The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham-Accomodation and Halls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi :smile: I just got offer for a single study at Willoughby hall, I have to be honest I'm a bit skeptical of it so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Good or bad, I would just like some info about it - for instance, what kind of people live there/what reputation has it got etc. I'm mainly worried that the people who live there are not my type and that it's so far away from the centre of the campus. Thank you :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by chloe299
Just got an offer for accommodation at Hugh Stewart hall. What's it like there? Does anyone have any photos of the hall? So excited for Uni :biggrin: xx Out of interest, how far away is it from the School of Geography? :smile:

Well you are quite lucky, hugh stewart hall is located right next to the clive garnger building where the school of geography is based( most of your lectures (not all) usually will take place here).Depending on where your room is in the hall it would not take more than 4 to 5 mins to the department.
Original post by sarah567
Hi :smile: I just got offer for a single study at Willoughby hall, I have to be honest I'm a bit skeptical of it so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Good or bad, I would just like some info about it - for instance, what kind of people live there/what reputation has it got etc. I'm mainly worried that the people who live there are not my type and that it's so far away from the centre of the campus. Thank you :smile:

Well i have been there once for a seminar but have passed by it almost everyday for the past two years.Well i cant comment on the type of people living there but i am pretty sure you will find some one of your type. It is located at the west entrance, so if your are doing law or social science , it would not be that far a walk for lectures but for science and engineering i suppose its a little bit far, but you should not WORRY at all because a hopper bus stop is located just out side the hall , so you would not have to walk since you can take the hopper bus which run through out the day.Hope this helps a little
Reply 83

I have a friend in willoughby and she really likes it there :smile: with regards to the distance I walk from within Beeston to lectures on the far side of campus every day and even with knee problems it's not that much trouble - half an hour for me max. Would take about 20ish minutes from willoughby to get to the other side of campus and around 10 to get to the centre :smile:

With regards to people, they'll be loads of you so I'm sure you'll find someone you get on with!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by smithstefan1995
Nice! I've already been twice! Haha, I just love it so much! Just need to make sure which accommodation is near economics haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hugh Stewart is the closest Hall, followed by Cripps which is also close by.Most of the other halls are with in walking distance besides there are hopper buses running through out the campus.
Original post by ohdearinsanityy
Cavendish was my favourite one, sadly I got put in Rutland for my first year. Caven is one of the newer ones, so nice and modern looking as it was all refurbished recently. Alongside that it has a big rose garden, lots of green trees and a grass moat surrounding it. It's known to be a highly-social hall and is right next to both Ancaster and Willoughby halls. Heard that the accommodation staff like to put a lot of the musicians in there for some reason? But yet to know that for sure haha. In terms of facilities, it's got everything every other hall has: one of the biggest bars (as it's a bigger hall), laundrettes, big big JCR etc. Take it you're in an en suite? :smile:

I am indeed, thanks for the info! Mind at ease now!! :biggrin: xx
Reply 86
Got my offer for Newark Hall En Suite! Can anyone tell me what it is like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've started an Official Nottingham Firmers 2013 Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/492882774105402/
Original post by EMassey
I've started an Official Nottingham Firmers 2013 Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/492882774105402/

You're all going to think I'm really really weird ahahaha. I've always been the weird one in the group I'm like a male Phoebe from friends tbh. Okay maybe not that extreme :P
Reply 89
Hey, do i need to firm nottingham before i apply for accommodations? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Reply 91
Original post by pomegranat0
Hello, I have an offer from Nottingham and they are my first choice at the mo. :smile: Would you be kind enough to tell me how to get female single sex accommodation for my first year? :confused: Even if you know a group of girls sharing a house I'd be grateful as I don't know any girls in Nottingham to give me a hand! My brother does Medicine at Nottingham but I doubt he wants to live with me or is able to as he's post graduate.

Hi pomegranat0,

I think your best option would be to contact the university accommodation office (here). If you need to be in female-only accommodation for cultural/religious reasons then they need to respect that as they have an anti-discrimination policy! Unfortunately there aren't any female-only halls (I know Florence Boot and Nightingale used to be), however I think you can request to share a flat in Broadgate Park/Raleigh Park/another self-catered hall with only girls.

Alternatively, if you just don't want to share a bathroom with boys then you could get an en-suite room or a shared bathroom with another girl.

My main advice would be don't look for a house straight away unless it's your only option, it's easier to start off in a hall and you'll make more friends :smile: Like I said, talk to the accommodation office, they'll be able to help.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 92
Anyone who's been in catered accommodation, would you say it's more difficult to make friends? I was just wondering because obviously in self-catered you would spend a lot of time with people in your flat in the kitchen, but what happens in catered as there wouldn't be much shared space with your flat?
Original post by erica42
Anyone who's been in catered accommodation, would you say it's more difficult to make friends? I was just wondering because obviously in self-catered you would spend a lot of time with people in your flat in the kitchen, but what happens in catered as there wouldn't be much shared space with your flat?

I think catered halls are great, I have to say most of the friends I made are from halls! :smile:

I'm in Willoughby and I really like it here. Kinda sad I have to leave in June though.. :frown: It's a really nice hall, the hall has a Mix bar, and also serves lunch! (not all halls do this) As for people who are living here, it changes with each year really and there'll plenty of different crowds, so don't worry about getting along with people. As for the distance from the centre it's really not that far, but sometimes if I cba I take the bus from the bus stop which is like a 2 minute walk from the hall. Hope this helps you, if you have any more questions feel free to ask! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by oliviagunapalan
I think catered halls are great, I have to say most of the friends I made are from halls! :smile:

so did you meet and make friends with people at dinner? or in shared bathrooms? I'm just not very confident so I'm a bit nervous already haha
Original post by erica42
so did you meet and make friends with people at dinner? or in shared bathrooms? I'm just not very confident so I'm a bit nervous already haha

I'm in a shared-ensuite so I don't really meet people in shared bathrooms (though I imagine that'll be quite awkward, haha). Definitely made friends at dinner! I honestly don't know how I did it :colondollar:, but hey if I can do it so can you! Don't worry about it! I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends and you'd look back and wonder what you were ever worried about!
Reply 97
I'm in a shared-ensuite so I don't really meet people in shared bathrooms (though I imagine that'll be quite awkward, haha). Definitely made friends at dinner! I honestly don't know how I did it :colondollar:, but hey if I can do it so can you! Don't worry about it! I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends and you'd look back and wonder what you were ever worried about!

that's true I guess haha. thank you, I hope so! :biggrin:
Reply 99
I'm in Willoughby and I really like it here. Kinda sad I have to leave in June though.. :frown: It's a really nice hall, the hall has a Mix bar, and also serves lunch! (not all halls do this) As for people who are living here, it changes with each year really and there'll plenty of different crowds, so don't worry about getting along with people. As for the distance from the centre it's really not that far, but sometimes if I cba I take the bus from the bus stop which is like a 2 minute walk from the hall. Hope this helps you, if you have any more questions feel free to ask! :smile:

Aw thank you! How useful that the bus stops are so close! The more I hear about Willoughby the better it sounds, I'm getting quite excited now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending