The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Does UCL have a reputation internationally? Internationals input please :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Biddyish
Sure - (not a kid by the way young man - I already have a degree and a professional qualification).

QS World Rankings (International).

MIT - Employer Reputation Score 100.
UCL - Employer Reputation Score 95.6
Manchester - Employer Reputation Score 100.

Now I'm not the biggest fan of rankings but I would say that their methodology is a little bit better than yours.

Incidentally - I wouldn't assume if I were you that I don't know people at the various banks that you cite as representative places for investigation.

And I'm pretty sure their methodology significantly involves asking people around, which you yourself had just said was "codswallop", unless they do something magical which turns the "significantly codswallop" into "data". BTW, employer reputations are a very poor measure since it includes people working at McDonalds, Chicken Cottage, etc. If you pull an FT article stating that "City and Canary Wharf companies look more favourably towards Manchester than UCL" then I will bend a knee to you, call you the winner and never doubt you again. In the mean time, I will take my observations of my peers at top investment banks over statistics which include all forms of employment, including minimum wage ones.

Original post by Tuerin
You clearly have some kind of psychosis if you're going to accuse other people in this thread of acting like they know everything. You just flat out dismissed the employer reputation of 5 strong russell group universities on the basis of nothing, by your own admission, but 'chat' and a single list of interns at a single european bank. Heck, you even assumed to know whether I know what I want out of life from a few posts on an internet forum. If that isn't acting like you know everything I don't know what is.

And you just challenged my credentials on another topic, and when confronted, accused me of googling the proof before mysteriously vanishing away. If you're not a troll then I don't know what you are.
(edited 11 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by sadhukar
And I'm pretty sure their methodology significantly involves asking people around, which you yourself had just said was "codswallop", unless they do something magical which turns the "significantly codswallop" into "data". BTW, employer reputations are a very poor measure since it includes people working at McDonalds, Chicken Cottage, etc. If you pull an FT article stating that "City and Canary Wharf companies look more favourably towards Manchester than UCL" then I will bend a knee to you, call you the winner and never doubt you again. In the mean time, I will take my observations of my peers at top investment banks over statistics which include all forms of employment, including minimum wage ones.

And you just challenged my credentials on another topic, and when confronted, accused me of googling the proof before mysteriously vanishing away. If you're not a troll then I don't know what you are.

So that's how you explain MIT's employer score?

You think the EMPLOYER reputation score is taken by asking EMPLOYEES at McDonalds?

Er...which bank is it you're with?
Ha! that's an exotic response you have TC.

Personally, a coffee barister at King's Cross didn't know what UCL was. Rest of the world? Don't bother. From my experience, everyone just nods and say "Oh, so you're from Los Angeles...". UCL is well known in academia and (most importantly) companies, but the plebians around the world have no clue what UCL is. But that's okay, no one knows what Cornell, Dartmouth or CalTech is either.

I've actually met a few people who aren't aware that Oxford and Cambridge are good universities, let alone UCL. I know a friend of mine lied to his Mum and said that Sheffield Hallam was up there with the best universities in the UK.

In response to OP: Yes and no. It has more so than most UK universities, but less so than Oxbridge. Most, if not all, international businesses will have heard of it though.
Reply 43
So that's how you explain MIT's employer score?

You think the EMPLOYER reputation score is taken by asking EMPLOYEES at McDonalds?

Er...which bank is it you're with?

What I mean is it involves asking managers at McDonalds, etc. And yes, the majority of it is from respondents.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/methodology/employer-reputation-index

Er....where did you graduate from again? If it's UCL then how the hell did they accept you in?
Reply 44
What I mean is it involves asking managers at McDonalds, etc. And yes, the majority of it is from respondents.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/methodology/employer-reputation-index

Er....where did you graduate from again? If it's UCL then how the hell did they accept you in?

Actually all of it will be from respondents. If they didn't use responses they'd have to use random opinions - like you did.

So you're sticking with the position that the MIT 100% score is because a large number of their graduates end up at McDonalds? but the UCL 95.6% is because their graduates end up at investment banks?

Their methodology is actually rather good. They have more than 20 years of feedback from a large number of organizations in a variety of sectors of the international economy and ask them how they rate the graduates of different universities - that is to say they assess people who have actually studied at the universities in question.

I graduated from Oxford and Harvard Law School. I'm actually holding an offer from UCL at the moment for Chemical Engineering. It's a perfectly fine institution but so are many others, including those you ridiculed having had a few chats.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DiyaM95
What I'm saying is that while prestige is important, it shouldn't be the main deciding factor.
If you turn up to LSE or Oxford for Law and hate studying there, you'll find it extraordinarily difficult and an unpleasant experience getting a 2.1 or a first. At the end of the day, a first from KCL/UCL will still look better than a middling second class degree from Oxbridge/LSE.

And it's three years of your life! I'm sorry, but why wouldn't you choose a university you know suits you?

If I get LSE, I'd still be firming UCL over it because I know that the Law Society's social calendar is far more up my street, the degree I hold the offer for includes a year in Spain and I prefer the course overall. Surely they're perfectly valid reasons to choose a university?

Just to throw in an opinion here. I'm final-year Law at the LSE and have now gone through the entire system of applications, etc. and have emerged on the other side.

In my experience, things like an attractive university social calendar are irrelevant to the study of law.

If you turn up at LSE/Oxford/Cambridge/UCL/King's for Law and you struggle, it will have very little to do with the university and almost everything to do with your own mindset. I have friends at UCL and Oxbridge reading law and I can tell you there is no difference in the amount of 'struggle' people face academically.

It's three years of your life, yes, but don't delude yourself into thinking these three years are vitally important to 'enjoy' in the right place with the right atmosphere. There three years are vitally important to set yourself up for whatever comes next (the Bar, a TC, an LLM, etc.) Going to a university that is frankly more well-known (and I'm not saying better) will help you a lot more in the grand scheme of things.

But that's just my two cents.

PS: I never applied to UCL myself for Law, visited the campus in 2009 and I have to admit, the experience was pretty horrendous, pretty much the opposite of whatever impression you've had. That actually contributed towards shaping my opinion of the place as well.
Reply 46
Boo hoo boo hoo. Please tell me all of this again when you get into an investment bank/big 4 consultancy in 2015. Companies like UCL more than low tier Russell's, live with it. If you can't face the harsh reality of life then I fear for when you graduate and try to get a job. "B B B BUT I HAVE A FIRST!" you say, well HR sifting through thousands of applications each hour won't hear you, and after filing out everyone who didn't get a 2:1 will then be looking at brand name. What are you doing on the UCL board anyway?

P.S. Oxford IS a top Russell, so your point is completely idiotic. Nice try.

I'm not interested in Investment Banking or Finance. So I won't be applying. The problem is, snobs at London universities like you allow yourself to be drawn into this false sense of superiority that only your university is targeted by the top firms. I've been at uni since October, and I'll list the Banking/Accountancy/Law firms that have been here since then:

Deloitte
JP Morgan Chase
Morgan Stanley
Slaughter & May
Linklaters
Hogan Lovells

Sounds like the type of companies I'd want to work for if I was in that area. I hope at UCL or whichever London uni you are at, you are not told to win arguments by saying 'live with it'. You're talking nonsense, and you're a typical TSR London university snob. Oxbridge, then a chunk of really good unis, this idea of 'tiers' is nonsense.
When I tell Canadian people I am going to UCL this is what happens:

"I am going to UCL"
"UCL-A?"
"No, UCL"
"Oh...I think i've heard of it"

Mind you, its #4 on QS world rankings.
Reply 48
Original post by HibernatingSeal

"I am going to UCL"
"UCL-A?"
"No, UCL"

I think this is what ALWAYS happens to basically everyone. I've had the exact same experience.

#4 by the QS world rankings is clearly and immensely a huge exaggeration. You might make the case for UCL being in the top 20, but top 5 is essentially impossible.
Reply 49

"I am going to UCL"
"UCL-A?"
"No, UCL"

#17*
but yep thats the reaction.
Reply 50
Original post by intstud29
Ok, so you don't believe any ranking that puts UCL each year among top 20 in the world.

Ok, then email these firms and asks them if they have heard of UCL, they definitely have:smile:

http://www.universumglobal.com/IDEAL-Employer-Rankings

As I told you in that other thread, where that Investment-monkey disagreed,:biggrin: which is to choose the course which you will enjoy and where you will score a 1st. That opens up possibilities at MSc-level, such as scholarships etc. Which means, you don't need to choose between UCL, LSE etc, you can get both.

That's actually quite good advice.
Original post by baggyyo
#17*

Its 4th on QS, which in my experience most North Americans trust the most. I agree that while UCL is an amazing university, 4th place is not warranted, but I think it balances out all the other unfair rankings like it being 13th nationally according to The Sunday Times.

#17 is really not a trustworthy number for me, because it comes from THE rankings. Toronto above New York and Brown? That's ridiculous. Any Canadian studying a popular course at U of T can tell you how impersonal and generally ****ty the education can be (although the resources are quite good).

Anyway. The point I was trying to get across is that UCL is not a household name like Oxbridge or Harvard, but really, few schools are. If you tell people that you go to UCL and they want to find out about it, soon after googling they will go: "Ohhhhh. I've heard of UCL from my psychology class" or something along those lines. So obviously, any reputable employer in North America will be very familiar with UCL. And once again, it helps that most North Americans use QS rankings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by baggyyo
#17*

Hmm could always try saying University College London

v

University of California in Los Angeles

and see which one they take seriously :smile:
Reply 53
Hmm could always try saying University College London

v

University of California in Los Angeles

and see which one they take seriously :smile:

hahhahaha true.
Well I applied to UCL and was considering applying to UCLA and when i said both, they recognized ucla but thats just the name i guess! :smile:
Now I can't choose between Imperial and Warwick. Don't know which is better.
Reply 54
Incidentally, for the chap with the investment bank fetish....

here's the board of directors for Morgan Stanley.....

North Carolina State, LSE, Duke, Manchester all get a mention..

http://www.morganstanley.com/about/company/governance/board.html

These guys should have taken his advice to go somewhere reputable - they'd be quite successful now.
Reply 55
Original post by arrowhead
Just to throw in an opinion here. I'm final-year Law at the LSE and have now gone through the entire system of applications, etc. and have emerged on the other side.

In my experience, things like an attractive university social calendar are irrelevant to the study of law.

If you turn up at LSE/Oxford/Cambridge/UCL/King's for Law and you struggle, it will have very little to do with the university and almost everything to do with your own mindset. I have friends at UCL and Oxbridge reading law and I can tell you there is no difference in the amount of 'struggle' people face academically.

It's three years of your life, yes, but don't delude yourself into thinking these three years are vitally important to 'enjoy' in the right place with the right atmosphere. There three years are vitally important to set yourself up for whatever comes next (the Bar, a TC, an LLM, etc.) Going to a university that is frankly more well-known (and I'm not saying better) will help you a lot more in the grand scheme of things.

But that's just my two cents.

PS: I never applied to UCL myself for Law, visited the campus in 2009 and I have to admit, the experience was pretty horrendous, pretty much the opposite of whatever impression you've had. That actually contributed towards shaping my opinion of the place as well.

Well, I respect that people will have different opinions of different universities. I visited UCL and really loved it, and liked it better than LSE, and I like the course that they're offering me better. Isn't that reason enough to choose one over the other?
Reply 56

"I am going to UCL"
"UCL-A?"
"No, UCL"

If they're Canadian they could actually be saying UCL eh? instead of UCLA?

They like to say "eh" a lot in Canada.
Reply 57
Original post by baggyyo
hahhahaha true.
Well I applied to UCL and was considering applying to UCLA and when i said both, they recognized ucla but thats just the name i guess! :smile:
Now I can't choose between Imperial and Warwick. Don't know which is better.

What are you applying for? Warwick is very very strong for Law, Economics and Business - by which I mean internationally (although I haven't specifically asked a couple of people at the bank :smile: )
Reply 58
Original post by Eboracum
Oxbridge, then a chunk of really good unis, this idea of 'tiers' is nonsense.

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2011/11/how_elite_firms.html

Sorry buddy.

If you don't like London snobs then you could hop back to the York board, you know.
Reply 59
http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2011/11/how_elite_firms.html

Sorry buddy.

If you don't like London snobs then you could hop back to the York board, you know.

What has that proved? Nothing. I critiqued your argument that big firms don't target universities other than yours.

Sorry buddy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending