The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Looking for a Chinese language partner

My name is Thomas & last month I returned from a 3.5 month trip around China. Now I am back in the UK I am keen on advancing my mandarin skills. As part of this effort I am soon to start mandarin lessons with a Chinese tutor. However, I am keen to do more and as such am searching for a possible language partner.

As my mandarin skills are still at a beginner level, I am looking for a partner that already has a fairly decent level of English. The idea being that you can help me practice my mandarin whilst I can help you practice your English.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in then please drop a reply in this thread.

Thomas.
[INDENT]My name is Thomas & last month I returned from a 3.5 month trip around China. Now I am back in the UK I am keen on advancing my mandarin skills. As part of this effort I am soon to start mandarin lessons with a Chinese tutor. However, I am keen to do more and as such am searching for a possible language partner.

As my mandarin skills are still at a beginner level, I am looking for a partner that already has a fairly decent level of English. The idea being that you can help me practice my mandarin whilst I can help you practice your English.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in then please drop a reply in this thread.

Thomas.
[/INDENT]

Hi Thomas,

We have a large proportion of Chinese students and Mandarin speakers studying here at UEA. The INTO centre on campus, which is a preparatory centre for international students, is often promoting further language intergration and so I am sure there will be someone in a similar situation. The Dean of Students, staff, lecturers and the students union can easily put you in contact with someone who could help. For example the language buddy scheme by the International Student Advisory Team http://www.uea.ac.uk/services/students/international/languagebuddy.

Further to this, students do put notices up around campus advertising for a language buddy, often you can help someone with their English in exchange for your help with their language (there are usually found on the noticeboards at INTO or in the Language School in the Arts 2 building.

Finally, I already understand you are to be tutored, but the University does offer evening classes in Mandarin Chinese (amongst many other languages) found here http://www.uea.ac.uk/lcs/evening-classes. It might be worth e-mailing [email protected] explaining your situation, as they may well know some students who wish for additional language help.

Sorry if this is repeating things you already know, I hope it helps!

Tim
(edited 11 years ago)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. I have already emailed the INTO centre to see if they could help me out, but they said that unfortunately they cannot. I think as I am not a student at UEA that makes somewhat of a difference.

I didn't know about the language buddy scheme though, so I will try going down that avenue to see if I get any luck.

As for the language courses, this was the first option I wanted to go for, but unfortunately the beginners 2 Chinese language course was under subscribed & so the course isn't running.

Many thanks again for the help & if you have any over suggestions that you can think of then it would be very much appreciated!

Thomas.
Original post by Carnez85
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. I have already emailed the INTO centre to see if they could help me out, but they said that unfortunately they cannot. I think as I am not a student at UEA that makes somewhat of a difference.

I didn't know about the language buddy scheme though, so I will try going down that avenue to see if I get any luck.

As for the language courses, this was the first option I wanted to go for, but unfortunately the beginners 2 Chinese language course was under subscribed & so the course isn't running.

Many thanks again for the help & if you have any over suggestions that you can think of then it would be very much appreciated!

Thomas.

Sorry Thomas I didn't realise you weren't a current student at UEA. I have noticed in the past that people often use the website Gumtree to advertise for a language partner in their local area, the other option would be to have a look at the INTO Facebook page and see if you can get in contact with students via that. http://www.facebook.com/#!/INTOUEA?fref=ts

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending