College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy City University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CaitlinGall
Amaze advise! Glad you're on here! Hehe..

As late as 6 weeks to look for house! That's mad! Haha.. Any absolute no no's as to where to live? Lol

Xx

I'd recommend trying to get to london to wander round and look at different areas before as then you will have an idea... Ring some estate agents and see how long before they recommend! I think city might have recommended private lets too, not sure (I own my flat so has been a while since I have had to deal with renting!)

As for nonos, I genuinely think everywhere has good and bad bits so can't think of any area I'd say completely avoid, more a case of going for yourself and walking around and see how you feel! Would also recommend looking at flats in dark as well as day.

Xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 21
Yeah, that sounds sensible.. Probably do that April/May time.. :smile:

Thanks again for all the advise!! Really appreciate it!!

Xx
Reply 22
Hey guys,

my boss has said I can have cover for Tuesday if I wanted to go to the open day down in London.. Debating whether to go.. Are any of you going to it?

Xx
Reply 23
Hey, I'm on the waiting list at city for 2013 but have entry into
2014 if I don't get in this year! I'm really hoping I get in this year though as I have been trying for the last 2 years. Anyway, I'm thinking of going to the open day coming up, I have never been to the uni! I'm also thinking of commuting from Essex but would love to move closer. Does anyone know more about applying for a career development loan? Anyone else on the waiting list?!

Natalie
Reply 24
Great to see so many of us here! Thanks for all the useful advice, Flicker.

Regarding living areas... just steer clear of Catford, New Cross, Streatham and Croydon and the like. Anywhere near the Northern line is indeed a good bet as that's the closest line to City. I'm a born and bred ghetto girl so if anyone gets lost, do not fear! :-)

I'll be commuting from Lewisham as my parents live there and although I love the independence of flat sharing, I'm not sure my bank balance could handle it! :biggrin:
Reply 25
Hey guys,

my boss has said I can have cover for Tuesday if I wanted to go to the open day down in London.. Debating whether to go.. Are any of you going to it?

Xx

Me!!! :smile:. I shall ask as many questions as I can think of and report back! Would you be travelling far?

P.S. I think it's only from 5.30 - 7.30 though, right?
Reply 26
Original post by Nataliex22
Hey, I'm on the waiting list at city for 2013 but have entry into
2014 if I don't get in this year! I'm really hoping I get in this year though as I have been trying for the last 2 years. Anyway, I'm thinking of going to the open day coming up, I have never been to the uni! I'm also thinking of commuting from Essex but would love to move closer. Does anyone know more about applying for a career development loan? Anyone else on the waiting list?!

Natalie

Wishing you all the best with getting on the course!! :biggrin: I'll be applying for a career development loan.. I know Barclays and the Cooperative bank do them, up to £10,000.. As the course is NHS funded you have to state that it'll be used for living costs and they then give it to you in one lump sum then.. They have numbers on the banks websites to ring and ask for an application pack.. Not got mine yet, don't know when to get it all started.. lol..

Again, good luck with getting on the course!! :biggrin:

Xx
Reply 27
Original post by zoea85
Me!!! :smile:. I shall ask as many questions as I can think of and report back! Would you be travelling far?

P.S. I think it's only from 5.30 - 7.30 though, right?

I'd be travelling from South Wales.. 3 hours on the bus.. I went to the open day in November so I've seen the campus and been told all the info ofn the course and whatnot.. The only thing that's different is that I've got an offer now so can ask about bursary's and whatnot..

Yeah, its half 5 to half 7, only he two hours.. It's an excuse to go to London though :P haha..

Xx
Reply 28
Wishing you all the best with getting on the course!! :biggrin: I'll be applying for a career development loan.. I know Barclays and the Cooperative bank do them, up to £10,000.. As the course is NHS funded you have to state that it'll be used for living costs and they then give it to you in one lump sum then.. They have numbers on the banks websites to ring and ask for an application pack.. Not got mine yet, don't know when to get it all started.. lol..

Again, good luck with getting on the course!! :biggrin:

Xx

Thank you! I will look into it if I decide to move. So we can apply for a career development loan and we also get a grant of £1000 and a bursary of up to £5,400 I think it was (if living in London). Anything I'm missing?!
Reply 29
Original post by Nataliex22
Thank you! I will look into it if I decide to move. So we can apply for a career development loan and we also get a grant of £1000 and a bursary of up to £5,400 I think it was (if living in London). Anything I'm missing?!

Got it all there.. I didn't know we got a £1000 grant as well as the bursary? Thats lovely :smile: hehe

Xx
Hi everyone!! I just accepted my place last night..all feels very real and exciting now! My background is also Bsc Psychology, and have been working as a speech therapy assistant for 7 months which I have loved! I'm considering commuting it from down south near Brighton..would take an hour and 40 which I think is just about doable (I hope). Looking forwards to meeting you all and thanks Catlin for starting the post!
Reply 31
Helloo, I have just accepted my place for city too! Thanks again for setting up the thread, great idea. My first degree was in linguistics and at the moment I am living at home near Oxford and working as a support worker for children with learning difficulties. I was thinking of commuting in from my Aunts in hertfordshire but train season tickets cost tonnes so think I will be joining the London flat hunt and would definitely be up for a flat share! I'm going to the open evening tomorrow so maybe I will see a couple of you there! I will make a note of anything important in case people who can't make it have any questions x
Hey! Welcome to the thread!! :smile: You have any thoughts on where you're going to live? I was thinking halls but its gone up loads this year :/ Thinking of house sharing now, dont know whether you'd be interested in that? Think it's a heap cheaper.. I'm so excited to move down there!!! :biggrin:

Hi Caitlin! Thank you :smile: I'm really excited too!! Yes, I'd definately be up for a house share! xx
Hi all, have accepted my City offer! Hoping to move down in the summer :smile: will be moving with my boyfriend (we're currently based in Birmingham). I graduated with my first degree in psychology & philosophy 3 years ago and have done various bits & pieces with adults & children with learning disabilities. Currently work as an ABA Tutor for children with autism!

Not sure if I'm going to go to the info evening tomorrow since it's only for a few hours, might just wait until the full open day invite. What does everyone think?
Reply 34
I won't be at the open day tomorrow.. Was seriously considering it cause it was only £12 for the return bus from Cardiff.. Buut, six hours of travel for a two hour thing that I've already been to really, it just isn't worth it I don't think! I'm sure those who are going will keep us posted! :biggrin: hehe..

The only thing I was going to ask was to get a clearer idea of when we'd hear from the NHS about our bursaries, as someone has said, they can be really slow..

I'm glad so many people are interested in house share! It's putting my mind at ease that I'll be living with people who will be in uni with me and not a random joe blog! Not to mention, it's making my nan a lot easier with my move! She's more stressed about me moving there than anyone else, you'd swear she thought I was 12, not 21!! Bless her.. Haha..

xxx
Reply 35
It's great to see more people joining this thread! It's getting me really excited for starting the course :smile: I also can't make the open evening tomorrow night as I can't get the time off work so if anyone who is going could post on here any useful info that would be good! It would be good to know when the offers open day would be if they mention that and any info about placements, looking forward to those! I am also interested in flat sharing, it would be great to live with people on the course and also get to know London together :smile:
Anna xx
Reply 36
Original post by speechie57
It's great to see more people joining this thread! It's getting me really excited for starting the course :smile: I also can't make the open evening tomorrow night as I can't get the time off work so if anyone who is going could post on here any useful info that would be good! It would be good to know when the offers open day would be if they mention that and any info about placements, looking forward to those! I am also interested in flat sharing, it would be great to live with people on the course and also get to know London together :smile:
Anna xx

I am going tomorrow as luckily I have the week off work (half-term) and it's not far to travel so I will ask about bursaries / open days and anything else I can think of. :-)
Reply 37
Original post by gwhitehead13
Hi everyone!! I just accepted my place last night..all feels very real and exciting now! My background is also Bsc Psychology, and have been working as a speech therapy assistant for 7 months which I have loved! I'm considering commuting it from down south near Brighton..would take an hour and 40 which I think is just about doable (I hope). Looking forwards to meeting you all and thanks Catlin for starting the post!

Hiya! I did my BSc in Brighton! It's my favourite place ever. Getting from one side of London to the other can take over an hour so Brighton to London isn't too bad if you could do your placements / study day in Brighton...
Reply 38
Original post by VerityW
Helloo, I have just accepted my place for city too! Thanks again for setting up the thread, great idea. My first degree was in linguistics and at the moment I am living at home near Oxford and working as a support worker for children with learning difficulties. I was thinking of commuting in from my Aunts in hertfordshire but train season tickets cost tonnes so think I will be joining the London flat hunt and would definitely be up for a flat share! I'm going to the open evening tomorrow so maybe I will see a couple of you there! I will make a note of anything important in case people who can't make it have any questions x

Great, see you there! :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by zoea85
Hiya! I did my BSc in Brighton! It's my favourite place ever. Getting from one side of London to the other can take over an hour so Brighton to London isn't too bad if you could do your placements / study day in Brighton...

Just a note-placements won't be in Brighton apart from the first nursery one which you can organise yourself. I think if you don't live in London they aim for your placement to be within one hour of the mainline station in London you usually use... Something like that.

Saying that I think there were a couple of dysphagia specific placements in Haywards Heath. Bit generally placements are within London trusts.

X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending