The Student Room Group

How does student finance work if I transfer universities in January

I have the opportunity to study at the postgraduate level of my course in January but it would require me to change universities. How would the funding work for this
Original post by halcyondayz
I have the opportunity to study at the postgraduate level of my course in January but it would require me to change universities. How would the funding work for this

Hi there, is it a postgraduate degree you are currently doing? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, is it a postgraduate degree you are currently doing? Thanks, Jason

I’m currently doing the undergraduate version of the same course
I’m currently doing the undergraduate version of the same course

Thanks when is the undergraduate course end? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Thanks when is the undergraduate course end? Thanks, Jason

August 2026
August 2026

You wouldn't be able to be funded for both an undergraduate and postgraduate degree at the same time. You can only apply for a Postgraduate through us when you've completed the undergraduate one. Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
You wouldn't be able to be funded for both an undergraduate and postgraduate degree at the same time. You can only apply for a Postgraduate through us when you've completed the undergraduate one. Thanks, Jason

I intend to withdraw from my undergraduate to study my postgraduate but I’ve already received funding for the undergraduate. Could I just pay the university the 25% tuition and move on
I intend to withdraw from my undergraduate to study my postgraduate but I’ve already received funding for the undergraduate. Could I just pay the university the 25% tuition and move on

Yes, as long as the courses don't overlap and you've withdrawn prior to this. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Yes, as long as the courses don't overlap and you've withdrawn prior to this. Thanks, Jason

How would the funding work though, do I just keep my maintenance loan or do I pay it back and reapply for the same one. Can I transfer any of my fees to my new uni.
How would the funding work though, do I just keep my maintenance loan or do I pay it back and reapply for the same one. Can I transfer any of my fees to my new uni.

No as the Postgraduate is different funding. We don't offer a tuition fee or a maintenance loan. It's a Postgraduate loan that is paid to you directly in three instalments. You would use this to pay the fees to the university.

Depending on when you withdraw we'll do a reassessment and notify you if you've been overpaid. Thanks, Jason
Reply 10
No as the Postgraduate is different funding. We don't offer a tuition fee or a maintenance loan. It's a Postgraduate loan that is paid to you directly in three instalments. You would use this to pay the fees to the university.

Depending on when you withdraw we'll do a reassessment and notify you if you've been overpaid. Thanks, Jason

The postgraduate course I’m doing is nursing and that follows the undergraduate funding model so how does that work
The postgraduate course I’m doing is nursing and that follows the undergraduate funding model so how does that work

Hi there,

What is the full name of this nursing course and the university? We'll check this.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 12
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

What is the full name of this nursing course and the university? We'll check this.

Thanks, Graeme

I’m going from Lincoln BSc MHN to Southampton PGDip MHN
I’m going from Lincoln BSc MHN to Southampton PGDip MHN

Okay, yes - I think I've found the course. On our system it has a course code of 8199 and 8378.

On our system this shows as a Postgraduate Healthcare course. So, courses like this attract undergraduate funding.

If you already have a 23/24 undergraduate application you should be fine to have your new university send us a transfer Change of Circumstances (COC) to update your existing application with the new course details. Your payments can then continue as normal.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending