The Student Room Group

Which language should I study, French or Italian?

I want to do Biology with a foreign language at university, the university has emailed me to ask me which language I wish to study. I will choose either French or Italian.

I am currently living in France and learning french and I am good at French... I am level C1 if that means anything to you but no where near fluent! I can have conversations etc. and understand most if they don't speak so fast though! I did it for A-level.
My Italian is basic... I got A* GCSE but where I live in france they speak italian a lot too so i get to practise it, it is hard for me to speak and only basic but i can understand a lot.

i can't decide which to do... which would be better for me. i love french and france but i also really like italian and would love to be fluent in both, my french is already advanced and will be even more advanced by the time i leave france... so... i need some advice!
Original post by laseine
I want to do Biology with a foreign language at university, the university has emailed me to ask me which language I wish to study. I will choose either French or Italian.

I am currently living in France and learning french and I am good at French... I am level C1 if that means anything to you but no where near fluent! I can have conversations etc. and understand most if they don't speak so fast though! I did it for A-level.
My Italian is basic... I got A* GCSE but where I live in france they speak italian a lot too so i get to practise it, it is hard for me to speak and only basic but i can understand a lot.

i can't decide which to do... which would be better for me. i love french and france but i also really like italian and would love to be fluent in both, my french is already advanced and will be even more advanced by the time i leave france... so... i need some advice!

I study both at university and love both, so really, I'd say whatever you prefer!

You sound like you'd be motivated to learn Italian. If you put in a bit of effort during the summer you could get the basics and some oral confidence.

With French, you'd have a much easier ride, probably higher grades, though you wouldn't get the extra language.

Personally I find Italian easier in terms of spelling and pronunciation (it's a phonetic language) and French easier in terms of vocabulary-modern French lliterature tends to be quite concise, like English literature, whereas Italian literature is often quite flowery containing many synonyms and archaic language.
Reply 2
Original post by laseine

French will be more useful.
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
French will be more useful.

yeah this is what i decided on, would rather be totally fluent in french than moderate in both.
Reply 4
French will be a lot more useful and the fact that you already speak it to an advanced level means that you won't be distracted from biology as much by trying to improve.
I'd say Italian. You can already speak very good French, so why not add a third language to your repertoire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending