The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham-Accomodation and Halls?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nushi
I was there on Friday and we were shown a room in Cripps which is really centrally located, right next to the library and very close to the English department. The room was quite big and the one they showed us shared a bathroom with one other room. I was thinking about a shared catered room because I don't want to have to worry about cooking and cleaning up and of course a shared room is much cheaper and I can think of a lot better things to spend my money on.

Do you pick who you share with though??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by smithstefan1995
Do you pick who you share with though??

No, you have to complete a questionaire and they try to match people with the same interests. I'm hoping it will be another way of making friends. I really can't wait to start now, I just want it to be September.
What subject have you applied for and where are you coming from?
Original post by nushi
No, you have to complete a questionaire and they try to match people with the same interests. I'm hoping it will be another way of making friends. I really can't wait to start now, I just want it to be September.
What subject have you applied for and where are you coming from?

Ohh I see! Same just wanna be there! Visiting again on the 9th! Economics and Essex! You?

Reply 23
Ohh I see! Same just wanna be there! Visiting again on the 9th! Economics and Essex! You?

I have an offer for English & Classical Civilisations and I live in London. Last Friday was my second time to see the campus and it just confirmed I really want to go there.
Original post by nushi
I have an offer for English & Classical Civilisations and I live in London. Last Friday was my second time to see the campus and it just confirmed I really want to go there.

Nice! I've already been twice! Haha, I just love it so much! Just need to make sure which accommodation is near economics haha

Reply 25
Nice! I've already been twice! Haha, I just love it so much! Just need to make sure which accommodation is near economics haha

Most of the catered accommodation is within 5 minutes walk of the English department but not sure where the economics department is. Let me know how you get on and maybe we will meet in September.
Reply 26
Original post by Lawsg
Hello! I'm an international student as well and I'm heading over to read law this year. Just wanna ask if there's anyone living at broadgate park? Would you recommend it? There seem to be really bad reviews about it online saying that it's dirty and unsafe etc. how true is that? Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm a current first year at Nottingham and I have friends who live at Broadgate and they love it :smile: from the block I've been in its certainly not dirty or unsafe - I often see the cleaners about :smile:

Reply 27
Original post by Omlette06
Hey guys! I just received a letter of acceptance for Nottingham yesterday, for an exchange in Architecture. The problem is that my first option was the Uni of Bath, but I didn't get in and I have great doubts about my second option, Nottingham. The thing is I have friends in Birmingham and from what they've told me, Nottingham is a very unsafe city, as they were talking about all kinds of thiefs and other 'bad guys'. I would like to hear some opinions from actual students in this uni before I make my decision. How is life on campus? What would you say about the centre or going out at night there? I wanna come there and be able to go out in a bar or something and return home safely.
Also, could someone tell me how is life in the Broadgate Park accommodation hall?
It would really help a lot if you guys could give some honest opinions about the city! Have a nice day!

Life on campus is great in my opinion. I don't really go out much but when I have the city has been absolutely fine and I've never heard anything negative from friends - only what great nights they've had. Public transport is easy, frequent and cheap (£1 for students) and taxis are similar as long as you go with registered ones obviously. Notts is like any other major city, I was worried just like you, yes there is crime but I've not experienced any since living here and neither has anyone I know, including some third years :smile:

I absolutely love it here and I have anxiety so I'm sure you'd be fine! My friends live in Broadgate park and they love it there too, good self catered, clean, warm, fix any troubles quickly, near to campus (20 minute walk to the centre max), shop on site but then close to Beeston town centre for actual supermarkets. Couldn't recommend the uni or the city more - so much to do and places to go and it's so easy to get around.

Again with regards to crime you just need to have standard common sense...don't wander about on your own, especially not drunk, keep valuables on you, get taxis in groups etc. you're unlikely to come to harm :smile:

Reply 28
Original post by Lawsg
Hello! I'm an international student as well and I'm heading over to read law this year. Just wanna ask if there's anyone living at broadgate park? Would you recommend it? There seem to be really bad reviews about it online saying that it's dirty and unsafe etc. how true is that? Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I lived in Broadgate Park last year and it was absolutely fine. I can't think why anyone would describe it as unsafe when there are wardens and security on site all the time, or dirty considering a cleaner comes once a week to clean communal areas - so it only gets as dirty as you allow it to get!

Literally the only unsafe element of it that I experienced is the bike sheds - one guy got his really expensive bike stolen, but to be fair, why would you bring a bike that's supposedly worth £1,500 to uni?!
Reply 29
Original post by hjradley1
Hey, I'm a current first year at Nottingham and I have friends who live at Broadgate and they love it :smile: from the block I've been in its certainly not dirty or unsafe - I often see the cleaners about :smile:

haha alright sounds good then! do you happen to know if the single large is really that much larger than the single room? is it worthwhile to pay an additional 300pound?
Reply 30
Original post by Kenocide
I lived in Broadgate Park last year and it was absolutely fine. I can't think why anyone would describe it as unsafe when there are wardens and security on site all the time, or dirty considering a cleaner comes once a week to clean communal areas - so it only gets as dirty as you allow it to get!

Literally the only unsafe element of it that I experienced is the bike sheds - one guy got his really expensive bike stolen, but to be fair, why would you bring a bike that's supposedly worth £1,500 to uni?!

thanks! always good to hear first hand review :smile: what type of room did you stay in? is the single large really that much larger to pay an additional 300pound as compared to the single room? is there a fridge in the room? and will the entire flat be of the same sex and international students or otherwise? sorry for bombarding you with so many questions! thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by Lawsg
thanks! always good to hear first hand review :smile: what type of room did you stay in? is the single large really that much larger to pay an additional 300pound as compared to the single room? is there a fridge in the room? and will the entire flat be of the same sex and international students or otherwise? sorry for bombarding you with so many questions! thanks in advance :biggrin:

I was in just the standard single room (ie: the cheapest option) which was an ideal size for me. The single large is quite substantially bigger because they tend to be at the ends of the corridors. The size difference essentially manifests itself in terms of floor space so it wouldn't have been worth the extra money for me personally, but the girl in my flat who had the large room used it to 'store' her 1,000 pairs of shoes and approximately 3 million pieces of clothing - she had sooo much stuff that I don't think she could have managed in a standard single!

There is no fridge in the single room but I think there is in the self-contained studio rooms (much more expensive) because they basically come with a mini kitchenette in the room.

If I remember correctly, the policy of UPP who run Broadgate Park is to mix it up in every flat as much as possible in terms of both nationality and gender unless you specifically state a preference otherwise. I think my flat was pretty typical: 2 guys and 3 girls, one of whom was an international Erasmus student.
Reply 32
Original post by hjradley1
Life on campus is great in my opinion. I don't really go out much but when I have the city has been absolutely fine and I've never heard anything negative from friends - only what great nights they've had. Public transport is easy, frequent and cheap (£1 for students) and taxis are similar as long as you go with registered ones obviously. Notts is like any other major city, I was worried just like you, yes there is crime but I've not experienced any since living here and neither has anyone I know, including some third years :smile:

I absolutely love it here and I have anxiety so I'm sure you'd be fine! My friends live in Broadgate park and they love it there too, good self catered, clean, warm, fix any troubles quickly, near to campus (20 minute walk to the centre max), shop on site but then close to Beeston town centre for actual supermarkets. Couldn't recommend the uni or the city more - so much to do and places to go and it's so easy to get around.

Again with regards to crime you just need to have standard common sense...don't wander about on your own, especially not drunk, keep valuables on you, get taxis in groups etc. you're unlikely to come to harm :smile:

Thank you very much hjradley1 and everyone else who helped me with some information. This is really useful since this was my only concern in regard to the university there. I just have to wait for a few more paperwork to be done and then i'll get started with applying for the accommodation. Have a nice day! :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Kenocide
I was in just the standard single room (ie: the cheapest option) which was an ideal size for me. The single large is quite substantially bigger because they tend to be at the ends of the corridors. The size difference essentially manifests itself in terms of floor space so it wouldn't have been worth the extra money for me personally, but the girl in my flat who had the large room used it to 'store' her 1,000 pairs of shoes and approximately 3 million pieces of clothing - she had sooo much stuff that I don't think she could have managed in a standard single!

There is no fridge in the single room but I think there is in the self-contained studio rooms (much more expensive) because they basically come with a mini kitchenette in the room.

If I remember correctly, the policy of UPP who run Broadgate Park is to mix it up in every flat as much as possible in terms of both nationality and gender unless you specifically state a preference otherwise. I think my flat was pretty typical: 2 guys and 3 girls, one of whom was an international Erasmus student.

Thank you so much Kenocide! I think I would go for the larger room if not I think I would be pretty claustrophobic :X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
is it open to apply yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livvy0606
is it open to apply yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! Opened on the 1st!

Reply 36
Yeah! Opened on the 1st!

oh yh thanks!! have you applied yet??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livvy0606
oh yh thanks!! have you applied yet??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No! I'm firming it Thursday when I get my results, got an invite day Saturday and ill do it after that :smile: where you applying for yours? On campus?

Reply 38
No! I'm firming it Thursday when I get my results, got an invite day Saturday and ill do it after that :smile: where you applying for yours? On campus?

good luck with results!! i will apply for on campus en suite....although i wouldnt mind sharing a bathroom, mum is being fussy so as long as the parents are paying..en suite it is haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
How quickly does the accommodation get filled? I am still waiting for another offer before I firm but I am worried that I could miss out on the type of accommodation that I would prefer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending