The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths Tutor
BLATANT LIES by the Tories. Check it out at First Minister's Questions on 21st March 2013:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/newsandmediacentre/32362.aspx

I stopped listening to FMQ after he said he'd got legal advice from the EU.

Incidentally, you've forgotten about the LibDems in Government.

Anyway, I'll let you into a secret. I wasn't a huge fan of it before. It's not very interesting.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by stemitchell91
And yet, for all the years that the Scottish parliament has existed, such a thing hasn't been done. Those evil Englishmen, letting us keep our parliament.

Do some research on the amendments to the Scotland Act that were proposed by the House of Lords.

And yet the SNP seem determined not to answer any really important questions. You'd think that with the referendum date confirmed, we'd know what currency we'd be using as an independent state.

The SNP has stated NUMEROUS TIMES that an independent Scotland will continue to use the Pound Sterling.
Original post by MatureStudent36
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/11/contents/enacted

There's that for starters.

That's in black and white....... with some blue as well.

I'll take it with this line of questioning you're not really after seperation are you. You've been told to push the extra powers bit....Just in case.

Why don't YOU put it here in black and white what the 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis actually said and when.
Do some research on the amendments to the Scotland Act that were proposed by the House of Lords.

The SNP has stated NUMEROUS TIMES that an independent Scotland will continue to use the Pound Sterling.

We can use washers if we want to. Who's backing it though? You may want to get that cleared up first or those lovely finance jobs in Edinburgh will be re locating quite quickly.
Why don't YOU put it here in black and white what the 'Bitter Together' anti-Independence Axis actually said and when.

I don't care what they've said. I'm happy with the Status quo. I think it's the farest system.

However, it's not upto them to say tell me anything. The SNP are making wild statements based on nothing and asking me, and others to jeopordise our future.
The No camp seem to be giving those facts out, not assumptions......not we'll find out who's telling the truth after the event.

Your "myopic insular outlook" seems to be even worse than feared!

Those "facts" (or rather scaremongering) don't seem to be convincing the people of Scotland:

"Yes campaign gains ground in latest independence referendum poll"

"Support has grown by two points since January to 36% and opposition has fallen by one point to 46%, while 18% were undecided, according to the Panelbase poll for the Sunday Times and Real Radio."

http://news.stv.tv/politics/218797-yes-campaign-narrowing-poll-gap-in-independence-referendum-battle/
Your "myopic insular outlook" seems to be even worse than feared!

Those "facts" (or rather scaremongering) don't seem to be convincing the people of Scotland:

"Yes campaign gains ground in latest independence referendum poll"

"Support has grown by two points since January to 36% and opposition has fallen by one point to 46%, while 18% were undecided, according to the Panelbase poll for the Sunday Times and Real Radio."

http://news.stv.tv/politics/218797-yes-campaign-narrowing-poll-gap-in-independence-referendum-battle/

You've just repeated your post. It still doesn't get away from teh fact that it goes up and down and hovers at a 1/3.

Scotland_SPOMKT_IndyTrend_Feb13_lrg.jpg
That would indeed be wonderful, but again, the SNP don't seem interested in such a thing.

An example of an important question answered by the NO campaign but not by the YES campaign?
:smile:

My concern, and it is becoming a concern now from seeing the frothing their supporters are doing is what happens when they loose?

Maybe the troops should start preparing for a rebellion by the Scots?
An example of an important question answered by the NO campaign but not by the YES campaign?

Defence
Pensions
Currency
Renewables Investment
State Spending
R&D
Job Creation
Nuclear Decomissioning
Foreign Policy

The Yes Campaign have made a stab at these, but they've been rather vague to say the least.

You seem to forget, the onus is on teh Yes campaign to convince people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Maybe the troops should start preparing for a rebellion by the Scots?

No. I'm actually more worried about some wound up muppet who's never left Scotland with a victim complex hurting somebody to be honest.
Now, they're keyboard warriors with a belief that they represent that Scotlands Voice.

On average, how many hours per day do you spend posting comments on this blog, responding to almost every single comment? And how many more hours per day on other blogs?
On average, how many hours per day do you spend posting comments on this blog, responding to almost every single comment? And how many more hours per day on other blogs?

Just this one. It's on in the background when I'm doing my studying.

I just generally got unhappy with the Cut and Paste activities of a co ordinated minority of people trying give the impression that they're a majority.

I guess I'm on a one man mission to secure my future as I don't trust the lies that the Nationalists are coming out with.

I also got very concerned with the amount of Navel gazing going on in Scotland at the moment. We're getting too inward looking and it's getting worse......But then again that's what happens in economic downturns. Normal people knuckle down and carry on. The vocal Minority comes out to play though.

If you stop posting sh1te all of the time and use your mind instead of copying and pasting from an SNP website, I won't need to respond all of the time.

You still haven't shown me proof of the banned you tube clip.
(edited 11 years ago)
This is something I'm not sure of: can Scotland actually negotiate entry into the EU before it becomes independent? Or do we have to wait until Scotland actually "exists" as a separate state?

The EU has made it clear that it will give an answer if the UK government asks. The UK government is REFUSING TO ASK THE QUESTION. WHAT IS IT AFRAID OF?

The Scottish government has no power to ask the EU for a definitive answer.

BARROSO HAS NO POWER TO DECIDE. His 'theoretical' answer was spinned by the BBC. The BBC were also accused by both the Irish and Luxembourgish foreign ministers of misquoting them.

So it is totally hypocritical of the NO campaign to demand answers from the SNP when it is only the UK government that has the power to obtain an answer from the EU.

This is my answer to your question.

But before you can even respond, 'ImmatureStudent06' will have butted in with spin and falsehoods.
But you haven't. You kept going on a bout 16 year olds having the vote. I asked if the SNP will be aligning all age related matters so we will allow a 16 year old to drink, smoke and do jury service at 16?

You haven't answered anything.

You also have myopia in the real sense - you can't notice the difference between 'Midlander' and 'MatureStudent36'.

So pay a visit to the optician as well.
The EU has made it clear that it will give an answer if the UK government asks. The UK government is REFUSING TO ASK THE QUESTION. WHAT IS IT AFRAID OF? The UK Government is already in.

The Scottish government has no power to ask the EU for a definitive answer. Yet they claimed they had and wasted tax payers money hiding the lie.

BARROSO HAS NO POWER TO DECIDE. His 'theoretical' answer was spinned by the BBC. The BBC were also accused by both the Irish and Luxembourgish foreign ministers of misquoting them. No it wasn't spun. It was quite clear what was said.

So it is totally hypocritical of the NO campaign to demand answers from the SNP when it is only the UK government that has the power to obtain an answer from the EU. Again, the SNP has claimed they had the information.

This is my answer to your question.

But before you can even respond, 'ImmatureStudent06' will have butted in with spin and falsehoods. You must troll the Scotsman Comments site with teh other CyberNats. Attacking the person is never cool. It shows a flaw in your argument. Sadly, I've been called much worse so you can call me what you want to pussing.

:smile:
You also have myopia in the real sense - you can't notice the difference between 'Midlander' and 'MatureStudent36'.

So pay a visit to the optician as well.

You still haven't answered me though. I answer every one of your questions, but you make a statement and then don't defend it.

So what is it? Can we expect to see 16 year old drinking, Smoking, driving and doing Jury Service?
Thought I'd have a quick google of my own question, didn't really answer it but I did find this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9856083/Alistair-Darling-Scotland-faces-nine-year-wait-to-join-EU.html

I'm not sure if this has been brought up earlier (I'd hope that it has though), but apparently the average wait for EU applications to be successful is around 10 years. Scotland being an EU member from "day one" seems highly unlikely.

You are forgetting that Scotland is ALREADY a member of the EU, although at the moment as part of the UK.

All the laws and treaties for membership are already in place.

But of course as an independent nation of 5 million, it can't have the same membership rules as the UK with 60 million.

These matters will be discussed and agreed between 19th September 2014 and the actual date of independence, perhaps the date of the next UK election.

There are many experts who agree with the SNP position. Their names have been given by the First Minister at First Minister's questions on many occassions but the No campaign is quick to put scorn on anyone who goes against their scaremongering.

The EU was eager to get countries like Bulgaria and Romania to become members. Do you seriously believe that they would want to throw out Scotland and make it to re-apply and wait? Who would gain from that?
You are forgetting that Scotland is ALREADY a member of the EU, although at the moment as part of the UK.

All the laws and treaties for membership are already in place. It's all about the finances now post 2008. All about the finances.

But of course as an independent nation of 5 million, it can't have the same membership rules as the UK with 60 million.

These matters will be discussed and agreed between 19th September 2014 and the actual date of independence, perhaps the date of the next UK election. What's happening on the 18th? You're a bit sure of yourself.

There are many experts who agree with the SNP position. Their names have been given by the First Minister at First Minister's questions on many occassions but the No campaign is quick to put scorn on anyone who goes against their scaremongering. Actually, the SNP's experts on this aren't as expert as they should be. They've given opinions

The EU was eager to get countries like Bulgaria and Romania to become members. Do you seriously believe that they would want to throw out Scotland and make it to re-apply and wait? Who would gain from that?

That was Pre 2008 that those countries were let in. Take a look around at what's going on around Europe at the moment. I bet if they had their time again the EU wouldn't have let many of the current EU members in. I''m not saying we won't get in, I'm just worried about what we'll end up giving up to speed the process up. I'm also what say we'll have in Europe. 5 Million out of 500 Million is quite a small number. And we do have a very big say in what goes on in Europe now.

Are we lowering the age of drinking to 16?
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyway, I knwo Maths Tutor will say I'm Scaremongering. But I'm genereally happy with what we've got at the moment........ok things are crappy at the moment, but they're crappy everywhere so I'm not being hard done by.

Did you not claim that you had aspirations for Scotland?

That doesn't seem much like aspirations to me.

My aspiration is for a fairer and more equitable Scotland, with governments in tune with the aspirations and views of the people of Scotland, instead of rule from Westminster governments completely out of tune with the views of the people of Scotland.

(Don't give me any nonsense about Prime Ministers and Chancellors who were Scots - I am not discussing the ethnicity of those who rule from Westminster.)

Latest

Trending

Trending