The Student Room Group

AMES (Chinese Studies) at Cambridge Interview

People studying Chinese Studies at Cambridge: Could you share your experience in your interview? I just got accepted for an interview. I was told that I might be assessed on my Chinese knowledge because I have passed HSK4. Should I be worried if my Chinese is not at a very high level? Also, what type of questions should I expect. How much research on the course and professors should I do? Any other advice should be appreciated.
Original post by OMDawg88
People studying Chinese Studies at Cambridge: Could you share your experience in your interview? I just got accepted for an interview. I was told that I might be assessed on my Chinese knowledge because I have passed HSK4. Should I be worried if my Chinese is not at a very high level? Also, what type of questions should I expect. How much research on the course and professors should I do? Any other advice should be appreciated.

I believe the assessment will just be as they have two routes through the course depending on your Chinese language proficiency and so they probably just want to get an idea of which one you'd end up on. One of the two routes is for beginners and assumes no background (this is the more common route I gather).
Original post by OMDawg88

You're expected to have some knowledge of your first year papers. 🙂
The above is not true for many degrees at Cambridge. Most AMES languages expect no background in that language and are taught from scratch and they state this explicitly in multiple places on their webpages.
Original post by artful_lounger
The above is not true for many degrees at Cambridge. Most AMES languages expect no background in that language and are taught from scratch and they state this explicitly in multiple places on their webpages.

It says on the webpage: "Your admissions interviewers will be suitably impressed by the fact that you have done some useful reading prior to the interview."

Preparatory Reading - Chinese | Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (cam.ac.uk)
The OP is asking about their Chinese language proficiency, not wider reading...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending