The Student Room Group

Whatever happened to being frank, Frank?

Scroll to see replies

I guess its good in the fact that the website is so simple, a young kid could differentiate between diffrent drugs and learn some of the dangers of them.

But once you get past a certain age you need REAL infomation on drugs as their infomation is dumbed down and often incorrect (and also answer many questions incorectly.
So smart people will use Erowid, dancesafe, bluelight, drugs-fourm, partyvibe,
theshroomery, etc...

On the plus side for Frank, it tells you all the slang words that only newspapers and old people use for drugs, so we can decode what on Earth they are talking about?
Meow-meow? Mkat? No, its called drone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)

I agree with most of your post but this final point is a bit iffy , different areas / country's have different slang terms for different drugs ... Mkat for instance i've heard called:

Bubble
Mdog
Meow-meow (not form an old person or news paper either)
Dons etc

Never heard it called drone but i'm not doubting that is a name it has also been given.

I'm sure you'll know most of the decent harm reduction sites request only the actual chemical name be used for this very reason.

Though why anyone would touch the stuff is beyond me, far safer and more enjoyable alternatives out there.
Reply 22
Don't listen to drug information from the government, they are bias already. Most of the bad things they say about drugs would be solved if they were legalised (dodgy chemicals being added, ect).

The worst part is that they claim to be impartial so those who don't look into it further think that frank is right.

The fact that they are infringing on the forums "free speech" (don't start being pedantic about this I recognise the flaws in that statement hence the ""'s ), by changing posts to be what they want to show people is just wrong and yet another proof that the war on drugs is a failure so much so that they have to resort to lying to get their point across.
Original post by n00
Ah so TSR receive ad revenue from FRANK and inturn are expected to encourage discussions strickly in accordance with FRANK's/Home Office drug policy?

Well thats seems fair enough then. I better take this opportunity to appologise to TSR's head of student marketing given his appearance here to clear things up for us, of course TSR's ad revenue is far more important than the welfare of their members.

We're not being paid by FRANK at all, we thought some students on the site would have some questions on the topic and had an opportunity for someone to come on and chat to them.
I learned absolutely nothing useful about drugs when I was at school. All we had was scare tactics ranging from silly videos to actual real life people who had been affected somehow by drugs.

There was a really famous case about a girl who died from taking ecstasy at a party at her house, and after she consumed so much water that she died from water intoxication. Her dad came to talk to our school about the dangers of taking ecstasy.

In this scenario it was portrayed that she died from taking the ecstasy and it was widely reported it was the first time she'd taken the drug - this was wrong and yet more scare mongering. She'd taken the drug a few times before and would have probably survived if she had taken the drug without consuming that volume of water while under the influence.

Sure it's a tragedy - it's horrible. Did we get any of the countless fathers who had lost their children to alcohol coming to speak to us though? No.

All of my learning about drugs happened after I left school and I researched it myself. The government needs to stop lying about this issue.
Reply 25
Original post by Captain Jack
We're not being paid by FRANK at all, we thought some students on the site would have some questions on the topic and had an opportunity for someone to come on and chat to them.

Sorry I doubted your intentions. Hopefully you can understand my misgivings, it seems to me very naive to believe that FRANK could be taken seriously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dave_123

Bubble
Mdog
Meow-meow (not form an old person or news paper either)
Dons etc

Really?! Haha there are some odd ones there! Maybe its because I have never been raving outside of London.
Reply 27
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I guess its good in the fact that the website is so simple, a young kid could differentiate between diffrent drugs and learn some of the dangers of them.

But once you get past a certain age you need REAL infomation on drugs as their infomation is dumbed down and often incorrect (and also answer many questions incorectly.
So smart people will use Erowid, dancesafe, bluelight, drugs-fourm, partyvibe,
theshroomery, etc...

On the plus side for Frank, it tells you all the slang words that only newspapers and old people use for drugs, so we can decode what on Earth they are talking about?

[video="youtube;Kw5RWITXOn4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5RWITXOn4[/video]
i talk to my plants and they say to me "when you gonna stop eating all our food? :frown:"
Reply 28
About FRANK, (it is not a mate, or a person, so I will not call it Frank in a way a person would want their name typed), in my day job I work with the homeless, young, young out of care, old, men, women, foreign nationals (most either stranded or had their passport stolen) the vulnerable in generation, bar children and under 17s. A huge aspect of this job revolves around the concepts of harm reduction and finding them accommodation, helping them become independent and hopefully, off the benefit system. Substance misuse plays a huge part in my job every day.

FRANK is a load of ****e. The information is hyped up and bias, and does not provide a huge amount of useful information.

I will say that it is an ok source if you want to know what is being sold on the streets, if you're a professional. I found it handy to find out nicknames for prescription drugs and some legal highs, but I could have done that on Google and find out much better information, Wikipedia was better!

To keep funders happy we have to enforce some sort of drug regulation, and its one of the most ineffective ways to control and understand, and work with users.

And most importantly, not every drug user is an addict. Most go about their business like everyone else, and treat their drug of choice like they would Alcohol. Weed to relax, an E or 4 for a rave, whatever makes you happy.

FRANK is a concept made by men in shirts and ties with little regard for the money they're spending. It would have a lot of potential for real education by using evidence and real testimonies of ex addicts of users such as Heroin, and real professionals working with drugs every day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by n00
So it appears that talktofrank are splurging out on another advertising/propoganda campaign, including here on TSR. If you head over to health you will see a quite commical thread thats had all genuine questions removed to be replaced with blatantly fake users asking fake questions inline with FRANKS current propoganda campaign.

So a couple of questions, how do you feel about TSR censoring and propagandising an important issue along with Home Office wishes?

Does anyone honestly see talktofrank as anything but a joke?

How about we wait and see what the replies are before jumping to conclusions?

How do you know the "genuine" questions have been removed out of interest?
Reply 30
Original post by py0alb
How about we wait and see what the replies are before jumping to conclusions?

We've had 10 years of FRANK i'm not jumping to any conclusions, we know what they are about. Scaremongering is entirely counterproductive if your aim is to clear up confusion.

Original post by py0alb

How do you know the "genuine" questions have been removed out of interest?

I watched question after question disapear to be replaced within a few minutes of each other by a load of questions from anonymous.
Reply 31
Original post by n00
We've had 10 years of FRANK i'm not jumping to any conclusions, we know what they are about. Scaremongering is entirely counterproductive if your aim is to clear up confusion.

I watched question after question disapear to be replaced within a few minutes of each other by a load of questions from anonymous.

You're been very attentive. Can you give us some examples?
Reply 32
Original post by py0alb

What of deleted posts? Nope.
Reply 33
Original post by n00
What of deleted posts? Nope.

Can you not remember any of them at all?
Reply 34
Original post by py0alb

I'll check out the FRANK site on Cannabis.

"A big myth about cannabis is that it’s safe because it’s natural. Cannabis has some very real, harmful effects on your mind and body, as well as creating longer-term problems:"

"Using it has also been linked, in some people, to serious, long-term mental health problems."

"Regular cannabis use is known to be associated with an increase in the risk of later developing psychotic illnesses including schizophrenia; and if you have a family background of mental illness, you may also have an increased risk."

"Tobacco and cannabis share some of the same chemical 'nasties' and just like smoking tobacco, smoking cannabis has been linked to lung diseases like tuberculosis and lung cancer. "

"It can increase the heart rate and affect blood pressure, which can be especially harmful for those with heart disease."

"It is reported that frequent use of cannabis may affect fertility. It can cut a man's sperm count and can suppress ovulation in women."

"Can you get addicted to cannabis?

The simple answer is ‘yes, people do become dependent on cannabis’. This means you can get 'cravings’ for cannabis, and may have difficulty staying off it even if you recognise using it has started to cause you problems.

And regular users can also get some unpleasant

withdrawal symptoms on stopping, including irritability, mood changes, feeling sick, loss of appetite, difficulty sleeping; and even sweating, shaking and diarrhoea in some people."

Cannabis has anti cancerous properties, the UK Government gave a Pharmaceutical company a licence to grow Cannabis to create a medical spray that is basically... Cannabis, nothing added, and sell for a lot of money, so by that very fact, FRANK is talking ****.

Prohibition causes criminals to spray weed to make it heavier and stronger, therefore the ills of cannabis tend to be caused by the same people funding the FRANK campaign, the Government and its policies. There are vast resources available on the medicinal properties and on the dangers that all come to the same conclusion the Dutch did a long time ago.

What a load of **** FRANK is.
Reply 35
Original post by Jim-ie
I'll check out the FRANK site on Cannabis

Cannabis has anti cancerous properties, the UK Government gave a Pharmaceutical company a licence to grow Cannabis to create a medical spray that is basically... Cannabis, nothing added, and sell for a lot of money, so by that very fact, FRANK is talking ****.

Prohibition causes criminals to spray weed to make it heavier and stronger, therefore the ills of cannabis tend to be caused by the same people funding the FRANK campaign, the Government and its policies. There are vast resources available on the medicinal properties and on the dangers that all come to the same conclusion the Dutch did a long time ago.

What a load of **** FRANK is.

I meant example of deleted questions, but thanks anyway.
Reply 36
Is FRANK a no show?

If its just a counsellor we're waiting for why not just go on thier website and use the live chat feature to get the official government line on legal highs?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending