The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Thanks for the help
Reply 81
toto8462

- You could also mention that in MEDCs, places of high risk are often highly populated (e.g. by the coast - New Orleans etc.)

80% of the New Orleans metropolitan area is below sea level, development all along that coastline in the path of frequent hurricanes e.g. Katrina and Andrew, your just asking for trouble. (not that any of this relates to the issue but it helps jog my memory) :biggrin:
Reply 82
toto8462
There you go.
Where did you get that definition?

-Also this isn't a strict definition that separates thrust earthquakes from megathrust earthquakes. It says "with moment magnitudes that can exceed 9.0." but it doesn't say moment magnitudes *have* to exceed 9 for it to be a megathrust earthquake.
Reply 83
How would you examine how the impacts of hazards are related to the frequency of them?
Would you say that areas that experience more frequent hazards will be impacted more? Then how could you support this?
But I'm confused because frequent hazards are likely to be of a lesser magnitude, so they won't cause as much damage, and the area is likely to be more prepared. eg California and earthquakes.
Hi, just wanna check something. In the exam, will there be other questions that are non hazard related for people who have studied other things?

Im just worried im going to ansew the wrong bit lol, will there only be one section on hazards?

Sorry, pre exam nerves again :eek: :eek:
Reply 85
Yea, there were other options for this module, should be pretty clear which is for us though x
Reply 86
Biffy Clyro
Firstly, You can just re-do the cw and not the hazards paper can't you??

hey sorry i havent been online for days, i cant just re-sit the cw i have to re-sit both for some reason
stupid exam board
Reply 87
juicy_lemon
Does any one have a good definition for tectonic hazard or climatic hazard, the only ones i can find are really long im never going to remeber them!!!:cool:

Tectonic process occur within the Earth's crust.
Meteorological processes occur in the atmosphere.
Geomorphological processes occur at the Earth's surface.

Also if anyone can answer my question in about frequency and impacts (a few posts above) it would be very helpful :smile:
Reply 88
so basically we need defitintions, models, case studies and some knowledge about why hazards occur where they do, and be able to conclude?
Reply 89
philip67
so basically we need defitintions, models, case studies and some knowledge about why hazards occur where they do, and be able to conclude?

Heh yes there's loads to know and write in a short amount of time.
But, you might not need to write about why hazards occur if the question is only about how the impacts are influenced by human factors.
I haven't learnt anything about the formation of hazards... only simple stuff like earthquakes and volcanoes appear along fault lines... nothing about how they form and I'm hoping I'll be ok...
Reply 90
stuff like Hurricanes need a certain climate to develop in, this is why they are there, as spatial is about areas, so why do they occur here and there. But yer, when i simplify it down to that degree it sounds positivly do-able :biggrin:
Reply 91
hehe :biggrin: yep that sounds do-able to me too.
Reply 92
philip67
stuff like Hurricanes need a certain climate to develop in, this is why they are there, as spatial is about areas, so why do they occur here and there. But yer, when i simplify it down to that degree it sounds positivly do-able :biggrin:

i credit myself with your level of understanding :p:
Reply 93
can someone please tell me what definitions people are learning? does anyone have one 4 "spatial variation"

Thanks
Reply 94
Yeah I'm all good with my case studies but am really struggling with the actual Spatial Variration Definition still
this was on wiki

Spatial distribution is the arrangement of a particular landscape feature or features throughout a unit of space
Reply 96
hi does anybody kow if we have to quote the source of every piece of case study information or is it just for definitions etc. Will we get marked down significantly if we dont put down where we get all of our information from? cheers.
I don't think they can take marks off at all! This essay is their only way of seeing how much u know about hazards. Putting sources really shows that u know ur stuff.
I wish i could remember all my sources!

does anybody have any ideas for diagrams that show spatial variation?
Reply 98
cornstar
hi does anybody kow if we have to quote the source of every piece of case study information or is it just for definitions etc. Will we get marked down significantly if we dont put down where we get all of our information from? cheers.

:dito:
Emma1
hey sorry i havent been online for days, i cant just re-sit the cw i have to re-sit both for some reason
stupid exam board

Tell me about it.... i failed the coursework because i misinterpreted the title - ashame the book i used written by a chief examiner hmmm? I got full marks in the hazards exam in jan and now ive had to re-take the coursework AND do the exam again tomorrow.

Latest

Trending

Trending