The Student Room Group

APEL Forms/Claims PgDip Nursing 2013

I was wondering whether anyone has to fill out or do one of these APEL claims (accreditation of prior learning) for PgDip nursing?

I thought I could start this thread to get everyone together who has to do one of these (it seems horrible) things as a place to get support, ask questions, share advice and tips.

Am I right in thinking each uni has a different APEL claims process?

I am currently trying to fill out the APEL form given to me by Kings. It has 22 points which I have to prove I have done or can demonstrate understanding in.

Any offer made is conditional upon this form so it must be pretty important as it seems everything rides on it!!!!!!!!! eek!!!

I am stuck on:
I have the ability to articulate and justify the decisions I make and problem solving processes I use.
I use logical and systematic thinking and the ability to draw reasoned conclusions and sound, sustainable judgements.

Help!!!!

Rebecca
Reply 1
Hi.

I just graduated from the PG Dip at KCL and I did a psych degree before that. I had no healthcare experience beforehand, so I just drew upon university experiences and prior education to complete the APEL.

Do you have any care experience? I would think that might be a good place to start, for instance to answer your first problem you could discuss manual handling a frail or bariatric patient as this might not be as straightforward as you might think. It sounds simple, but they don't need over-complicated answers and I got in by discussing the skills I learned at uni, as you use problem solving processes with teamwork, communication etc.

Also for your second point: I just discussed essays for mine, you'll be doing a lot of critical thinking in your King's work so any experience you have is handy.

Just my two cents, but I got in with just a uni degree and, imo a weak APEL form. This was after the maths/literacy tests and group discussion - I think they'd made their decision by then, I wouldn't worry about APEL too much.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice. Yeh I'm a HCA at Queen Elizabeth, Woolwich so can draw a lot from that.

Congratulations on just graduating. What branch? Is it really full on, lots of essays, full timetables etc? I hear a few people preferred to do the BSc so not to cram three years into two. I was also wondering about placements, how do mentors go about teaching everything so fast?

You put my mind a little at ease about the APEL, I guess they wouldn't give you an offer if they didn't think you had a claim. Would be interesting to hear from people who didn't pass the APEL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
hi, so just to confirm you didnt have any care work experience??

ive only got 45 but i did a healthcare degree for three years

will this suffice?

Tolani
Reply 4
I tried to APEL because I already had a foundation degree in health and social care. Having a meeting with my course leader she basically said its up to me if I want to take the "risk". She said she's known some student APEL and on 3rd year NMC have not been satisfied with their overall credits etc and they've not been able to qualify so I didn't bother risking it over a few essays. She said it is rare but my sort of quals she said it could happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending