got a U. :L
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Original post by TheBookOwl
Haven't seen anyone talking about this exam so I thought I'd see if there's anyone else out there revising for it!

Does anyone know what came up in May/June 2012? I know for Alexander II they seem to alternate between reforms/opposition, and that they like questions about the Provisional Government. It'd be interesting to see (and form conspiracy theories about what might come up of course) :tongue:

Reforms, provisional government and fundamental laws came up in June 2012! I'm taking this exam tomorrow and I literally know nothing, woops
Reply 4
Original post by Avolil
Totally irrelevant but I took that exam in 2009. Got a U. :L

Oh brilliant. I will probably get a U aswell tbh. History is so hard :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by lucyxxx
Oh brilliant. I will probably get a U aswell tbh. History is so hard :frown:

You might not! Tbf I got D in History GCSE and for some ridiculous reason decided I wanted to do it at A level as well. Safe to say I dropped it after first year.

I'm sure you'll do fine, just make sure you know your stuff!
I'd try and search out my old notes or something but I'm pretty sure I burnt them. They were tainted with failure. :L
Reply 6
I got a B im just retaking tomorrow
this are my predictions: industrialization, agriculture, opposition and reaction and february 1917 revolution
im on edexcel and have the russia exam tomorrow, do you think the predictions will be similar? also why do you predict those subjects, because of last years?
Reply 8
In June 2012 the Feb 1917 revolution came up and Trotsky's leadership of the red army

Stalin's Rise to power and Collectivisation came up.

Jan 2012 had the provisional government and the 1905 revolution

Stalin's Five year plans and and WW2 came up then.

I'm betting the civil war & purges :smile:

Good luck
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by concentration
im on edexcel and have the russia exam tomorrow, do you think the predictions will be similar? also why do you predict those subjects, because of last years?

i do AQA not edexcel sorry.
Reply 10
Original post by MatteoG
In June 2012 the Feb 1917 revolution came up and Trotsky's leadership of the red army

Stalin's Rise to power and Collectivisation came up.

Jan 2012 had the provisional government and the 1905 revolution

Stalin's Five year plans and and WW2 came up then.

I'm betting the civil war & purges :smile:

Good luck

I think you should check for an edexcel thread because this is a bit different but you can pick similar points from this thread but i dont advise such because its best to work with your board's scheme of work. Goodluck
I'm sitting this exam for the first time a little bit worried that industrialisation and opposition might come up as I find those quite tricky to get my head round. They seem to be quite keen on reforms for question 1, question 2 opposition seems to be popular and duma/manifesto stuff, and question 3 the provisional government has only not come up once. I really have no idea what will come up though :/
Reply 12
Original post by emily.jarvis93
I'm sitting this exam for the first time a little bit worried that industrialisation and opposition might come up as I find those quite tricky to get my head round. They seem to be quite keen on reforms for question 1, question 2 opposition seems to be popular and duma/manifesto stuff, and question 3 the provisional government has only not come up once. I really have no idea what will come up though :/

I hope provisional government comes up cause thats the only thing I know. I like reforms aswell, I'm just hoping opposition doesn't come up!
Reply 13
Original post by dlabz
I think you should check for an edexcel thread because this is a bit different but you can pick similar points from this thread but i dont advise such because its best to work with your board's scheme of work. Goodluck

Just misread, the title, didn't realise AQA did a similar course. Good luck anyway.
Original post by lucyxxx
I hope provisional government comes up cause thats the only thing I know. I like reforms aswell, I'm just hoping opposition doesn't come up!

Same! It really confuses me, what are you feelings about Witte and industrialisation because I have a feeling it's going to come up for some reason haha and I hate it it really confuses me!
Reply 15
Same! It really confuses me, what are you feelings about Witte and industrialisation because I have a feeling it's going to come up for some reason haha and I hate it it really confuses me!

Witte and industrialisation hasn't came up since Jan 10 so that is a really good possibility!! What are you revising?
Original post by lucyxxx
Witte and industrialisation hasn't came up since Jan 10 so that is a really good possibility!! What are you revising?

Everything :/ I'm trying to focus on stuff I don't know that well but Witte stuff just confused me and makes me stress out so if there's a question on it I'll try and avoid it if I can. Knowing my luck oppoisition will be the first question and Witte will be the second question haha
Reply 17
tips from someone that got a B(i know you would rather take from an A-grade student, but history isnt that easy):redface: :
i have made my predictions above however these are tips i have learnt from experience:
-work with the time VERYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! important
-plan your work 12marker (2minutes of planning 10 minutes of writing) 24marker (3minutes of planning 20 minutes of writing) The rest of the minutes use to check your work
-always try to make you introduction stand out with what you aim to discuss further in the essay
- always know there's always a counterargument needed or would i say for history other factors than the one presented in the question.
-it might sound very stupid but answer the question look out for words like "modernise, transform, improve, cause, affect, main" you can easily be misled :smile:
Goodluck everyone hope it helps!
Reply 18
I did the exam in June, but I'm resitting to hopefully get the A I need for university. Opposition to Alexander II was one of the questions, the other two 24 mark ones were on stability and the importance of Lenin in the October revolution which I did. It was mainly the 12 mark questions which were harder on was on why did Nicholas issue the fundamental laws an why did the provisional government keep Russia in the war.
The provisional government seems to come up a lot so hopefully it does, I think the February revolution will probably come up. There nearly always seems to be one about either the reforms or opposition to Alexander II.
I just hope the examiners are nice!
Reply 19

I have the same feeling about Witte :s-smilie: revising a list of facts about coal and factories and stuff to make myself sound like I know what I'm talking about! If I had to guess based on what everyone's said, I think maybe opposition, industry, Feb. Revolution? That would be a nice set of questions. Which of course means none of that will now come up...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending