The Student Room Group

dentistry

I have just recieved my ucat score and its terrible, i got 2370 band 3 and my gcses are 4 7's and 2'8/9 and the rest are 6's

My A level predicted is A* A A
Where do you guys recommend I apply to for dentistry

Btw for my sciences in Gcse i got
Biology - 6
Chemistry - 7
Physicis - 8

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by scrippo77
I have just recieved my ucat score and its terrible, i got 2370 band 3 and my gcses are 4 7's and 2'8/9 and the rest are 6's

My A level predicted is A* A A
Where do you guys recommend I apply to for dentistry

Btw for my sciences in Gcse i got
Biology - 6
Chemistry - 7
Physicis - 8

I was thinking whether the great @Mesopotamian. would know :biggrin:
Plymouth, Leeds, QUB, Dundee or Liverpool
Original post by hungrysalamander

Agree with this, although QUB is very risky and I’d probably not apply to that. Dundee is Scottish and have reduced places for this year so be aware of that.
You can also consider Sheffield and Glasgow depending on your GCSE breakdown. See this link https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Would glasgow be a good option, I meet all the entry requirements, just not sure if they look at the application holistically or like take into account the UCAT as much as other Unis

Original post by hungrysalamander
Reply 5
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Agree with this, although QUB is very risky and I’d probably not apply to that. Dundee is Scottish and have reduced places for this year so be aware of that.

Ahhh I see, yes also for Dundee I think my 6 in bio is not fit for the requirements, I go to a non-selective state school in greater london and do fit the eligibility of the KCL EDSP, would you recommend I apply to this?
Ahhh I see, yes also for Dundee I think my 6 in bio is not fit for the requirements, I go to a non-selective state school in greater london and do fit the eligibility of the KCL EDSP, would you recommend I apply to this?

No because KCL are holistic and would still require a high UCAT - you can apply, but it’s risky.
Reply 7
No because KCL are holistic and would still require a high UCAT - you can apply, but it’s risky.

Oh, :frown: this is so stressful, I have chosen Plymouth and Liverpool as options, I dont know which to put for the other two?
Oh, :frown: this is so stressful, I have chosen Plymouth and Liverpool as options, I dont know which to put for the other two?

Leeds is an option if you’re willing to sit the BMAT.
Reply 9
Leeds is an option if you’re willing to sit the BMAT.

Oh :frown:, not really willing to do that one. How about Glasgow, should I apply to that? I do have physical work experience to be noted, I understand that they used to require that pre COVID maybe its an advantage in my assesment? What do you think
Reply 10
Hey :smile: I checked, I meet the requirements for GLASGOW
You can also consider Sheffield and Glasgow depending on your GCSE breakdown. See this link https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requireSO
Oh :frown:, not really willing to do that one. How about Glasgow, should I apply to that? I do have physical work experience to be noted, I understand that they used to require that pre COVID maybe its an advantage in my assesment? What do you think

Glasgow is Scottish, so like all other Scottish universities, the spaces they have available for this year is significantly reduced. It’s a very risky option.

I don’t think having in-person W/E will make much of a difference because they need to make it fair for everyone.
Reply 12
Do some unis, who require A A A take into account the fact that someone got A* A A as predicted?

Glasgow is Scottish, so like all other Scottish universities, the spaces they have available for this year is significantly reduced. It’s a very risky option.

I don’t think having in-person W/E will make much of a difference because they need to make it fair for everyone
Do some unis, who require A A A take into account the fact that someone got A* A A as predicted?

Yes, it can strengthen your application depending on how carry out their assessments.
You can also consider Sheffield and Glasgow depending on your GCSE breakdown. See this link https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements

I don't think Sheffield would be an option, u need to have quite a high UCAT for dentistry
Original post by spectrum84
I don't think Sheffield would be an option, u need to have quite a high UCAT for dentistry

I agree, ultimately there isn’t any perfect fit in this case, but there are some dental schools that the OP definitely can’t apply to, some which are risky (such as Sheffield, QUB and the Scottish schools) and some which may be their best bet (Plymouth).
I agree, ultimately there isn’t any perfect fit in this case, but there are some dental schools that the OP definitely can’t apply to, some which are risky (such as Sheffield, QUB and the Scottish schools) and some which may be their best bet (Plymouth).

Kings edsp do not require as high of a ucat as standard entry therefore this person could still have a chance no?
Original post by Susixxhshsj
Kings edsp do not require as high of a ucat as standard entry therefore this person could still have a chance no?

Do you know for sure that they have a lower standard for UCAT?
Do you know for sure that they have a lower standard for UCAT?

I’ve seen numerous ppl get in with low ucats even one with 580!
I rlly think if u have a low ucat it can be made up for with this programme for example gcses a levels personal statement
Original post by Susixxhshsj
I’ve seen numerous ppl get in with low ucats even one with 580!
I rlly think if u have a low ucat it can be made up for with this programme for example gcses a levels personal statement

Sure but is their lower UCAT requirement published on their website do you know? I’m only aware about their lower A Level offer.

Quick Reply

Latest