The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

footballhead
How does this fare for i-banking? I've heard its much better than the russell group unis in britain for getting into ib? Althoguh they do offer the BESS course i am talking more about an arts degree like political sciences and history.

Being better than the Russell Group would put it above Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial....very very unlikely I think. :rolleyes:

It's certainly rated well by virtue of it being probably the best university in Ireland. You would certainly be in contention to get in to IB.
Reply 2
sorry i meant after imperial lse oxbridge you are in better chance of a job than bristol durham warwick ?
footballhead
sorry i meant after imperial lse oxbridge you are in better chance of a job than bristol durham warwick ?

I don't know if it will be better than the 3 you mentioned, certainly not above Warwick maths/economics I would think. I would say you're on par with bristol/durham...with good academics/extra curriculars you'd have a decent chance.
I think it is good enough.

After all, while UoD and as such TCD aren't international superstar places, they represent most of the cream of what there is in a country, so are worth a read.
President_Ben
I think it is good enough.

After all, while UoD and as such TCD aren't international superstar places, they represent most of the cream of what there is in a country, so are worth a read.

Trinity does not represent the cream of the country, I know alot of people, myself included, who could have gone to trinity but chose not to. The hardest part of the decision was knowing people in other countries thought trinity was better for no good reason.

If someone does want to go to Trinity them Bess is probably the way to go, but there is a Bess 'type'. I put Bess down as my third choice on my CAO form, and be warned, Dublin isn't that nice a place.
roxy potter
...... and be warned, Dublin isn't that nice a place.

Sounds like the jealous smear of somebody who didn’t get into Trinity or UCD :-)

In response to the original poster, I'm in Trinity and while I wouldn’t put it in the same league as Oxford or Cambridge, by Irish standards it’s the best. It has the highest entry requirements of any Irish Uni and comes on top of the dodgy league tables that the Sunday Times makes from time to time! My own biased opinion tells me it would be high up compared to British universities. President Ben’s comments are pretty accurate (though we are the only college in the UoD!).

Reply 7
I go to UCD and I got 580 in the leaving Cert. I could have easily gone to any course in trinity. The reason I didn’t was because I didn’t want to have to share my time with know-it-alls who have pathetic superior complexes like the previous poster.

I will admit that the average trinity student has higher leaving cert points but to claim that trinity represents the cream of Irish students is a ridiculous statement. The top 200 students in UCD, UCC and maybe UCG would easily match the top 200 in trinity. And employers recognize this; proved by the fact that many UCD students enter graduate programs in the UK.The days of trinity attracting Ireland's best are long since over I am afraid.
Reply 8
Jameo
I go to UCD and I got 580 in the leaving Cert. I could have easily gone to any course in trinity. The reason I didn’t was because I didn’t want to have to share my time with know-it-alls who have pathetic superior complexes like the previous poster.

I will admit that the average trinity student has higher leaving cert points but to claim that trinity represents the cream of Irish students is a ridiculous statement. The top 200 students in UCD, UCC and maybe UCG would easily match the top 200 in trinity. And employers recognize this; proved by the fact that many UCD students enter graduate programs in the UK.The days of trinity attracting Ireland's best are long since over I am afraid.

Just to add that I know several people who went to UCC who are now working at BB's. Very nice place it is to having been there last Easter!
Reply 9
whats BB's??
Reply 10
footballhead
whats BB's??

I think he means Bulge Bracket IBs, ie. the real playas out there like GS.
Reply 11
Johan C
I think he means Bulge Bracket IBs, ie. the real playas out there like GS.

Yep the top three American banks, GS, MS and ML are generally considered the top BB's with others like UBS, JPM and Citi also sometimes being categorised the same way.
Reply 12
kb500
Yep the top three American banks, GS, MS and ML are generally considered the top BB's with others like UBS, JPM and Citi also sometimes being categorised the same way.

*Starts raving about Merrill Lynch and how cool it seems*
Reply 13
Johan C
*Starts raving about Merrill Lynch and how cool it seems*

Yeah a friend of mine who's interning there this summer is similarly enthusiastic, what is your impression based on?
Jameo

Notice how I didn't say non-TCD students are all idiots, there are plenty of talented people in other Irish universities. But you said it yourself, the average student in Trinity does have higher points and it is logical to assume that that fact will somehow influence the reputation of the university. So take it easy!

Another thing I have noticed is that Trinity is the only Irish university that most foreigners know. I was shocked by the sheer lack of name recognition of other Irish universities by people abroad. That's not to say UCD/UCC/NUIG/DCU/etc. are bad, just that they don't have the same brand awareness outside Ireland. It probably has to do with the book of Kells more than anything!

What's a "pathetic superior complexes"? :biggrin: For the record I don’t think I’m superior to UCD students. It’s a good university and I doubt there is much difference in academics. But I would recommend TCD over UCD because we have a better student life and our campus isn’t a soviet looking throwback from the 60s :biggrin:

By the way you wouldn't have gotten into medicine in TCD this year :wink:
Reply 15
kb500
Yeah a friend of mine who's interning there this summer is similarly enthusiastic, what is your impression based on?

Ridiculously little. A few impressions made by their internet site, some articles... You know how sometimes you take to a company for some reason ? It's a bit like those who are fascinated by Google for rather emotional reasons. I just like the feel of the firm I've got for the moment, just attracts me more than JPM, Citi or even GS. I especially like the fact that it seems small and professional, unlike Citi (which isn't small at any rate) and not as ubiquitous as GS. Of course I may be completely misled. Care to develop on what your friend said ? I'm interested, and I'd like to have a good reason to want to work there :smile:
Reply 16
Johan C
Ridiculously little. A few impressions made by their internet site, some articles... You know how sometimes you take to a company for some reason ? It's a bit like those who are fascinated by Google for rather emotional reasons. I just like the feel of the firm I've got for the moment, just attracts me more than JPM, Citi or even GS. Of course I may be completely misled. Care to develop on what your friend said ? I'm interested, and I'd like to have a good reason to want to work there :smile:

Lol you miss out MS from that list at your peril :wink: Yeah I do know what you mean although I'm sure your perceptions will change whether favourably or not once you start interviewing with them. He basically was very impressed with the people there and also their general culture. Post internships when there is a greater insight I will elaborate if you like.
What kind of a chance would a law degree from UCC or TCD give me for getting into a bb for m&a ?
Reply 18
Just to mention, Queens Uni Belfast is a exceedingly better uni than trinity if your including northern ireland as well. It is higher up the world rankings for top universities by tens of places etc.
Reply 19
Juswonderin_90
What kind of a chance would a law degree from UCC or TCD give me for getting into a bb for m&a ?

I would say it would put you in with a chance, but you will have to work very hard. As mentioned botht the above are respected, however, they are not Oxbridge/Imperial/Lse therefore you will need to stand out somehow. Going to either of those definitely won't rule you out though!

Latest

Trending

Trending