The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
for the sketch the graph question, I drew it on the graph instead of sketching it in the space... will I get any marks? :frown:
for the first question I factorised it to -x, will I get any marks?
Original post by Instincts_2012
Please answer someone! Arsey/M/Ghost or anyone!

I'm pretty sure you'd still get full marks for 10)a), because you've put it in the format that they initially stated.

As for 11)c), I wouldn't hold your breath for more than 1 mark, 2 if you're lucky. That's as far as I got too, but only because I didn't notice question 11 until 5 minutes before the end. :frown:
Original post by KhawlaM
Does anyone know if we are allowed to draw the graph in pencil? Please tell! I drew it in pencil, and I did some of my working in pencil, does it matter?! It doesn't say in the instruction! I'm so worried :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done my whole maths exam in pencil before by accident so don't worry it shouldn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly the paper wasn't really hard compared to before (although those asymtope questions are annoying lol) but what do you guys really think the grade boundries were?
Well I reckon I'll be really pushing the A-grade boundary after looking at the mark scheme. :emo:
This was supposed to be the easiest exam too :sigh:

If 59 is an A, as Arsey predicts, I think I may have just missed it.

A question (would be grateful for answer):
For 8), did I have to state the full equation? Would I lose a mark for not doing so? (Ikr, I forgot to do that :colondollar:)
Well I realised that my chance to get a solid A and high UMS score had gone straight out the window half way through this paper. It was horrible :/
IMO the paper was 'fair'
Whenever a cohort has just sat an exam many will come out and believe it's the hardest paper they have ever done. The pressure is the most they have ever hard hence the paper seems very hard.
When this paper is slotted into the past papers in years to come it will not be seen as easy but it will not be seen as a killer.
I believe the paper will suit middle/higher ability students who can side step rather than one that seems to be very 'middle of the text book'
The solomon worksheets (not exam papers) do a lot of work on questions like that in number 2. The Edexcel book less.
Question 1 was a difference of squares yet most examples will be a positive x^2 terms.
Its these little quirks that may not be enjoyed by less able students.
On the flip there were some very straightforward marks to pick up.
Coordinate geometry can often be a killer and that was not the case here.
The arithmetic sequence question was nicely structured and the first 5 marks (despite by wordy) should be achievable for 'most' students.
My concern comes with the 'n' lots of dragons which again is not a text book style question.
Overall when the dust settles there were some more quirky uses of topics but they did not account for a large number of marks and potentially tricky topics were not exploited.
Overall 59/60 seems about right and I wouldn't be suprised to see 74/75 to be 100UMS.
People may not wish to hear such an account and I know the feeling just after an exam but studying the paper objectively as a teacher it could have been a lot nastier.
what minimum raw mark would you need to get 90 ums or over?
Reply 128
Original post by Katherine0x
I've done my whole maths exam in pencil before by accident so don't worry it shouldn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you soo much! <3 ❤❤, that really helped, you saved me,:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by KhawlaM
What is UMS?😶

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is uniform mark scheme which converts the raw mark oh of 75 to a ums score out of 100 based on the paper difficulty.
Original post by HoratioMG
I'm pretty sure you'd still get full marks for 10)a), because you've put it in the format that they initially stated.

As for 11)c), I wouldn't hold your breath for more than 1 mark, 2 if you're lucky. That's as far as I got too, but only because I didn't notice question 11 until 5 minutes before the end. :frown:

I know right? Didn't expect 11 Questions. After Question 10, I ate a banana, drank some water. Checked my work. Checked it again, and BAM. A wild Question 11 appears!

How well do you think you did overall? Was there any question you couldn't do?
Reply 131
Original post by m4ths/maths247
IMO the paper was 'fair'
Whenever a cohort has just sat an exam many will come out and believe it's the hardest paper they have ever done. The pressure is the most they have ever hard hence the paper seems very hard.
When this paper is slotted into the past papers in years to come it will not be seen as easy but it will not be seen as a killer.
I believe the paper will suit middle/higher ability students who can side step rather than one that seems to be very 'middle of the text book'
The solomon worksheets (not exam papers) do a lot of work on questions like that in number 2. The Edexcel book less.
Question 1 was a difference of squares yet most examples will be a positive x^2 terms.
The arithmetic sequence question was nicely structured and the first 5 marks (despite by wordy) should be achievable for 'most' students.
My concern comes with the 'n' lots of dragons which again is not a text book style question.
Overall when the dust settles there were some more quirky uses of topics but they did not account for a large number of marks and potentially tricky topics were not exploited.
Overall 59/60 seems about right and I wouldn't be suprised to see 74/75 to be 100UMS.
People may not wish to hear such an account and I know the feeling just after an exam but studying the paper objectively as a teacher it could have been a lot nastier.

I definitely agree with you, It wasn't a killer, I think it was a fair paper, and when I did the june 2012 past paper I thought it wasn't much different in difficulty, I think I scored around 73/75 in this paper, I think i lost mark on question 2 as i didn't state the last part of y in terms of x as I thought it was only 2 marks, and finally i lost a mark for the arithmetic sequence c question i had an equation N(1000)=17000 but for some reason I gave 8.5 as the answer and not 17, I probably looked at the wrong part and divided 1000 into 8500, not so bad though, and no other marks lost for me on any other questions. As for C2, I thought it was too easy, which is a shame as It will drag boundaries way up, I got 74/75 in that. Economics paper today was fairly tough on the other hand, hoping I just managed to scrape an A
Reply 132
For 11 part b, I calculated dy/dx correctly, but then put it incorrectly into the y-y1=m(x-x1)
Du thinks that will lose 1 or 2 marks?
I think 74/75 for 100,as although the fm people found it easy, the normal maths people found it hard
Original post by Qmakz
I definitely agree with you, It wasn't a killer, I think it was a fair paper, and when I did the june 2012 past paper I thought it wasn't much different in difficulty, I think I scored around 73/75 in this paper, I think i lost mark on question 2 as i didn't state the last part of y in terms of x as I thought it was only 2 marks, and finally i lost a mark for the arithmetic sequence c question i had an equation N(1000)=17000 but for some reason I gave 8.5 as the answer and not 17, I probably looked at the wrong part and divided 1000 into 8500, not so bad though, and no other marks lost for me on any other questions. As for C2, I thought it was too easy, which is a shame as It will drag boundaries way up, I got 74/75 in that. Economics paper today was fairly tough on the other hand, hoping I just managed to scrape an A

Well done. Its annoying to drop marks but thats life. Heck I still do it all the time even when teaching!
Good unis will not be fussed if you have 96UMS or 100UMS to be honest. I appreciate though its personal pride that drives us to max marks.
I agree on the easy papers. I haven't gone through C2 yet but an easy paper doesn't favour strong candidates and one slip and 10+ UMS can go down the pan.
C2 May 2012 was the same. Very 'middle of the textbook exercises' which is fine for less able students but doesn't differentiate for the top few %.
Original post by Instincts_2012
I know right? Didn't expect 11 Questions. After Question 10, I ate a banana, drank some water. Checked my work. Checked it again, and BAM. A wild Question 11 appears!

How well do you think you did overall? Was there any question you couldn't do?

Indeed, the horrible feeling of panic set in quickly and stopped me from making any significant progress with it.

Well, when I first opened the paper, I thought I wasn't going to be able to answer the first 2, but eventually I got through it, and think I might have picked up somewhere around 65-68/75. How about you?
Reply 135
Original post by usycool1
No, 69/75 would never get 100UMS, I'm afraid :frown: Still, it's a pretty damn good score :yep:

What UMS would 65-67 get you? I'm hoping for 95+.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by Tuya
It is uniform mark scheme which converts the raw mark oh of 75 to a ums score out of 100 based on the paper difficulty.

Oh, I got it, thank you! Our teacher never mentioned that, so I felt somehow lost 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
69/75... Did okay. Got the arithmetic sequence question about dragons wrong, and in the integration question I was meant to add (5/4) but I subtracted (5/4) - a stupid mistake. How many UMS do you think this raw mark would be?
Reply 138
Original post by Malawi
What UMS would 65-67 get you? I'm hoping for 95+.

Look at the thread with all the past boundaries I have put together

Session 100' 90' 80' 70' 60' 50' 40'
Jan-05 75 68 60 52 44 37 30
Jun-05 75 68 60 52 44 36 29
Jan-06 75 68 60 52 44 37 30
Jun-06 75 68 60 52 44 37 30
Jan-07 75 68 61 53 45 37 29
Jun-07 75 68 60 52 44 37 30
Jan-08 75 69 62 53 44 36 28
Jun-08 75 69 62 53 44 36 28
Jan-09 75 67 59 51 43 35 27
Jun-09 71 63 55 47 39 31 23
Jan-10 75 69 63 54 46 38 30
Jun-10 73 66 59 52 45 38 31
Jan-11 75 69 62 53 44 35 27

I would guess at 59 for an A then gaps of 8So 67 would be 90ums I very much doubt you will get anywhere near 95+ for 65, absolute best case would be 90 ums.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by m4ths/maths247
IMO the paper was 'fair'

This, I had no idea that you could use the (a+L) equation because of that. There goes 5 marks :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending